1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Wish To Help Toastmasters Member

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by ChennaiExpress, Nov 19, 2016.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Please advise how to help lady at Toastmasters.

She joined few months before me, had extremely rough life and fought to overcome lot of things.

At beginning of Toastmasters year (Jun 30, 2016), she was voted into one of the Toastmasters offices and took it quite seriously. She saw this is a self-learning tool, and did her very best.

Over a month back her mother was killed in a horrible accident and she saw Toastmasters as a way to cope and stay strong through this ordeal.

At the same time, she got job offer which will improve her quality of life, and certainly make her late mother proud.

Due to change in schedule, she told me she can no longer attend our Toastmasters and she is stepping down from office.

I actually panicked because she is the only Officer who was helping me (other was helping, but she was job-hunting, the rest are, well, that's another post)

So I was advised to have elections and we elected someone to replace this young lady's Officer role.

Now ..... after the elections the lady has great news! She can participate in Toastmasters. She just wanted to know if elections already took place.

I told her yes, elections took place.

However, I also told that the Division Director is looking for people who may be interested in Division roles for future, such as Area Governor, and let me know if she is interested.

I haven't heard back from her regarding this.

Am I handling this delicate situation properly? What else can I do?

Tagging @whistle @blackbeauty84

2. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

How is the scenario with her now?
    Is she going to attend the sessions and be the officer? or just office?
    BTW aren't elections just round the corner for new set of officers?

3. ChennaiExpress

I believe she will just attend Toastmasters .. Unfortunately there is no open officer position for her.

As because one other post was vacant (member didn't renew due to maternity leave) and other post was held by me, but I simply couldn't handle extra load ....

So we had election for three out of six posts.

Yes elections would be around corner, later in Dec, but as President I was doing everyone's job. Even Division Director who visited commented I need to delegate because I'm glue holding club together.

I guess my biggest worry was her mental state. She suffered a tragic loss and so many things were changing in her life.

I just wanted to know how to reassure that everything will be ok.

4. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

About her-> speak to the area/division director and help her finding suitable role. Many a times they take club president's nominations seriously.

I think yes ,you should delegate more. Else there will be time when people don't know how to run the club if you skip few meetings.

ChennaiExpress likes this.
  5. ChennaiExpress

yes ... I'm learning to delegate and trust the process.

blackbeauty84 likes this.
  6. whistle

whistle Silver IL'ite

ChennaiExpress likes this.