1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Woman In The Mirror

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by blackbeauty84, Aug 9, 2017.

1. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Shweta

It felt surreal for Shweta to come out without her baby boy. From the moment he has born , she was never away from him than fifteen minutes. She randomly selected some clothes and went to the trial room.

How long since she came for shopping? It must be 10 months.

She married her college sweetheart. Their marriage was frowned upon by both set of parents. Her parents pointed he is not earning well to keep her in a class she used to. His parents thought she is too independent to be a good daughter in law. Somehow they got married and moved to a city away from both set of parents.

They both were working hard in respective careers and saving enough to buy a house of their own. Accidentally Shweta got pregnant. When it came to how to take care of child when both of them are working, Shweta decided to quit the job. Her husband got a job change and things were hectic in office.

Though she loved her baby to pieces it was overwhelming. Her baby kept her busy throughout the day and night. She was tired and sleep-deprived. Her husband pitched in for help whenever he could, but it wasn’t helping her much. There was a gap between her and her friends as she wasn’t able to answer phone when she wanted or go out when she wanted.

Last couple of days she missed her office, she missed the thrill of negotiating the deal. When her husband came back from office, she handed over the baby to him and came out for shopping.

Tears came into her eyes when the dress didn’t fit her. Off late, she became very sensitive when people commented about her weight gain. She came out of the trial room to pick dress for her size. Shweta looked at herself in mirror. Her hair was rough and her face had dark circles. In a hurry to come out she didn’t even check what she was wearing.

That was when she saw her in the mirror. She looked similar to how Shweta was before pregnancy. Well dressed and groomed, she was answering an office call.

‘I miss that!’ Shweta said to the mirror.

‘Ma…’ came a voice. Shweta was stunned to see her husband and kid in the shopping mall.

‘He was crying for you from the moment you went out.’ said her husband handing the baby to her.

‘He called me Ma. He uttered his first word.’ Shweta rejoiced.

‘I want to get back to work’ she said looking at the woman in distance. As on cue, she too looked in her direction.

‘Why not! We will work it out.But first I’m taking few days leave, so you can rest a bit.’ He told her.

Her baby called her ‘Ma’ once more. She hugged the baby and her husband tight. Things will be better soon.

Rekha

She didn’t plan to come for shopping. She was mindlessly driving; when she saw the shopping mall she just entered it. This is the time of day when he used to call her. But he stopped it since she warned him against that. She browsed the shop without having a clue on what she wanted.

You are missing him- her heart told her. I don’t want to land in a mess her mind replied.

Rekha is a product of broken family. Her childhood memory of her parents was bitter. They were constantly fighting, screaming and what not. She refused to believe that her parents were once in love. This made her to devote herself to studies. She preferred studying in her room than having a silent meal in dining table. She dreamt of the day she will leave home which was sooner than she anticipated.

With her top scoring mark, she immediately got admission in one of the leading college which was in other side of country. She was happy in her hostel though she dreaded the vacation time. By the time when her first year in college was over, her parents got separated.

That was the time she met him. He was her senior and they clicked on really well. She admitted herself that she is falling for him but her parents failed marriage pulled her back. Being her senior, he passed out of the college first and told her that he will be waiting for her.

Rekha missed him in her final year and realized her love for him. She got job in the same company where he was working and she accepted his love. It has been five years now. Last week when he asked her to marry him, she told him she is not ready. She was not sure yet.

He was mad at her and told he will not contact her again until she agreed to get married to him. She got a call and her heart jumped in the hope that it was him. It was an office call and that was when she saw her in the mirror.

She was a tired woman and her eyes appeared red. It reminded Rekha as how her mom appeared post fighting with dad.

‘Ma..’ came a voice behind her.

She saw a well dressed man carrying a baby towards the tired woman. Her eyes sparkled when she saw the baby. They were rejoicing something and as on the cue woman looked at her. Soon the woman hugged her husband and baby tight.

Rekha didn’t mean to cry but her eyes were wet. What she saw before appeared to be a true love and that minute her heart whispered his name.

She dialed his number and he didn’t pick up the call. Has he left his hope on me?

She picked a dress in random and went to checkout counter. Her heart was heavy. Why didn’t he pick the call?

She saw the woman and baby again in checkout counter. Rekha’s mobile rang and it was him.

Before uttering hello she asked him the question ‘Will you marry me?’

Baby smiled at Rekha and she beamed back. Things will be better soon.

kaniths, lazy, PavithraS and 26 others like this.

2. teenulahari

teenulahari Gold IL'ite

Dear BB,
    Absolutely loved it! I always like your writing. I was imagining the story and the ending is so beautiful. :clap2::clapclap:
    U r a very good writer.:worship2:

blackbeauty84 and jskls like this.
  3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Short Sweet and beautiful narration :thumbup:

blackbeauty84, Suja9 and teenulahari like this.
  4. stayblessed

stayblessed Platinum IL'ite

Wonderful BB. Very good narration. All your stories have different plots and you give perfect justice to them with your narration.

5. blackbeauty84

Many Many thanks Teenu. This feedback coming from a wonderful writer like you makes me very happy. Have a nice day.

teenulahari likes this.
  6. blackbeauty84

Thank you

jskls likes this.
  7. blackbeauty84

Thank you stayblessed. I'm in cloud nine reading all the feedbacks.

stayblessed likes this.
  8. Rajeni

Rajeni Moderator Platinum IL'ite

A very good one, BB! Every woman should pause to listen the woman in the mirror! The way you have connected the two women is wonderful

9. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

You have a way with words, bb.
    Lovely narration ! I could feel where the story was going but loved the way your words travel.
    I love the hope that emanates from your stories and the silent strength of woman across all ages

teenulahari likes this.
  10. blackbeauty84

Thanks Rajeni.