1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Wish To Be Better Listener For My Dad

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by ChennaiExpress, Sep 11, 2016.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Wish to be better listener for my Dad.

He is coping with lot of health problems, Doctors cannot figure out the cause.

And then he doesn't have anyone to talk or confide in.

He tends to talk and talk and talk.

And I worry about the time passed.

I really need to stop looking at the clock and be better listener.

Just now he gave me a scare and I said I should quit Toastmasters. Then he said don't quit Toastmasters, but just keep his health issues in mind.

Sometimes the smallest improvements in one's routine can improve quality of life.

But Dad is feeling bad about so many things, he doesn't feel like seeing me in action at Toastmasters - Hosting Open House soon.

How can kids be better listener to their parents?

Dad wishes he can do matrimonial alliance again, to right all the wrongs that were done.

Honestly, I honestly wish we can do matrimonial alliance in India again. The India that belonged to our grandparents is not the same as India today. People blame governments (esp Chief Minister Badal of Punjab) but they should look within themselves.

As long as the guy is nice and industrious that is fine (plus mutual attraction, of course). Even if he doesn't do job, he can be house-husband (Because taking care of household is a job in itself --- managing, leading, delegating, optimizing)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    vaidehi71 likes this.

2. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    I hope that your father gets well soon. Be a listener, because that teaches a lot. Not only we see others views many a time, that's what reflects the truth. We learn by silence and see other peoples talking. Your father as you had written is unwell and is trying to let out his feelings or thoughts to a person he has love and affection. If he is going to cocoon his thoughts to himself you might never know them at all. If you find it boring, you can make it interesting by discussing issues you are happy with and he too would share his. I don't know about Toastmasters but I know that people like ones who are able to listen to their feelings. Seems your father likes you a lot. I think you too like him a lot. So find ways to interact with him and make it a happier occasion.
    Take care.

ChennaiExpress likes this.