1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Women’s Empowerment

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Agatha83, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Talks about women empowerment has been gaining strength over the years, but the decibel level turns high on the International women’s day. A bright smile lights up our faces, looking at the substantial achievements of women, particularly those belonging to the lower strata of society, breaking the glass ceiling of the male bastion. But the unending news about violence committed by the male fraternity – stalking, murder, abuse, mindless violence, the list is endless, extinguishes whatever euphoria we feel about women empowerment.

Are women really empowered in taking decisions when it comes to their marriage? Scores of suicides committed by young couples, unable to withstand societal pressures due to their belonging to different caste or status levels, speak a different but sad story. Many a marriage turns sour due to infinite reasons-but when a woman is empowered, both mentally and financially, she can conquer her helplessness in dealing the situation and continue to live in dignity.

So here I present one of my first snippet I wrote about women empowerment under the title ‘Conditional marriages “ in this forum, which got rave reviews and countless nominations! For those who are new in this forum, here I present my old snippet, to have a glimpse of my views on marriage and empowerment!

“Recently while enjoying a humorous talkshow on the TV, I was taken back when an eminent person belonging to the film fraternity whose talk till then was sprinkled with humour suddenly took a serious turn. The cause was some one from the audience asking his opinion about young girls of marriageable age, putting unreasonable conditions before marriage. I could feel the speaker's BP rising when he shouted at all those invisible young women, putting silly conditions at potential grooms, due to which many eligible young men were made to wait the long queue for the D day. "When are you girls going to get married, in your 60s or 80's", he roared and thumped his fists in anger. It suddenly became a serious issue and no laughing matter!

The star of the talk show pulled down those potential women brides for taking such disastrous decisions (which I felt was taken in their own interests) while they were in the process of choosing a partner. He said it was those conditions which broke up alliances right at its nascent stage. He asked all the young men eager to tie the knot,to wake up from their lethargy and to put an end to such nonsense even to the extent of cancelling official engagements or marriages. For the viewers this show was all the more dramatic with a good deal of cheers and some emotional tears thrown in between. Tsk!Tsk!

I remember my 70-year-old grand mother carrying my horoscope, walking to the potential grooms house in the hot burning sun, in her worn out Hawaii chap pals, hopping and changing three buses to reach their destination only to be told bluntly that the alliance was already fixed. Not even the basic courtesy of offering a cup of water or a few kind words. Many times I stood speechless at her pitiable plight but mad as she was in her search for a groom for me, she ignored such indignant treatments and moved on to her next target. Why nobody shouted during those times when even basic courtesy norms was thrown to winds, when parents of eligible girls were made to run from pillar to post, just to finalise an alliance.

Years have rolled on and there are no more girl looking boy rituals, like presenting the girl in traditional attire along with sweet, kara, and coffee, asking her to do catwalks, prostrate before everyone including the boy, make her sing songs - in fact nothing a self respecting girl would have agreed to do. In fact she was treated more like a circus artist rather than a lifetime partner. All the tamasha at the cost of girls side including the train fares if the boy and his family resided in other part of India and all this in return with a simple postcard announcing the regret in finalizing the alliance. Dark complexion, lack of good looks, poise, charm, family background, poor financial status, these were simple excuses to turn away a girl. Her good education, her scholarly attitude, her impeccable character – valuable things which enrich life in the long run were just brushed aside. If the alliance turned positive, there were fish market bargains like dowry,a pair of diamond studs, diamond ring for the groom, 50 or 100 sovereigns of gold, swanky car, apartment, bank deposits? Even a daytime robber would have looked more decent!

There are a number of young married woman professionals – doctors,engineers and their likes who are forced to chuck their jobs at the insistence of their husbands when it comes to taking care of their kids.There are many women who have to fight for their rights for helping out their siblings in their studies financially or help their ailing parents by taking over their medical expenses, issues which have caused serious rift in marital relationships.

So what if a girl puts conditions that she will continue to work even after marriage or will help her parents financially? There may be a handful of men species who respect their wife’s altruism and support her wholeheartedly, but many of them are ready to chop her wings in her pursuit of freedom to do what she wants.Just one look at our great film actors will show how deep their bias is against women getting back in to their profession post marriage.

