1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Winter days!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by puni88, Nov 16, 2007.

1. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sreelatha,
    I guess NJ is not bad with so many Indians around.
    You get all Indian snacks too.....:coffee

~Punitha

2. slp807

slp807 Bronze IL'ite

yes punni, we get everything here, infact i liked NJ a lot than Florida. if we get away with the winter i feel its the best place

3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Punitha,
    Your son has nicely pointed out it is winter, so cute!

I love winter only to see the light decorations going around here!
    I hate it because of the energy bill and also my fingers get cracked up making it painful to work. nowadays it is tolerable with the application of petroleum jelly every now and then.
    I cannot comment on the hazards of driving because i am yet to start one!

sriniketan

4. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    The other nightmare would be kids falling sick.
    I remember those days when both by sons were sick together with flu and no doctors were available during holiday season.
    Going to ER is another nightmare.. we end up waiting for hours together.

~Punitha

5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

it is true, Punitha.
    Falling sick and getting help is another nighmare!

sriniketan

6. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Dear Punitha,

I agree with you that the winter days are hard and already I have started counting the days when it will be over. This is my first winter in U.S. In London, the winter used to be severe during January-February. The temperatures used to be around zero degree centigrades. In Melbourne, right through the year excepting the summer months, the weather used to be cold and even my Australian colleagues dislike the weather. Whereas in Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth the weather will be warm and people can go to beaches. But not so in Melbourne. Cold with rains and winds used to be depressive in both London and Melbourne.

Regards,

TDU

7. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Hi Punitha

I, like some others here like the cold weather - love the Christmas decorations and the festive air everywhere. Like Aarushi - make a garam cup of chai and cuddle up and read a book! I love being outside after a fresh snow - it is so peaceful. We get sleet and ice sometimes - now, that I do not like. One year, we had severe sleet - everything was coated with ice - each blade of grass was encased in ice - during the day - the sun peeked out and everything looked absolutely marvelous - I thought to myself - this is what they mean by "winter wonderland" - everything just glistened in the sun! But at night, we lost power - due to tree branches breaking and falling over power lines. It was eerie - listening to tree limbs breaking in our back yard! Fortunately, we had gas oven - so I could cook a little and we had a gas fireplace - so we turned it up and had a fun time. Thank god the power came back soon!

My daughter too asked me a similar question when she was about 5 - she asked me why I was picking her up when it was dark and did not come any sooner! Now she is all grown up and I have these memories whenever winter comes around. Thanks for bringing a smile to my face today Punitha!!!

8. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Puni
    As Padma said I love winter in Chennai.It is the best part of the year.There is a chill nip in the year.All Perumal temples buzzing with Tripavai and Shivan temples with Thruvenpavai.The final part in the temples is distribution of hot Ven Pongal which simply delicious.The people throng the temples as well as the streets singing bhajans.There are discourses at most sabhas about Thru ppavai and Thruvemppavai.You can see colourful kolams in front of most of the houses.
    The sabhas buzz with so many kutcheries.Thereare so many musical sales going on as well.There are phantomine shows as well conducted by Little Theatre which I never miss.There so many English and Tamil dramas as well.Every year Mylapore Times conducts festival in Mylapore for 3 days.They bring in all religious and cultural aspects of Chennai.They have dramas,Therukootu,cinema,painting and a food carnival as well.Even kolam talents are displayed.This brings out the true spirit of Chennai in winter and it is really enjoyable........................

9. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sorry Punitha I did not mention what time it gets dark
    It is getting dark at 5pm and by 7 it is so dark that he wants to have his dinner and go to sleep.

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi puni,

Winter..in chennai is nothing but a little nip in the air in the early mornings and late nights..but people say that winters are becoming colder even here....

DS is finding it difficult to get up at 5.00 to go for his cricket practice one of the drawbacks of the nip...you want to sleep...FIL is full fledged practicing bhajans for the margazhi season...they will start with bajans on the streets...
    as early as 4.00...what to say about the ven pongal..nothing can beat it....
    The colorful rangolis, the intricate geometrical patterns in some households...
    the suprabathams, the thirupavai, and thiruvempavai as padma and kanaka say...

It is delicious to have a cup of hot filter coffee, checking the dew on the leaves, with the birds chirping, and the sun playing hide and seek with the light mist and listening to a recording played from the season's concerts....

ho the one month..is so divine...music in the air competing with the cold, all connoisseurs of music..whether they sing or listen.... already all the sabhas are listing their itinerary...the discussions....everything....

Winter you are a welcome in chennai...........:welcome