1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

With No Expectations Whatsoever...

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by nayidulhan, Jan 31, 2023.

1. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

@hrastro, what an enviable clarity of thought. I wish I had even 10% of your mind power. :)
    @hrastro, I know that you are a busy professional but I strongly urge you to jot down your thoughts/ ideas whenever you can take a few minutes off your schedule. It will definitely help people like me to improve our personalities and become better citizens of the society. Please give it a thought. :)

hrastro and Thyagarajan like this.
  2. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

@Viswamitra, thanks for the insight. I am learning a lot from you. :)

Complacency is the biggest impediment to one's growth and criticism too may serve as a deterrent. A good parent/ mentor is the one who can use best the carrot and stick approach. :)

I presume your wife is an Indian and your partner's wife a non-Indian. (Please correct me if I am wrong.) There is a cultural difference in even the simplest of situations and we Indians are the most "giving", thoughtful bunch of the whole lot. In your wife's situation, I too may have reacted the same way- offering the item to the admirer. We Indians are genuine with our compliments and feel the need to react suitably when something in our possession is appreciated. :)

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  3. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

@Thyagarajan, could it be that your father in all his wisdom was trying to keep you grounded after your mother's elaborate display of appreciation? :) I mean, do you think there are chances of your father reacting differently if your mother had reprimanded you for your lapse on the calculus paper instead? :)

Our Indian parents somehow always manage to strike the balance in every parenting situation. They are always on the guard to keep their offspring on the right track.

(Please take this post in a lighter vein, @Thyagarajan. I don't wish to sound judgmental in any way because that definitely is not the case. :) I am completely aware of the fact that I am an immature individual who needs counsel and even hand holding from stalwarts here, most of the time.) :)

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@nayidulhan

You are right. My wife is an Indian American and my partner's wife is an Italian American.

Thyagarajan and nayidulhan like this.
  5. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

@Viswamitra, I was worried that I was stereotyping there but thankfully you proved me right. :)

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  6. swarnamary

swarnamary Gold IL'ite

my response to my son grade are same as your dad hahahaha..if i say you might have got better if u check question properly my son is you are never happy for what i got.. i guess thats the mentality of parents and kids but i do try to appreciate my son while his dad (indian dad) never do that

Thyagarajan likes this.