The present generation of girls are well educated and have a mind of their own. Their independent financial status with an excellent job gives the extraordinary courage and confidence which the girls of the previous generation lacked. Now the tables are turned and it is the girl who is seen giving orders and conditions. So what is the big deal? Why so much of hue and cry?

The day when every woman is recognized for her education, talent, courage, confidence and self respect by her husband, in-laws,and the society that is the day when any marriage can survive. Marriage is an unwritten contract between two individuals where the individual private space should be respected and adhered. It is not the quantity of years spent together between the husband and wife but it is the quality of relationship – where a woman is respected and treated with concern, shown genuine warmth, compassion, where she has the right to choose her friends, pursue her hobbies and where she is not used as a door mat or a sleeping partner. Amen!!!

2. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

Nice writeup. As I had an arranged marriage your post reminded me all those stupidity that I had done with my family. I was very clear about my thoughts that I will marry to someone who will accept me as it is. As this is a permanent relationship so no temporary show off can last long. So it should be with truth and dignity both. I got what I wanted.

But before him I met many persons. Went to swayamwars too where boys and girls come with their families and one by one speak up about them on mic and others will note down their details and can talk to them later.

Almost all of them were looking for a beautiful slim working girl who can manage the home too. That time I felt like thank god I don't have any of these qualities. As I find all these as fancy temporary things that don't last long.

My dad was very much into this and many times tried to over say about me.

Once he got a call from some boys father. The moment my father picked up the phone he asked "ladki kitne kilo ki hai" and my father lied to him with the fear that he may reject the proposal if we tell the truth. That was the most stupid thing that he had done in his entire life but still he was very much into fixing me to someone that he didn't realised what he is doing.

3. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Monica,

You have put down your frustrations that come along with the modern swayamwaram, which is in vogue nowadays. I wonder how a marriage can be fixed within a matter of few seconds right in front of blazing cameras, the entire episode telecast live. There is a proverb in Tamil, that one can perform a marriage by telling 1000 lies, as shown in the film ‘ Manalkayiru’, but the repercussions the girl has to undergo post marriage,
    is hardly given a thought by the parents!

Agatha83

4. Rajeni

Rajeni Moderator Platinum IL'ite

Wonderful write-up @Agatha83 !! Very true!

It is an unwritten rule that a girl is not supposed to have expectations or 'conditions' on how her future husband or future life should-be. Its getting worse these days coz women are expected to be educated, work and bring money to the table, but when it comes to marriage or choosing the life partner, they should just detach themselves from the confidence and self-respect (that comes with education and work experience) and become naive and be happy at the scheme of getting married.

I remember saying to my Mom (while I was going thru the same phase) - "You should have married me off at 16 or 18, if you wanted me not to have an opinion and just nod my head for anything and everything. Even then I doubt whether I would have!"

Parents too, like @MonikaSG has mentioned, though bring their daughters up with so much confidence, equality and freedom, when it comes to marriage resort to the good-old pattern (which they had witnessed at their age) and set out to "impress" the prospective grooms even with lies if required. Is that because of the pressure to marry their daughters off within the certain age-limit, again as per our social norms?

Does women also not equally contribute if not more to the miseries of fellow women? The groom's mother never try to save the prospective bride of the embarrassment or pain that once she endured. The neighbors, esp. women, never stop being judgmental. Even, the girl's mother, though if she was once a victim of social pressure and dissent marriage, inflicts the same fate on her daughter.

Yesterday I received a youtube video, which emphasizes on "Women for Women" motto. I really felt that is the way for Women empowerment, if we want to see it in every class of the society! Here it is -

This topic always hits a nerve and made me write a long FB :)

5. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Rajeni,

What an outstanding feedback you have given with an added bonus of an awesome video! As you have rightly pointed out, many times our parents become our villains when it comes to marriage. After 30, the precious little darling of the household becomes an additional burden. In case of an inter caste marriage, the daughter becomes an outcast, fearing the repercussions from the society. Unless a girl is mentally strong, it is very hard to face the harsh realities of married life, given the patriarchal social system she has to deal with.
    As in the west, neither we do have easy legal recourse, nor a convenient social security system, when it comes to opting out of an abusive marriage. That’s why I feel it’s all the more important for a woman to prepare herself thoroughly, and meet the challenges bravely with her chin up!
    Agatha83

6. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@Agatha83

Very nice write up with valid and relevant points. I wish women in our society get some recognition and respect. At the same time, in their zeal to achieve equality, women should not lose their inherent qualities and behave like egoistic men or vile in laws. @Rajeni, thanks for the video share. It was very good.

7. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear GK,

I wish women retain their feminine intuition, but at the same time have the masculine physical strength, to stop those creepy, lecherous hands of men, rather then bearing things silently! It’s time mothers sensitised their children about their strengths and weaknesses and teach them to treat everyone with respect.

Agatha83

Thyagarajan and GeetaKashyap like this.
  8. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

A thought provoking post Agatha dear. You have covered all the points about Women.

Earlier matching of horoscopes was necessary ,then girl seeing ceremony, girls did not have much courage to tell their wishes to their parents.So they used to agree to whomever their parents chose

I also went through all that. My father was not there so my brother had to go every week to the astrologer for match making. I was already 29 Yrs and I felt I was aburden to my brother though he was a loving and caring brother. That time I was even ready to marry a person who has lost his wife. One guy who had come to see me told my brother that since he is short it won't be a good match and told my brother about my husband. By God's grace I got married and got a gem of a person . Earlier years I used to think he us not a graduate and does not hold big position in the Company but as years went by understood him, his simple living and that money is not everything to be happy. I have written about him here and got award also for that. Due to his being economicwe are leading a peaceful and happy life.Thanks to God for giving me such a life partner

9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Agatha,

I don't have a sister or daughter to experience what you had narrated so well in your snippet. We are raising only male child in the United States. I realize that he is watching me everyday how I treat my wife. He knew how I stood up for my wife when she faced MIL problem from my own mother. He had seen me supporting my parents-in-law at the old age and watched me perform all the rites for my father-in-law when he passed away 5 years back as my wife is the only child for my parents-in-law. He is watching me taking very good care of my MIL here in the US for the past 5 years. In order to help my wife and as my MIL likes my cooking, I cook at least 2-3 times a week. I at least cut vegetables and help my wife as much as possible as I work from home. I hope he learns how to treat his wife when he gets married.

Having said all that, a few years back my wife was bent upon making discreet inquiries to find a match for my only son who is finishing his Ph.D. in July 2018. We enrolled with a match-making organization by paying Rs. 100,000 as this famous person told us he personally matches the bride and groom himself. Not only he didn't present a single opportunity but also presented some weird questions to us that stunned us and we are not sure whether they were inquiries from bride's family. Once he told me that I need to deposit $100,000 into a bank account to be used by the bride and the groom until he graduates. We were ready to do that. Then, he said most families prefer your son to move back to India after a few years as the girl's family is well-settled in India. After that, when he started searching for girls in the US, he came up with a question whether your son will settle down independently and whether we would be visiting him often. At this stage, my wife told them that we would consider the money that was given to them as charity and told them we are not interested in discussing anything further with them.

My son himself is planning to move 3,000 miles away from us to work for a national lab. We are financially independent and we are never going to rely upon him to support us in anyway. However, he is very attached to us and hence he might be visiting us every year or have us come to spend time with him and his family.

After going through all that frustration, he gave up and we told him specifically that he would be better off finding his own match irrespective of race, religion, etc. In addition, my son has a clean-shaven head and a beard after spending years with long dreads and the match-making organization said it would be a problem as our son has no hair in the head. I joked with them that he lost his hair due to his deep research in Computational Fluid Dynamics.

My wife and I came to the conclusion that considering the intellectual nature of my son, it would be better for him to find his own match. Even then, we can never be sure whether a marriage would work. Whether it is a boy or girl, nowadays, they are all very independent and only thing we can do is to pray for the well-being of our children.

Viswa

10. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viji,

Call it Almighty’s grace, destiny, or fate- getting a good life partner is surely not in our hands. I am extremely happy about your marriage, because not many women are fortunate in marriage. Yes, we try our best to make marriage a success, which involves immense patience, tolerance and forgiveness, which has to come from both the partners.

There are scores of women struggling in an unhappy marriage silently, with no help forthcoming either from their parents, friends or the society. Be it the police or the lawyers, everybody counsels to continue the relationship with an abusive husband. That’s why I feel every woman has to be empowered both financially and emotionally!

I remember you were the first to nominate my thread when I was new to this forum and I always remember it with gratitude. Carry on with all the good things you are doing now. Thanks a lot Viji!

Thyagarajan, Mistt and Viswamitra like this.