1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Will You Have One More Date With The Satan? Just One More?

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Aug 19, 2007.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Will You Have One More Date With The Satan? Just One More?

I am moved by your kind gesture of actively listening, even if it was just the usual Satan quoting the ancient Vedas.

Encouraged by your response, by your support, and by the genuine affection shown by you, (A few raised doubts about Satan’s identity. And of course a few had absolutely no doubts about it. For me both are signs of love and affection, qualities ILites possess in abundance) I have decided to come out again with some spiritual meanderings.

I have said often in this forum that sitting tight and focussing the thoughts on a burning candle or a rose flower, has never been my brand of meditation. Many times it was not I who meditated, but meditation happened.

For me meditation happens at times, for example, when I go out on long solitary bike rides with no purpose, with no agenda, hidden or open and with no worries or concerns in my mind.

The other day on a humid evening when I was cruising on my powerful machine in a crowded street meditation started to happen. But there was an interruption this time.

The vehicle that went before me had this inscription written in golden letters: “God is coming. Are you prepared?” It appeared as if the letters were written exclusively for my attention. The bold, 30 inch-size font used for that strange message hit me on my head and then started working on my nerves.

Probably the car belonged to an evangelist and he had chosen the statement from out of a million others he uses in his fiery speeches.

Too stunned to react to this totally unexpected statement I shifted the gears and slowed down the motorcycle. As I was following the evangelist's car my mind lost its meditative state and started thinking on the statement.

Am I prepared for God’s coming? A man of many sins, past, present and future how can I ever hope to prepare myself for Her arrival? When She comes may be I can show Her an impressive score card. But did I play the game of life strictly by the rules? If God out of Her infinite love and compassion uses the “B&L Rule” then I stand a good chance.

What’s the “B&L Rule?” B&L Rule is what we accountants use many times to defend our clients from the clutches of rigorous tax laws.

Our tax laws have innumerable provisions, humongous procedural regulations that only a very few can boast of perfect compliance. So for those who are caught violating a small provision, we tell the Assessing Officer, “You see, Sir, my client has, “By and Large” complied with the applicable provisions. Please be kind enough to condone minor violations.”

May be with God I thought I can use the same defence. But I was not very sure. Not that God would not condone minor infringements; but I am not sure whether my infringements can be classified as “minor” and my compliance termed as “by and large.”

I was ashamed of myself. When the Great God Herself was coming to see me, even on that momentous occasion, I was thinking like a mofussil accountant, thinking of God’s Law as Income Tax Act and trying to defend myself. Shame on you, Sridhar, my conscience hollered!

2. varalotti

If God Herself is coming, why should I be prepared? Do you need any preparation at all to receive God? And how the hell can you prepare yourself for God’s arrival?

This is a very profound moment to pause. Suppose my lover is coming to see me in my bachelor’s digs, then I should definitely prepare myself. I should wear the best dress I have.

Should tidy the room and arrange things. May be a close shave and a dash of mild perfume would help. Oh, I forgot, should hide all the “indecent exposures” hanging on the walls. And may be hang a few neat pictures to impress her. And may be I would get that Music CD as a gift for her.

Suppose my boss were to come home to see me, yes, I should be prepared. I should ask my wife to prepare some delicacies. Clean the drawing room and decorate it. Dress up every one in the family. May be even rehearse the introductions. Hide all the junk in the attic till he leaves.

So what is preparation? To hide whatever is unpleasant and to show in better light, whatever brings happiness to the visitor.

But when God Herself is the visitor? Can I hide anything from Her in such a way that She cannot see them? Can I show anything - anything for that matter- better than what it actually is? She knows everything about me. There is nothing to hide and nothing to show. Nothing to be afraid of, nothing to be ashamed of and of course nothing to be proud of, in Her glorious presence.

To the Loving Being who knows me in my absolute nakedness, in body, mind and soul, how can I show myself in a better light? To the omniscient God, who knows my conscious, sub-conscious and unconscious minds, inside out, and who knows about my thoughts even before they arise in my mind, I have nothing to show and nothing to hide.

Some one visits you to know you better and to love you more. A lover comes to your place to know about how you live and to love you more for that. A mother visits her married daughter in another country to know about her life there and to love her even more. How can we hold these statements to God, who already knows us better than we ourselves do and who loves us with all His heart in spite of that knowledge?

Then it dawned on me that God is the only person for whose visit there is no preparation and there cannot be any. You are ready to receive him any time, any place. At <st1:time minute="0" hour="0">midnight</st1:time> when you are half asleep, or in your office when you are extremely busy, or in the middle of a nasty fight with your mother-in-law, you are prepared to receive the Great Visitor.

Wait, wait, wait. Like a typical accountant I have missed the woods for the trees. I was so enamoured by the second statement, “Are you prepared?” that I completely overlooked the first, “God is coming.” Yes, that is a blatant falsehood. How can God come? It is not possible. The emphasis is on the word “come.”

Now tell me ladies, what can “come” here? Only that which is not here till now and is there somewhere can come here. But She, I mean God, is present here, there and all the places in between. She was, is and will be thus present in all the times. So will it not be absurd to say that God is coming?

Did not our seer tell us that She is perfect bliss who fills up all the places that we can see?

பார்க்கும் இடம் எங்கும் ஒரு நீக்கமற நிறைந்திருக்கும் பரிபூரணானந்தமே

3. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Thats right Varalotti !

"Come " from where ? To where ? And "what" comes ?..................

Kaakkai Siraginiley, Nandalala, ninthan kariya niram thonruthaye , Nandalala !
    Paarkkum marangalellam, Nandalala, ninran pacchai niram thonruthaye, Nandalala Ketkum oliyilellam, Nandalala,ninran geetham isaikkuthada Nandalala !
    Theekkul viralai vaitthaal Nandalala. ninnai theendum inbam thonruthaye Nandalala !

