1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Will You Let Me Work For You?

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, May 14, 2008.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kaluputti,

First things first. Your user ID sounds quite interesting. There has to be some
    interesting reason/background for that, which I will be grateful to know.

It is heartening to know that you liked what I had to say on Gita's words, Yogam Karmashu Kaushalam.
    I have a friend who is so devoted to Gita that he carries a pocket editon of the book constantly with him. One day I told him as we were discussing about religion, that there is absolutely no difference between reading Gita and listening to film song. I even told him that reading Gita is no way superior to being a waiter at a hotel. He felt offended. He told me what I said was blasphemy and that I have insulted Gita.

I told him that you will be blaspheming the Gita more if you think that reading it can uplift you. Gita is a map, a very good, divine map at that. But at no stretch of imagination can the map, even something as good as Gita, can become the territory. The symbol can never usurp the role of what it represents. So long as we understand this, our life will be in fine balance.

I will be thankful if you can please explain the statement. I can understand that your husband is the second most important man in your life. First is your father, right? Why do you feel that the acceptance was "unwitting"?

regards,

2. varalotti

Dear Kamla,
    Days are such that even if you want to sell some religious books or self improvement books, you need to have the picture of a voluptious actress on the covers. My titles are the closest that I can come to having a sexy actress on the covers of my book. So long as you pay attention to the contents, your ignoring the titles is perfectly okay with me. Some friends like you may not like Nameetha's picture appearing on the cover of the book that talks abour relevance of Gita to our daily life.

Thanks. I am still in the process of learning the lesson. And when I turn out these incidents for others to read, I take that as an opportunity to improve myself, an endeavaour that has been going on for a million lifetimes now, and will be on for a billion more.

You are right, Kamla. It is difficult for ordinary mortals to achieve such a state. Yours truly is a wonderful evidence to prove your point. But reading incidents like these we come to know that there is somewhere beyond the yonder, an ideal point like this towards which we can start to travel. As the Chinese proverb says, the journey of a thousand miles start with a small step.

I wish I also could understand the significance of these statements and help poor Indhu in the household chores. I aspire to do that but end up making a worse mess for her. So the next time when I ask her a la Kaundamani style, "Any help?" she folds her hands in utter despair, "please leave me alone."

thanks.

I am capable of a far worse mess than you can ever imagine, let alone clean up. As to having a heart for you, poor ILites, I have not yet decided. Give me some more time to think.
    love,

3. swethakrishnan

swethakrishnan Senior IL'ite

Dear Varalotti Sir

You really deserve all the praise that you're receiving; not only for your write ups but also for your 'titles' ... when we read the title, we get enthusiastic about reading the whole post ... that is your power of expression! Eagerly awaiting your next post ...

4. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

I find you volunteering with childish willingness, 'Will you let me work for you?' I am in the midst of packing a household full of stuff and lovely memories, so will happily accept any manpower/slave labour that comes my way.

Supposed humour apart, I liked this post. Have good FB and bad FB. Since the bad FB is short and stringent, I will dispense it first. This system of 'catchy titles' is getting a wee bit monotonous. Like K, I too disregard the title. Even when I read the title, I know that there will not be any direct connection between the title and the content of the post.

In another reply, I see that you written that one needs to draw the attention of the readers, something like Namitha on the cover of Bhagawad Geetha. Sridhar, by now you should know where you stand in IL. Your readers here are serious and discerning, they love all 'you' have to say. I am quite sure that if I posted an excellent piece of writing by you in my ID, it would draw hardly three responses (I have three alternate IDs in IL). And if you posted a piece written by me, your gracious readers would flock in with sensible replies. You are a USP brand, an institution in IL. This cry wolf title does not define you or your words anymore.

Now to the part I love, giving good FB. I did not know about this incident. And I am truly humbled by this great saint offering His services as a lowly menial servant. Shows his greatness, his Guru Bhakti, His perception on trivial matters in the general scheme of life. Thanks a million for giving us such valuable lessons. We live in an instant world where everything has to be ready and short like T20. I find that when I read your posts, I get the wisdom that you have garnered over hours of sincere reading and contemplation. You are soon becoming the next IL Guru!

Back to Ramanujar and physical labour, I remember the Mother of Pondicherry also telling us to take pride in whatever we do and see the Supreme in that. And to consider physical work as cleansing, as purging the body of toxins through sweat, and purifying the mind of evil thru humility. Buta Singh when found guilty by the Sikh Khalsa for his role in the anti-Sikh riots, was punished with a sentence of doing menial work( collecting foot wear) in the Holy golden temple. It is good that you have posted the Ramanujar episode here, it has volumes to teach many of u.

Thanks Sridhar. As always, you have a message for us.Loved your replies to the FB, especially to Kaluputti. That was as profound as the lead post.

regards
    Vidya

5. varalotti

Dear Swetha,
    thanks a ton. I too am waiting for the next post. A few ideas are now fighting with each other to come out. Let's see which idea wins the fight.
    regards,

6. varalotti

Dear Vidya,

I would have stood my word if only the place of work is half away across the globe from me.And if you pay for my travel (after all a servant's travel is master's responsibility, right?) I will become most expensive packer in the whole world.

