1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Wodden crib/Portable crib....?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by vaidehi, Jul 13, 2010.

1. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Hi Mommies!

Please share your thoughts/ exp on the varieties of cribs available in US. I am just so very confused whether to go for the traditional wodden crib or the portable pack n play cribs which look quite tempting !

I am little concerned about the safety with these portable ones. But since i live in an Apt space constraint is another hurdle for me.

Experienced mommies please advice ur preference.

Thanks

2. fudge

fudge Senior IL'ite

Hi vaidehi, I got a wooden crib when my son was born but he never slept in that. He used to get very cranky the moment we put him in the crib and prefers to sleep with us. I assume it is because as a new born some kids want warmth and cuddly feel and the crib is too big for them. I personally prefer bassinets that kind of give a snugly feel to the baby. Coming to you question wooden might be better because it is sturdy when compared to the portable.

3. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Thank you fudge, True... that was the case with my first kid too. But then that was back in India, where co-sleeping is the usual norm.
    I was also thinking about the bassinet, but then it can be used only for max 6 mths isn't it ? Any ideas?

4. fudge

fudge Senior IL'ite

Well co-sleeping can be done anywhere does'nt matter whether we are in India or US. If you prefer to make your kid sleep seperately then for sure start training him/her from birth. (In this case crib might be useful)Yea bassinet can be used for max 6 or even less if you kid starts rolling..Why I prefer bassinet is not for the night sleep because typically night time he sleeps with us but for day time till he is 6 months old. After that we can make them sleep in our big bed..good enuf place to roll and sleep.