1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Wish To Buy Humidifier - User Manual Has Prop 86 Warning

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by SuiDhaaga, Dec 11, 2021.

1. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

I wish to buy humidifier because

1. My skin is dry dry dry
    2. It needs to run long time
    3. I can clean every 2 to 3 days with 1 part water / 1 part white vinegar

I am reading user manual and it says

WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including lead or lead compounds, which are known to the State of California to cause cancer or birth defects or other reproductive harm.
    For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.

Do they put this label on everything in USA?

How would one minimize this risk.

I really need a good humidifier, but having disease is worse worse worse

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes they put this label on nearly everything. The prop 65 label no longer reflects the composition of the items or the risk posed by them. It is used by manufacturers as a blanket disclaimer against potential litigation. It's original intent is a lost cause now.

I own multiple humidifiers and I trust them enough to use them in my kids' bedrooms. The only risk of disease they pose are via mold spores if they aren't cleaned regularly. Also they tend to lose efficacy over time due to limescale buildup. I would recommend using soft water if you have access or store-bought distilled water to avoid scale buildup.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
    SuiDhaaga likes this.
  3. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

I was thinking that manufactures post this statement everywhere.

However I saw user manual for similar humidifier I currently have (which doesn’t cover the square foot area, and doesn’t have long enough run time) and I didn’t find that statement.

Also I live in area with hard water so I resigned myself to descaling with white vinegar everyday (maybe this humidifier every other day because of long run time). Hope I can get distilled water..

Thank you for your input :)