Catchy titles are not for the likes of you and Kamla. I am sure that Kamla and you would have read this post even if I had titled this "Varalotti Blabbers" or "An incident in the life of Sri Ramanuja". But there are new members, juniors who do not know me and I want these people to read my writings.
    I got the idea from a zen story. There was a restaurant in a hill town called 7 bells. Outside the door 7 beautiful bronze bells hung in place and the wind would make them chime musically. In spite of this the hotel was languishing for custom. One day a Zen Master happened to pass that way. The owner of the hotel welcomed him to his place, offered him free food and drinks. As the Master was about to leave the owner told him about his problem. The Master looked at the hotel's interior. It was quite good. And the food and drinks were quite tasty. Then he took the owner to the door and pulled out one of the bells and threw it away.
    'From now on your hotel will prosper."
    "But having taken one bell off should I not name the hotel six bells?"
    "Don't ever do that."

Soon a man who was passing by entered the hotel and complained "How come you have named the hotel seven bells but there are only six on the door?"
    The owner said about some pending repairs. Meanwhile the person saw the beautiful interior and ordered food. He found it good and ordered for more. Before he paid and went out another person came to the owner with the same complaint. And the complainant soon became a customer.
    So is the case with my threads. The title-subject mismatch is the missing 7th bell. It attracts new customers;but I am also aware that it causes a mild frown on the faces of beautiful old customers. Please bear with me.

That was typical Vidya's way of saying nice things about me. Thanks. But as I said earlier, for you and others who know what Gita contains I can market it as such. For others who do not know, Namitha's picture on the cover page is surely a selling point.

The great Tamil writer Chandilyan wrote a beautiful highly readable book on Sri Ramanuja and told his friends, that he was doing some kind of 'prayaschitham' for some of his earlier writings. I read that book several times and this incident is lifted from that book.
    Thanks for upgrading me to the guru status (I think that is not in the scheme of things in the new elite-status announced recently). But I would rather prefer to remain in the ordinary ILite status, charged with the responsibility of passing on to other ILites what I consider good and valuable.

Thanks for bringing in two parallels in the modern context.

I am thrilled to find that you have read my reply to Kaluputti. And for me responding to a FB is at least as important as the leader post, if not more.

Enjoyed every word of beautiful fb. Thanks.
    love,

7. swarnalata.N.S.

swarnalata.N.S. Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sir
    I had heard of Napinnai name but not detail story. Ramanujar's humble actions are unbelievable and should be lesson for all of us. But so difficult to follow. The value of physical work was teached by Gandhiji too he made his wife do all kind of work even public lavatory jobs and he wrote in autobiography how it will build character of person to be humble and do service for mankind. I think only saint can be like that.
    Just now before this i was reading one blog about sacrifice kind of life for all women and many ladies have written all women are born with thyagam thoughts. But what i think is all these thyagam we do only for family only and not like Gandhiji said for public service.:redface:
    I dont know if we read Ramanujar's example we can become better and offer service to all ? In this century, Iliccha vaayai kandaal thalayiley molagai aracchu viduvaanga ! ( i dont know how to tell that in english.)
    yours sincerely
    swarnalata

8. varalotti

Dear Swarnalatha,
    You are right, Ramanujar's life is an inspiration for all of us, though an imitation of the same, without the underlying love in our hearts is impossible. Enough if we are aware that great people go to that extent to show their love. This knowing would ultimately set us free. You are right, Gandhi, respected the dignity of labour and cleaned the toilets himself and even made his wife do that. Again an impossible example to follow.

This is a valid point. I will give an anecdote to illustrate the point. When I was doing CA, one of my friends used to do his Accountancy problems while listening to Vivid Bharathi (in those days TV was not there; audio systems were not this ubiquitous) He scored very high marks in Accountancy in the CA inter examinations. And then it became a craze in our office to listen to Vivid Bharathi while doing Accounting problems. Legend has it, that one hardworking boy asked his father, 'Dad, get me a Philips Transistor, for unless I listen to Vivid Bharathi while working on my accounts, I may not get high marks.' The father obliged.
    But many students failed in the Accounts paper. The lesson we learn from this simple incident is, that the students instead of emulating the other boy's qualities just imitated his methods. There is a world of difference between the two. Emulation is much more difficult, requires hard work and determination; whereas imitation is superficial and easy to follow.
    What applies to CA and Vivid Bharathi applies with greater force to Ramanuja. We should not imitate his methods - of working in another house, or wearing a panchakacham or having 12 namam all over the body. But try to emulate his qualities - his love, his humility and his respect for menial work.
    Only when people try to mindlessly imitate great souls others see it as an opportunity to "milaka arachify". While doing something out of genuine love no one can cheat us. For when we are in a state of pure love, we are in a state of godliness, and it is impossible to cheat on God.

Welcome to this great community, Swarnalatha. Keep writing more.

regards,

9. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    you are not simply writing,you are doing a great service.When you started telling about SriRamanuja ,something happened to me.I became very emotional.Your words are soft but powerful.Iam going to the next session.
    mithila

10. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    Today is a special day for me.I got to read this thread written so wonderfully,superbly.
    I learnt so many things that happened in Ramanuja's life that I never knew before.

The great saint, who showed us all the path to God Himself, who showed us the love of God, the great man who propounded the eternal Vishistadvaita Philosophy, the great scholar, who wrote Bhashyam to the Gita and the Upanishads, washed their clothes, cleaned the floor and even removed the leaves on which they had eaten.
    I savoured,enjoyed and was touched by these lines.As I told you,you touch the core of our souls.
    I went back to your question.Yes,I will let you work for me my dear friend,working for me will not be manual you see.I will even command you to let me know more and more about the greatest among great saints SriRanmanuja.While reading this thread I was not at my home,mentally I was in the sanctum sanctoram of a temple.
    Thank you for the wonderful time you gave.
    Regards
    mythili