1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Winter days!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by puni88, Nov 16, 2007.

1. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Kanaka,
    WOW!! People from Sweden, Denmark should be lucky to get day light feelings from artificial lights. And thanks to the technology.
    I think I am unaware of so many things in this world.
    Here in US, it becomes dark around 4.00pm itself...

~Punitha

2. krish22

krish22 Senior IL'ite

Hi PunI,

Your kid looks smart.

You are so true ,even here in london too it is dark by 4 and though the sun is there it is still freezing cold.
    I have mixed feeling about this season I love to see the houses and malls with all the decoration with lights.They are so colorful and sure brings some smiles and energy to me.

3. puni88

Hello Krish,
    I agree with you, we should take positive energy with all these decorations for christmas.
    It will be really nice to watch how people would have decorated their front yard with colorful lights on trees, plants, santa etc...
    Even though we are not christians, it tempts so much to have a christmas tree in the house and decorate with lights.
    ~Punitha

4. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi Punitha,
    So true.....the winter in DC is depressing and when the snow is there.......I feel really sick now......
    Only thing I like in the winter is the lighting and decorations that atarts from Halloween and stays upto Feb and I love to see that.
    Yeah, we are not at all beauty concious in winter.......no waxing.....no figure showing off (how could you with 3 layers of clothes including a sweater and a thick leather jacket), no manicure/pedicure.....(hands and feet always covered with socks and gloves)........
    Anyways......part of life........

5. puni88

Hello Meeta,
    Very true...
    Even my beauty parlor business will become very slow during winter.
    It ends with Diwali parties.. until spring time.

~Punitha

6. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Hi Puni,

Such an innocent and sweet talk from your son. How cute! :kiss

Winter days are days of SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorders) and Winter Blues. Here the sun sets at 5:40 pm. But as we progress into December darkness will set in by 4.00 pm. When I was new to the US, I used to hate winter days. We were living in a ground floor apartment and it added to the darkness. Made my moods go all mad and cranky bonk. Now we live in the top floor and also I have got used to winter days. I am glad that I do'nt live in Iceland or Holland or any of those countries where the sun does not peep in for days.

7. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi dear, so you are in Beauty business.......so you must share the funny things happening with your clients as I happened to hear funny things from other ladies when I go to saloon for hair/eyebrows.......I sometimes laugh really loud hearing their stories.
    Dear, I think if you start home service kind of thing, it may be profitable......because many Indian ladies used to sit at home during afternoon.......you can offer some kind of afternoon session in a locality .......i am just thinking that way.............but no idea about the practical situation......
    Take care.

8. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Nice thread! :)

I like winters because most of my family members birthdays and anniversaries are in the winter (my hubby, my baby's, my parents, mine)...:). Plus in the US, there is such a festive atmosphere everywhere because of halloween, thanksgiving, christmas...I enjoy it very much...the only thing I dislike is the holiday traffic..of which I also am a contributing member...:mrgreen:

But yeah, in Atlanta, we do not have to deal with feets of snow, so maybe that is the reason for my liking it...:wink: If I had to clear the driveway every morning to drive my car, then maybe I wouldnt like it quite so much..:cool:

Oh, and I also love the feeling when you sit inside the house all cozy and warm having samosas/pakoras and hot coffee and it is freezing cold and raining outside...I don't know why, but it fills my heart with gladness everytime...there is just something about it...hmmmm....:)

9. puni88

Hello Meeta,
    Between kids I stayed home for 4yrs and I was doing all these side businesses like baby sitting, parlor and clothes business.
    Still some customers keeps coming to me.. I do it at evenings and weekends.
    Like this, I tend to keep myself busy and engaged. I really have a good time with my customers and I enjoy doing it.

~Punitha

10. puni88

Hello Aarushi,
    Right now Boston is freezing with ice rain ...
    It will be more cold in DOWNTOWN...
    I hate to stand in the T station waiting for the train.
    Always get up extra early to clean the snow from drive way, pack kids with layers of clothes and drive slowly...
    Another paining issue is the 'HEATING BILL'.:bang:bang
    Because of this cold, we thought of moving to south.

~Punitha