1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Will You Be My Valentine?

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Feb 14, 2008.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Will You Be My Valentine?

I may not be brilliant; at the same time I am not that dumb to risk this question before 15000 gracious, well-meaning women (of which my wife is one) on this Valentine’s day.

Before the wonderful moderators place their hands on the mouse to issue infraction and before the ladies figuratively take off their high-heeled shoes “to teach Varalotti a lesson” , let me just say in my defence, that this is not a statement of flirtation.

It is arising out of a kind concern, or rather anxiety that you should not miss something important in your lives. Not being a marketing expert I know only this kind of cheap tricks to grab your attention.

“What the hell are you talking about, Varalotti?” I hear you say.

“Drop whatever you are doing now. Go get the book The Witch Of Portobello By Paulo Coelho. And start reading it. Right Now.”

In another way it is very apt to write about this book on Valentine’s day. This book is all about love. But not the love that is exhibited in parks and beaches, not the love that is manifested through Archies cards or much more colourful e-Cards, not the love that is “supposed to be there” between husbands and wives.

Not even the love between us and God, in the way we have perceived for so long. We love God in the same way we may love the Alladin’s lamp, if we have one. We’ll protect the lamp, preserve it, venerate it and even worship it, so long as it gives us whatever we ask for.

The Witch Of Portobello is the story of Athena, a gypsy girl abandoned by her mother, adopted by another and grows into a young lady in spiritual quest. She induces fire into the bellies of those who work with her for a bank just by making them dance every morning. She goes to the <st1:place>Arabian desert</st1:place> to learn calligraphy and then goes in search of her biological mother.

The book is atheistic in the sense it denies God the Father sitting beyond the clouds and issuing rules for our behaviour and monitoring their compliance. The book is theistic in the sense it affirms the existence of Mother earth, Gaia, who is there for us all the time.

Dancing, calligraphy, or for that matter any other ritual is just a means to manifest the Mother residing in our hearts.

The words of Athena’s calligraphy teacher is addressed to all of us:

“The brush with which you are making these lines is just an instrument. It has no consciousness, it follows the desires of the person holding it. And in that it is very like what we call “life”.

“Many people in this world are merely playing a role, unaware that there is an Invisible Hand guiding them. At this moment, in your hands, in the brush tracing each letter, lie all the intentions of your soul. Try to understand the importance of this.”

These words spoken in the context of calligraphy applies with equal force to any activity you love to do with your heart and soul. The Invisible Hand guides the instruments of your work – be it the paint brush, the chisel, the pen, the computer-mouse, the shovel or the pick-axe, the hot plates, the knife and the scalpel or even the toilet-cleaning brush.

In addition to being a spiritual teacher Paulo Coelho proves himself to be a master story teller. The 323 page-novel has a quite unexpected ending. And it has a unique format as well. Don’t ever try to read the end first.

Many Internet sites ask you about the list of “ten things you should do before you die.” Well, if you happen to prepare a list like that make sure that reading this book figures somewhere near the top.

The Witch Of Portobello also talks of love between a man and a woman. And such love need not culminate in sex or be expressed through kisses and hugs.

It could be as Athena tells another character in the book, “I love you. Not in the way that your human side wants but in the way that divine spark wants. We inhabit the same tent which was placed on our path by Her. (Mother Goddess). There we understand that we are not the slaves of our feelings but their masters.”

We the fifteen thousand plus ILites inhabit the same tent (the IL site) placed on our path by our Mother Goddess (acting through Malathy). In the sense in which Athena talks about love I can say, I love you all.

Is there now at least a partial justification of the title of this post?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008

2. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

An apt writeup on a beautiful day !!

In the morning only I was thinking why valentine's day should be celebrated between a man & a woman. I always felt LOVE is something very divine (read my thread what is LOVE in queries on religion & spirtuality). It should not be restricted and shld be free flowing. Love should not have any expectations also. Though I have not read the book but noted it for future. I will never say you are wrong nor take my high heeled shoes.

I can surely be your valentine if at all I am worthy of the great VR.Bow

With lots of LUV

3. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Varalotti
    Just reading the title was going to reply to you ofcourse I will be your Valentine.
    And wanted to sit her and watch what ur wife have to say on this...........:spin:spin
    But you wanted all the ladies to read the link under your signiture.........Rant.........
    (Just kidding)

You really write great......It is not necessary that valentine should be celebrated just between husband and wife or between a man and a woman...........It can be with anyone..........Hope I am right................
    Last year I celebrated Valentine with a bunch of young UNI students as these kids were missing they home so had a small party for them ofcourse they all came and helped me in arranging the party it was real great fun with them. A real memorial one............and this was in Australia.
    This year I am here among the mummiesBig LaughBig Laugh...............Nothing much just going out for dinner and excited too as my son is going out and celebrating his 1st valentine day this year.............:biggrin2:

4. varalotti

Dear Lalitha,
    Thanks for those great words. And thanks for accepting to by my valentine. Having said that using that position I now request you to get hold of the book as early as possible and read it.

I'll surely read your thred on love. And can you please give me the links?

The author says in one place that many people use the word love in phrases like "I love my work" or "I love books" etc. He says love should be reserved exclusively for human relationships.

Thanks once again for the love, Lalitha.
    with love,

5. varalotti

Dear Aruna,

Well, thanks for accepting the offer. I told my wife immediately after posting the thread. I was reading till 11 PM yesterday and I completed the book. Posting the thread on the book on Valentine's day was a last minute idea. So could not tell her in advance.

She has been asking me since morning "How many valentines have you got so far?"

I am thrilled and ecstatic that two people have accepted. But 2 out of 15800........that's far worse than my stories acceptance rate in magazines ha ha ha

Your idea of celebrating valentines day with a bunch of uni students is quite touching. There also your love manifested, but that was motherly love towards children away from their mothers.

Now tell me while your son is out for his Valentine, how do you feel?

Here it was work as usual. I and my wife may go for a long ride late in the night. That's about the maximum celebration we have on this great day.

thanks for responding,
    love,

6. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

7. tsseethalakshmi

tsseethalakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Dear varalotti,
    As you are a grate writer I think the headline has different meaning some thing beyand the common meaning.It is a grate write up.Will you please accept me as your valentine.When I was in tamilnadu I am your fan also.
    tsseethalakshmi

8. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar!
    This was a soothing write=up that I came across while I was in a low spirit.And the book you have suggested, I shall surely look for. Though I purchased a lot of books during the visit to the book exhibition, I am yet to complete reading a single book. I have started on your 'Manithanin putthagam' but am going at a snail's pace. Some times life does tire us, however courageously we try to fight back. So I was extremely happy to see this write up and thought of thanking you for boosting the spirit. I am yet to read the 'He" episodes 12,13 and 14.
    Warm Regards,
    Malathi

9. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes Varalotti I am really excited and happy, as I am a person who always encourage youngester to go out and have fun and to enjoy life, keeping somethings in mind, and draw some limitations lines around them. As you know now a days some kids take the liberty of this.

So you are waiting for 15,800 valentine............wowBowkeep going.................Hope you can handle them all:2thumbsup::boo::boo:.............................ALL THE BESTBig Laugh

Love
    Aruna

10. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

[​IMG]hi sridhar, here are some wishes your way...sunkan