1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Will You Sit With Me?

Discussion in 'Saturdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sridhar,
    Let me take the liberty of teasing you since you are a sport !
    At the rate at which you are giving titles to your threads, I am already curious, not anxious, as to what your next thread title is going to be! I can guess it, written with your usual statutory warning to the moderators !
    But, I tell you, (with permission from my friend), you are a charmer in IL & can get away with anything ! Such is your standing in IL !!

Now about modern technology invading our kitchens! - I being Chitvish need not go to other areas !
    I still make our favourite idlis, kaldosai, vathakuzambu, paruppusili, thogayal etc.
    But I use grinder, mixi, microwave, pressurepan etc more for convenience and there is no compromise on taste. But it is exasperating when puritans glorify "thuNi pOttu vartha idli", "kalchatti vathakuzambU' etc hinting we have all become lazy !! As if !! I can only say they are "opinionated" strongly & resist change for the sake of resisting it !
    So, I will sit with you, after making sure, the chair is heavy & can stand my weight.
    Love,
    Chithra.

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Varalotti
    After reading so many titles not "Will you sit with me" seem to be a very simple one not something like dancing with me and being my Valentine...........
    A nice write up and even the fbs were really interesting to read one with the gas stove one with the curd making and another with using mordern equipments etc etc.......
    I think one should have basic knowledge of everything in life and be a master of one.
    Before people use to cook on charcoal and stoves and all they use to finish they work and sit and talk to fellow beings but now a days after we having so many mordern equipements we finish our work so quickly but still we do not have time for others, why??..............we still feel that we do not have time to sit and talk with others prefer to be in our own world.
    It will be a great honor to sit with you on the dias.

3. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Shanthi,

thanks for accepting my invitation. I am happy to learn that your dad and your DH belong to my profession.

Yes I do remember the days when FA packages were written in COBOL. It was a tedious task. But you know, Shanthi, those programs are quite robust and once you have them right, they do not have glitches as the modern day packages do.

For my office I wrote my billing and FA package in Foxpro. It's an 8000 line code I wrote in 1995 and by God's grace it's still working well. We isolated that system, made that to run on DOS so that it is beyond the reach of viruses.

I am saying this because when I wrote the code I understood the difficulties of a computer man. I also found out what we accountants lack. Many times we are not very definitive about what we want. Our specs are ambiguous which normally irritates the software person. Now I am in demand as an interface between accountants and computer programmers.

You are right, Shanthi. No profession will ever become extinct, if it has a substance which should not be change and forms, which it should be able to change frequently.

Yes, I am also eagerly waiting for Veda's opinion. I have made it clear in my reply to his fb for HE Final episode.

regards,

4. varalotti

Thanks Nandhu. You are right. computers, software etc are just tools. This is so even for the computer professional. For him the real skill is being able to think logically and connect the clients needs with the capabilities of his tools. Tools may change over time. But the basic skillsets will remain the same.

As you know "kadivalam kattina mathiri" developers, I also know "kadivalam kattina mathiri" accountants who will insist that the computer program should deliver exactly in the same way they did in manual accounts. Now that's ridiculous. We can do wonders with computers which we can't think of in manual system.

Domain knowledge is a must for the person in that domain. For the computer man, understanding the domain knowledge of others and the ability to relate to persons of the other domain is a must.

Thanks for the fb, Nandhu.
    regards,

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Sridhar,

I still feel cobol is the best for accounting. but i had tough time 15/17 years back..when memory was a criteria...having a m aster file and secondary files and having a proper link..and these programmes still stand tall...Infact it was project ..

And when it was for the office with veda, we had written in foxpro and used clipper...and i can understand the difficulty of debugging and you should imagine my plight...with veda fighting for every result,accuracy....and the program still is working..touchwood....

who else can understand this statement better than me.Big LaughRant

6. varalotti

Dear Chithra,
    Your teasing was quite enjoyable. I will tell you what my next thread is :
    Will You -- ---- with me?
    I first wrote the words in the blanks. But then I thought that would be stretching it too far.
    You will be curious to know why I have topics like these. The inspiration came from the posters for Malayalam Films being screened in Madurai. The posters will be very provocative. Many people who are lured by the posters to the movie find the movie quite horrible.
    But the important fact is that the posters drive the people to the theatres. That is my strategy here.