("Ezhavathu manithan" padatthil Yesudas ithai paadakke'ttaal, Nandalala,
    Bharathiyudan, naanum neeyum aaduvathu polirukkuthada , Nandalala !)

Quote : Thirumurai pathigam :

Pannum padam ezhum pala osai thamizh avaiyum
    ul ninrathor suvaiyum uru thaalatthu oliyum
    mannum punal uyirum varu kaatrum sudar moonrum
    vinnum muzhuthaanaan.......

aayaathana samayam pala ariyaathavananeriyin
    thayanavaruyirkatku moonralaiyaanavan marai
    muttheeyaanavan sivan emmiraiselvan thiruvaaroor meyavan..............

( Broad Translation for non-tamil speakers :
    He is the melody, the seven notes, the sounds of language and the sweetness inherent in them, the rhythm of music ; he permeats the earth, water, fire, life, wind and sky.

He is imcomprehensible to religions, is the mother of dharma, the begining and the elder of all life, is the form of the three fires spoken of in vedas......)

So, nothing to" prepare " for! No one is coming. God is already here !

rgds
    manjula

4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear sridhar,
    here u already know she is omnipotent and those kinds of words are for people who are still in the slumber of life and have no time to know her presence, she is there, but it is our direction of thought needs to be tapped to show her presence within us, always, sunkan

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

God is coming ! Are you prepared!!! I dont know if god is really coming, but the evangelist surely knows how to drive a relaxed man's mind into a whirlpool.

When I feel he is with me why should i prepare for his coming and all. I dont believe in Judgement day. What you sow you reap here. Deivam ninru kollum, arasan anre kolluvan (am i right?) is all old today it is andha nimishame kolluvan. there is no waiting.

Again here the P & P accounts come into the front. The Paavam and Puniyam accounts. I really would like to know what is paavam and puniyam. what looks like paavam to one may be puniyam to the other. the butcher slaughtering a sheep looks paavam to me, but it is his duty and he is filling/placing food on the table for his family that is the puniyam.

So again am i prepared ??? I dont know. What i know is that do my duty properly. bakthi and puniyam and happiness everything follows.

6. kripa shankari

kripa shankari New IL'ite

dear sri
    god is present everywhere and in everyone.
    i would further go on and say that i or u do not exist
    we r alll part of her and her creations.
    so what is there to prepare and who will prepare it.
    to me god is not a judge or a task master.
    god is universe ,god is nature.
    till the time we live we have pragna or consciousness we interact
    with our other beings be it humans,trees,animalsetc.
    by this way we meet her form every day and every second.
    luv
    krips

7. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Varalotti,

I was licking my lips and eagerly read that u will be talking about satan, so that i can understand him better and stay away from him.

Nice and thought provoking, kindling ur feelings as usual.

Few additional points like Notes on Accounts.

What is p&p or sins or receiving God etc........ The great theif became valmiki.... The arrogant king became the great vishwamithra........ In one of the short stories in Mahabaratha it is portrayed that a buther who kills lives as great personality and to be learnt from him.....

So where are we..... Is it not so confusing...... All the puranas says that the live GOD, whom we can see, feel and talk to are our parents. If we respect them and do our duties and keep them happy at their older age, that is the greatest punniyam...... So why should I go out and search for GOD.

Why should i receive GOD. He is not my FIL/MIL or my Employer so that i should receive him formally. (The fact being I have never in my life till date received my FIL/MIL........ so i dont know the formalities..........)

He is within us...... The day we realise then we will not think of anything else...... That happiness/joy...... The day the man realises GOD and merges with him he will stop doing anything.... He will not even talk...... he will be just sitting in a corner like a statue...... If everybody reaches that stage then the world will come to a stand still as nothing will move.......... That is why in nature there is always a +ive with a -ive..... like in accounting terminology ..... If there is a Debit there should be a Credit........ I may be wrong also...... U can enlighten me more on this as a senior experienced person.......

So.... GOD is already here and we have to only realise him...... But on that day we will not be talking.......... only enjoying the purity & happiness.....

Veda

8. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    That was really Meditation! You felt that the meditative mood was lost at the sight of a catchy inscription- “God is coming. Are you prepared?” But I feel otherwise. At that moment of meditation you attained 'Realisation', a higher state than that of the meditative one! Don't you think so? By the way, not any of us could have expressed one small incident in such a beautiful manner as to give all of us a sermon on God's Omnipresence. We would love to have more and more dates with the Satan to experience such bliss in your writings!
    I think we will all miss you for a whole 2 months since you will be busy with your professional work. I personally wish you all success for your professional trip abroad.

9. varalotti

For a change, Manjureddy, I have got Thats right Varalotti ! from you.
    I think I am more able in instigating you to write finest posts than writing one myself.
    That was a really good one.
    regards,

10. varalotti

dear sundari,
    I know She is omnipotent and omnipresent only at the level of information. At that level everything is insipid.
    Let me attempt a metaphor here. Someone tells me that there is a very beautiful girl some where up north. For me that's as bland as saying 'Consumer price index for July is 631 points.'
    But when I see a beautiful girl right across the road, I stand on my tracks. When I see her, when I sense the beauty of her eyes, her face and all, something is happening inside me.
    In the first case I just "knew" about beauty. In the second I experienced it. Even my experience was only partial.
    The same is with statements like God is Omnipotent. God is Love. First these assertions are heard as if they were the NIFTY indices. But as the statements slowly soak in, experiences start to happen. I would say that the incident I described just gave me a trillionth of the real experience of the statement that God is Omnipresent.

Love,