1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Will You Be My GF?

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Mar 20, 2008.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Corallux,
    Did you see the answer statistics relating to your question? 45 had answered and out of them 41 got it right. Good show.
    You are most welcome, GF.
    Let's for a moment assume that my wife is lucky. She puts her feet up and says, "Hubby dear, please ask one of your GFs to cook for me."
    And let's further suppose I ask the favour from you. How will you respond, Corallux?
    regards,

2. varalotti

Hello Vanaja,
    You are most welcome. Will definitely read your thread soon.
    regards,

3. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello sridhar

pochuda
    ithana naala
    kittathatta oru varudam
    padaithathai padithum
    padithathai sila purinthukondum
    silavatrukku kovithum
    kai thatti rasithum
    bathil solla mudiyaamal thavithum
    pesatha pothu pesium
    (sridhar ingu naan pesatha enru solvathu
    you never comment on what i write...!!
    but i do comment whatever)
    en bathilai maattrikkolla maruthum..
    nizhalaay thodarnthathu
    ethuvum GF illaya?
    nalla GF enbavar sollamale
    ketkamale allava
    purinthukondirukkavendum
    ithanai naalum
    GF enru illamal
    yaarudan pazhagikkondirukkirom?

sathya

4. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

Ha ha good one BF,

She will have to come here to Melb then....

Regards,

Corallux

5. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

I will be very happy and honoured to be your Good Friend. One of the blessings of IL is that it has opened up new vistas to meet stable friends and life coaches. A good friend is one who aids the development of the other. I can definitely say that after knowing you, I have learnt a lot more. Your posts on Kambar, Gibran, motivation- continue to linger on the brain long after they are read and relished. In Kali Yugam, one of the recommended activities is 'Satsangam'. And what can be better than Sat Sangam with an eminent soul like you.

And having said that, I must echo what Kamla has touched upon in her post. Over the net, it is so easy to be good friends. We do not make actual demands on the other, never ask the friend for a loaner, never ask the friend to baby sit or carry a package------ the system is so easy. We can all reveal and rescind with a click of the mouse and things will proceed smoothly. And many things which will be offensive when said face to face, become much easier to transact over the net.

And I must, myself post two disclaimers to my above lament. For one, while it is very easy to remain good friends over the net, many tend to abuse it. I am not talking about the lecherous men asking for dates, or the Nigerian 419 scams. I am talking of the more covert and slimy undercurrents that are all too common in social net working groups. The fact that personal meetings may or may not materialise can rake up the true vileness or goodness in people.

And second, it is very easy and convenient to have impersonal, invisible net buddies. What one cannot reveal to ones closest ones (because they are involved in the issues) can be voiced with suitable precautions to a net buddy. Of course, more danger is rampant there. But such networks do act a parachutes, support systems, shoulders to cry on.

Yup, would like to be your good friend. There is a surreal quality to net friendship like rail snehitam. If we cannot fulfil these virtual relationships, we are unfit to fulfil real friendships.

regards
    Vidya

6. varalotti

7. varalotti

hello sathya,

amma thaaye sathya
    neengal solvathu sari than
    GF enbadhu sollamaleye
    therinthirukka vendum

itthanai naal kazhithu
    ivvaluvu postukku appuram
    neengal en GF a enru kettathu thapputhan

enraalum
    GF enru theirntha pinnum
    neengal en GF a enru
    kettu
    atharkku
    neengal ellarum
    aamam, aamam enru sollum pothu
    athil oru
    sukam irukkirathu illaiya!
    athanal than appadi ketten

pokira pokkil
    kaiyil oosiyai vaithukkondu
    athai satham podaamal
    vazhai pazhathil etriya ungal
    nutpam paaratukku uriyathu

oru potti
    naan vaazhai pazham enru sonnathu
    ethai
    oosi enru sonnathu ethai
    pathil therinthum sollavittal...

regards,

8. varalotti

Dear Vidya,

to be accepted by a better writer and a better person as a good friend is a matter not just of honour, but of pride as well, to me.

Sharing Gibran and Kambar with you all has been only for selfish reasons. When I know I am going to write about something I normally make a thorough study. The fact is that I knew Gibran and Kambar better because I knew I was going to write about them here and that the posts will be read by persons of your stature.

I think you are the first to bring in Satsangam here in the concept of friendship. Satsangam is praised in thousands of lines in our ancient scriptures. Sankara prescribed Satsangam even for detachment. For him the the process of enlightenment started with satsangam.

He says in Bhaja Govindam

Satsangathve nissangathwam
    nissangathvw nirmohathvam
    nirmohathve nischala thathvam
    nischala thatve jeevan mukthihi

Out of satsangam detachment is born.
    With detachment, the delusions go.
    When delusions go, the unshaken principle gets in
    And with that comes enlightenment.

Net friendship has its advantages. Anonymity is the main advantage. The friendship that I have here cannot be had in the real world. Let's say some ILite is my GF. Here I can exchange views on anything under the sun. Cannot do it if I know her in person. Cannot go to her house on Wednesdays and Saturdays to discuss Paulo Coelho or talk about a rally against God.

I wish every one reads about the two powerful disclaimers you have explained in your post. Exchange of confidences should be done only when the friendship is at such a stage that there is absolute confidence in the other. There are many who exchange confidences encouraged by anonymity.

I had a e buddy in Michigan who used to seek advice from me even on issues like to what extent she can go in sexual relationship with her boyfriend. At first I was shocked. But then she told me that I was safe because I was thousands of miles away and that I dont know even her last name, let alone her home address.

For me it increased my sense of responsibility. When the relationship ended because she had decided to move in with her boyfriend, I was a much wiser, more matured man than before.

Thanks. You have honoured me. What you have said is true. But IL friendship, I should hasten to add, is much more than a mere rail snehitham.
    That is its strength and its weakness too.
    regards,

9. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello sridhar

puthir ketpathil
    neengal mannaraga iruppinum
    therinthe irunthaalum
    bathil solvathil
    naan rani alla
    thalaye vedithaalum....!!

sathya

10. ansh12

ansh12 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Varalotti

I am impressed with the writer in you, I read your posts but aways refrain from commenting as I don't gte adequate words and feel shy to do so with my limited vocabulary.

I agree 100% with whatever you have written over here. I too never ever had BF(boy freinds) as I always thought of just academics and somehow,I always wanted to marry a person arranged by my parents.

I too had male friend when nearing 40, that too my ex-classmates(I shall be 41 shortly). But as you have pointed out single women are always considered to be available and also looked upon with suspicion.

But, I would surely like to be GF of a person like you, who has respect for female folk.

Now ball is in your court

Best wishes
    Ansh