In this I am doing the reverse of what is being done in the Tamil movie world. As there is a Government Grant for pure Tamil names, they have a chaste Tamil name for the film. But the movie is quite awful with a lot of sexy scenes and vulgar dialogues. In my case only the poster is sexy/provocative. The content is chaste.

I can get away with anything not because of my "standing" but because I am a kind of "chella pillai" of this site. And more than my moderators and the leaders of this site, I know my limits and stay with that. But I being I would love to play in the border areas.

I wanted to ask you one thing. If you give a "thuni pottu vartha idli" and our modern pressure-cooker idli to, let's say, a cookery expert like you, can they spot the difference?

If they cant then their cry for the olden ways is only hypocrisy.

Thanks for accepting my invitation to sit with me. Don't worry the chair is quite heavy. Another identical chair has borne me with all my 90 kgs (200 pounds) weight. So you should not be a problem.
    Love,

7. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

You can really count on me provided the dias is strong enough !!!!

Change is the basic need for us. If only all the Mils change to the new ways there would be no mil & dil fight. As Darwin says "Survival of the Fittest", if only we change & adapt ourselves to the everchanging situations, our lives would be more peaceful.

I agree with you in
    .”

Being a commerce graduate I can vouch for the same. Recently I had enrolled myself for a Tally course. I had done my graduation way back in 1991. In my bacth we had 2 more youngster who were doing their ICWA. Honestly I could do the posting of contra entries so correctly and understand the system so well but those two students could not post one contra entry correctly. These are from students of ICWA imagine the plight of non-commerce background.
    <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O />

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  8. varalotti

Dear Aruna,
    You might find the title harmless. But there was one ILite who was really concerned with the title. "Sridhar, at this rate what is going to be the next title?"

Since she was on phone and I was sure that our lines were not tapped, I told her boldly what was in my mind. There was a minute-long silence on the other end. I could see her blushing dark red.

I know Aruna, I am not very straight when it comes to having titles. But there is a reason for that. Please go through my reply to Chithra on this issue.

People always confuse between "trade" and "tricks of trade". Everybody wants to learn the tricks of trade without knowing the trade itself. There lies all the problem. If your grounding in your trade is strong, you can never be displaced by technology.

Your observation about labour saving devices is right. I have an uncle who is 80 plus. He worked for the Railways. Those were the pre-computer days. He worked for six hours a day. For 41 years he sat on the same seat. (They did not even change his chair) He will spend 2 hours every day for buying vegetables afresh. At home they had only a kerosene stove. Mami used to cook for two hours in the morning and two hours in the evening.
    But everybody had loads of leisure time and we used to talk at least for 3 hours in the night. Uncle used to teach his children for 2 hours in the morning.
    You can call this sridhar's maxim, "The leisure-time available is inversely proportional to the number and power of labour saving devices."
    Don't you agree, Aruna?

It will be my privilege to share the dais with a wonderful person like you.
    regards,

9. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Varalotti,

I agree with you.... The Accounts people can understand the competer programming better than the computer programmers understanding the fundamentals of accounting....

Computer programming... basically understanding the logics and sequencing the flow...

I used to have huge arguments at my initial stages with one computer programmer... because, she is also new & I am also new... But then finally understood....bonkbonkbonk... there is no point in arguing....

Over the years.... now, it has become easy for me to explain the programmers what I want, with the advent of advanced softwares... Fortunately I had the opportunity to implement 2/3 ERP softwares... So... managed....

Veda

10. varalotti

Shanthi,
    If all the users are intelligent, I feel excel is excellent for accounting. But the thing is security.
    Cobol,they say is very robust though it takes a lot of time to do the coding

Do you know what language they use for railway reservation system when it first started?

Well, the major requirement was that the system should respond within 4 seconds (given the speed that was available in those days) and there should be a record level lock so that if one clerk has started allotting the berth S1 45 then no one in the country should be able to access it.

Finally they decided that Fortran was the best for that kind of an application.

I personally love Foxpro though it's weak on network connectivity and security issues.

My suggestion now is that every accountant should learn programming for at least two years. And every programmer should have done some Accounting 101 to know the difficulties of an accountant.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
    regards,