1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

With Malice Towards One And All

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Jan 31, 2021.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

‘With Malice Towards One And All’

This is the title of the most popular weekly column by Late Khushwant Singh in Hindustan Times and I am using it for this piece fully aware that I may be infringing into his copy right but totally amused to do so as try hard as he may, he can’t touch me!

More importantly, how can he have a copy right on stolen line, cunningly corrupting the original lines from the Inaugural Address by US President Abraham Lincoln in 1865 starting-

“With malice towards none, and charity for all.....”

Simply put, if Khushwant can do it, so can yours faithfully!!

Lincoln was speaking after the end of tragic Civil War and I am speaking in the midst of several small wars including minor civil wars.

Don’t take me wrong! The world is not collapsing, will never. There may be some cracks here and there in the name of boundaries, cast, color or creed but those will get filled in time only to appear again and the process will go on.

It was destined by the Creator if you believe there is one. It is in the soil of this planet if you are an atheist. The very fact that humans are born in various colors and shapes, by God’s will or natural climate, they are bound to be different. No two individuals are alike. Well if they are not alike, they are bound to be thinking of converting the other like him at least in belief.

So, my dear friends, here is what it is.

1. I am a theist so I want you to believe in my God and my God believes in me. There is only one God and that is My God. I do daily Puja in the morning and evening. I do not forget to share with Him my loot. If you don’t accept my God as your God, you don’t deserve a decent life, you don't even deserve to live in my country.

2. I believe in one particular ideology which I change as per my convenience and need and I want you to believe in that or else you know what can I do to you. Also, because I hold the reigns of power, I mean the wordings of this piece, I can demolish you here and now.

3. I love my country dearly and there is no greater country than my country. I believe in 'my country first'. If I have made home in any other country, that is for indirectly enriching my country. If you have any issue with that, you are simply zealous.

4. My language is the richest, the best, the oldest and if I learned any other language or made my children to do so, that is for making my country greater and that does not give you the right to point a finger at me. If you do so, remember, the other three fingers are pointing at you.

There are many other things, for now it is sufficient. If you have not understood what I mean, you are welcome to challenge me.

satchitananda likes this.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Interesting. Talking of Kushwant Singh, one of our old members is sorely missed as I am sure he would have jumped in at the very mention of his name here, had he been with us to do so. What you are saying is crystal clear. Sad state of affairs making crave for the sanity of our younger days. The world being polarized as it is, it is difficult to say anything. People on the other side of the divide are not going to see the reason of this side and vice versa, because we are all so strongly convinced about the truth of what we believe in. We have had so many versions of the truth thus far - THE Truth, post truth, now MY truth. Wonder how more generations and versions of the truth remain to emerge. Trying to position oneself in the centre, standing only for what seems to be right to me (My Truth) also does not seem to help in today's world.

3. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Khushwant Singh was full of humor and satire. He was getting 50000 rupees for each of this syndicated column and said how come print media can afford so much for his craps.
    Yes, polarization is taking place in the name of religion, language and color. Democracy is in danger.