1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Will You Let Me Work For You?

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, May 14, 2008.

1. indhusri

indhusri Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sridhar ,
    I was really stunned when I read what you ‘ve said about me – what my comments would have been on reading the tittle ! (“ iththanai varusham kuppaikottinadhukku idhukoodavaa theriaadhu , idhukkenna CBI officeraa varaNum” nu neenga moNamoNakkaradhu nannaa kekkaradhu! ! )
    Anyhow , I change the situation by quoting the song : “ unnai naan ariven ennai nee arivaai “ , right , Sridhar ? ! ? ( song from ‘ policekaaran magal’ movie )

Ramanuja’s great sacrifice brought tears in my eyes . We are sure to earn a lot of ‘ puNyam’ even if we make an attempt to follow him & his principles ! “Ramanujasya sharanau sharanam prapathye”
    “I take refuge in the feet of Sri Ramanujar.” :bowdown:bowdown:bowdown

His words & actions are the most powerful germicide available on earth. They would kill the germs of anger, lust and greed and make our hearts pure and germ-free.( Sorry for having stolen ur own words for praising the great saint ! Hope you won’t mind ! The reason was I couldn’t find more appropriate words to describe him ! :hide:)

– well said ! Skill in action is yoga . Very powerful-very true !

You’ve written very well ,sridhar (excepting the last statement ! ) “
    what , Sridhar …who will dare to let you work for them after reading this – of course ...except me ? Because I don’t want to miss this golden opportunity – having more than 20,000 witnesses ! Big LaughBig LaughBig Laughso my answer is a BI...G YES - hope u didn't expect this from me ... !:wink:

Love,
    Indhu.

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear GFs,

The name of Peria Nambikal's daughter is Athuzhai (and not Nappinnai as I had written earlier.)

There is another version of the same story which says that Ramanujar did not go there himself, but deputed his chief disciple Mudaliandan for the purpose.

Thanks to the interest shown by you I have been researching on this for some time and am coming up with so many things connected with Sri Ramanujar's life.

love,

3. varalotti

Dear Mythili,

I cannot take credit for this post and the earlier one. In both the instances I had planned to write something else and all of a sudden these messages burst out of me.

When you say this it looks quite strange and I feel an extra thrill. Because after reading all your recent posts be it the coming of Amma or Sevathiya's love or the single child syndrome, I have to the conclusion that you are the queen of, 'soft but powerful words' in IL.

I am also following to the next session.

regards,

4. varalotti

Dear Mythili,
    How can I even begin to thank you for such nice compliments paid on my writings. Ramanuja's life has many incidents like these and what we have in the books is only a fraction. I remember to have heard this incident from a Vaishnavite. There are some versions, where it is said, Ramanuja deputed his disciple Mudaliyandan for the purpose.
    Thanks is not the word, Mythili.

That incidentally is not work for me. Playing flute is not work for Krishna. Nor is dancing with his multitude of friends. In the same way writing for my friends in IL is not work for me. It is play, it is love and it is pure joy.

thanks for the fb,
    love,

5. varalotti

Dear Indhu,
    Like our superstar I did not want to be different at home and outside. Of course every one of us is hypocrite to some extent. But I am trying to cut down the distance between my projection and the real me as far as possible. That's why I wrote about what you would say on reading the title.

This song is only 50% right. You know me very well. But I have just started knowing you. (Nice statement to utter after a quarter century of marriage, you murmur. But that's true)

A small clarification Indhu. It's not punyam that we are concerned with. It is pure love. Suppose our Sasthras declare that if you know about Ramanuja or read about him, you will only accumulate a lot of sin. Even then I will be reading about him and thinking about him. When that kind of love comes in the mind, having some sins on the side doesn't hurt.
    Also Ramanuja is such a great saint that it is worthwhile being in hell for eternity, to know about him and partake his love.

Thanks. I admire the ingenuous way in which you quoted my own words to describe our feelings.
    All I have is yours. (of course, I would say except the credit card, wallet and the bank account - idhu eppadi irukku) So you can use my words. No issues.

Well I would also love to come to work for you. But just want to caution you, whether you need two persons who are capable of making a big mess work together? Hope you'd understand. ha ha ha
    love,

Love,

Indhu.

