1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

winters in chicago

Discussion in 'Indians in Chicago' started by coolaqua, Nov 4, 2013.

1. coolaqua

coolaqua New IL'ite

Hello everyone !,
    We are planning to move to chicago(Naperville) from california for a job. I have heard a lot about cold/long winters in chicago. So I was just wondering what everyone does over the weekend during winter months with kids? Do people still go out or pretty much stay indoors?

2. AS86

AS86 Silver IL'ite

It's the same all over the midwest. Things are a little worse in areas that are right by one of the Great Lakes, because that adds strong winds to the already heavy snow and rain. Americans do tons of snow-related outdoor activities such as ice skating, skiing and riding snow mobiles. If you're into any of that, you'd be in for a treat as there are tons of opportunity for that. You can definitely get your kids enrolled in classes for ice skating. They might love it.

There are also amazing Christmas markets in Chicago with tons of activities for kids. Depending on your kids' age, they might enjoy that a lot. Also, if you don't like being outdoors in the snow, you can take them to museums and stuff your first winter here. Another midwest gem is indoor water parks. Because it snows so much here, there are tons of those all around. You can google them.

Don't worry too much about it. Chicago is such a big city that your kids and you will have tons to do there. If nothing else, you'll be sure to find Indian families in school and find out how they spend the winters. :)

3. coolaqua

coolaqua New IL'ite

Thank you AS86 for your quick and helpful response!! I have a 18 month old daughter and was little bit worried if she would be able to adjust to the chilly winters. BTW where do you live in Chicago? Which suburbs have big indian community?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  4. AS86

AS86 Silver IL'ite

I live in Lansing, about four hours from Chicago. But, the winter situation and activities are pretty similar all over this area. I've also been to Chicago several times and have friends living there.

Regarding suburbs with Indians, you'll be able to find info about that on this forum. There are threads for that too. There are a few Meetup groups too. This and this might be useful. And this one connects people in western suburbs of Chicago (Naperville, Aurora, Downers Grove, Lisle, Barrington, Hoffman Estates, Schaumburg). I think Naperville is one of the areas that has a large Indian community.