[/quote]

6. Sowparnika

Sowparnika Silver IL'ite

dear sridhar sir,
    wanted to take some time to reply to this....was a bit busy for the last few days....
    The life of Ramanuja, our great Acharya, is always very inspiring...i always think of him as one of the earliest social reformers our country has seen....i am always pained by people who call themselves Srivaishnavas, but look down upon others, on the basis of work, caste etc... no one, who has truly understood Ramanuja would do so...
    i have'nt heard of this incident before, and it truly melts one and is a great lesson in humility....
    if as per the other version, Mudaliyandan had rendered the services at the request of Udayavar, it is an even greater lesson, a lesson in guru-bhakti...

i am reminded of another incident in Ramanuja's life, also connected with Athuzhaai....once, Udayavar was going on the streets, on his daily routine, reciting to himself the Tiruppaavai...he was singing the paasuram "undhu madha kalitran" when he came in front of Periya Nambi's house.Athuzaai opened the door, and Ramanuja, who was deeply immersed in the paasuram, imagined her to be Nappinai, the lord's consort herself...and fell at her feet...
    the more interesting fact is that, Periya Nambigal, on seeing this, guessed what would have been going through Ramanuja's mind, and exclaimed, " you must have been enjoying the 'undu mada kalitran' paasuram ! "
    such was the connection and 'consensus-ad-idem' between Guru and disciple....!
    doubtless you must have heard about this, but i was immediately reminded of this on reading about Athuzhaai....
    Please do write about Ramanuja's disciples too....am sure there would be many interesting anecdotes which teach us valuable lessons in life....

7. varalotti

dear sowpar,

You hit the nail on its head. Ramanuja is a great social reformer as well. It was all because of the pure love he had in his heart. He was not like a politician or statesman who deliberately planned some social reforms. He was a devotee, the very embodiment of love. In that state of intense love naturally the intelligence was also intense. Whatever he did turned out to be right.

I have also heard of the Undhu Madakalitran incident. But it was sheer happiness to read it again in your words. I have not heard of the Peria Nambikal part of the incident. So there, you filled some gaps in education for me.

Actually Sowpar, reading the response to this post, my mind is now overflowing with a lot of incidents that happened in Sri Ramanujacharya's life. At times it is even difficult to believe that a saint of such a stature lived with that kind of humility. Then I thought only such a saint is capable of such a humility and such love.

Will definitely write about his disciples as well.

Thanks for the lovely fb, Sowpar.
    regards,

8. brindhak

brindhak Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar Sir...

Im very Sorry For the late reply... Thankyou very much for Illuminating our minds.. by your Fabulous posts and articles....

A far as I know.... Sri ramanujar was the most important philosopher-saint of Sri Vaishnavam and one of the most dynamic characters of Hinduism. He was a philosophical as well as a social reformer.
    His life and works show a truly unique personality, combining contemplative insight, logical acumen, catholicity, charismatic energy, and selfless dedication to God.

I have not read in depth about the biography of the Great Saint...I remember a piece of information about him when I was going through a article about him few months back....

His physical body is preserved even today in a sitting posture in the Sannidhi (Sanctum Sanctorum) dedicated to him on the southwest corner on the fifth round within the Srirangam temple as ordered by Lord Ranganatha himself.
    IS IT TRUE SIR....??
    IF ITS TRUE...........

The whole world is aghast at the feat of preservation of the mummies of Egypt and the body of St. .Xavier in Goa in India and make so much fuss about them.
    Even some Srivaishnavas are not aware that here in Srirangam. their holiest place hailed as ' Bhuloka Vaikuntam' ( Heaven on Earth) lies preserved the body of Sri Ramanuja in all its pristine state unostentatiously, without any fanfare or publicity and without using any of the chemical preservatives employed by the Egyptian and Goan models.

Expecting More and More From you....
    Love
    Brindha

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  9. subhsk

subhsk Senior IL'ite

Hi Sridhar

I am new member of this ILite group. Went thro' some of ur posts and ofcourse liked ur narration. The way u implant a message inbetween . But I feel its too loonnnnnnnnng description for a message. Konjam surukamaavum yedhachum sollungalayn. Its not my lazyness to read........ But curiosity to know what an author wants to highlight.

Cheers!!!
    SK

10. varalotti

Dear Brindha,
    I almost started missing you in this thread, when you walked in just like that. thanks for that.
    You are right. Ramanuja was one of the greatest saints. He was not just a cult figure. Not just a mutt head. Not just the propounder of a philosophy. But a person of purest love. Every incident in his life will teach us something or the other.

I can't do any better than this.

I don't have any information on this. I have heard that there is one statue, (I think it is in Sriperumpudur, his birth place) which he himself blessed and gave his life and soul to it, before his death. That statue is called, "தானே உகந்தளித்த திருமேனி".
    I am doubtful whether they would have preserved the mortal remains of the Acharya. Because the Hindu tradition forbids it. The body of saints and sages, should not even be burnt, but should only be buried, so that germs and insects can feed on them.

thanks for the nice fb, Brindha.
    love,