Will The Central Government Ever Stop Pushing Hindi On Tamil Nadu ?

Discussion in 'Tamil Nadu' started by Minion, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

So you feel that the whole Indian culture is defined by Hindi and there is no other better language to define Indian culture?

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My mom was similarly annoyed with us having to learn three languages. She kept saying we will never use Hindi in our lifetimes. Why learn it? It has only helped us. One of us had to move to Delhi and guess what - everything in the license office to tax office is in Hindi. Hindi at this age and stage is easier than learning it as an adult. Same with mother tongue. It’s easy to teach kids when they are relatively young. Go for all the languages you can teach. If it happens at school even better. It will get easier over time and they will benefit from it. It is always better to know the language and never use it rather than not know it.

stayblessed likes this.
  3. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Hindi is the Official Language adopted by the Central Government to have one unifying language while 22 other languages can be used by the States to use as official languages for administrative communications. This is my uneducated mind's understanding of an official language.

Hindi (Devnagari script) is the closest to many other languages spoken across the length of India outsie of the South and is hence the practical choice of an official language, in addition to a regional language. I think just having forms for administrative purposes in Tamil in addition to Hindi and English is sufficient, instead of impractical solutions like having Biharis and UP-ites and Assamese learn Tamizh or Kannada or whatever. Of course, this is what I think, from my uneducated mind!!

4. Laks09

I’m not deviating the core topic. Someone posted about the migrant workers and I responded. No, in the last few trips, all Toll booth workers, hotel workers are all non Tamil speaking people. Especially on the highways.

Did I say that? I was just mentioning what I know, not my opinion. What other language do you propose the constitution should have been written in?

5. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

People like you who don’t have the understanding of how important a language is to a person or a state should not comment. FYI Tamil has gone outside the border of India in Malaysia, Singapore, Sri Lanka to find its place in the government.

6. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

That is exactly what you said

The reason Hindi came about is so that the Indian culture didn’t get washed off after a century of British rule. It was an anti British, pro Indian culture sentiment that brought about Hindi in India. Especially for the purpose of writing the Indian constitution. The writes of the constitution were well versed in English but probably chose Hindi for it to be India’s own constitution that every Indian can embrace.It became the central government’s official language ofcommunication probably for similar reasons.

7. Laks09

Yes. And it’s not my opinion. It’s the opinion of the founding fathers of India. That they needed one language to unite the people of the country. In post independent India where anti English sentiments were high they picked Hindi as that language. The Indian constitution got written in Hindi and it also became the central governments official language of communication.

8. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

India is a union of states with different language and culture if the central government fails to understand that and keeps pushing this like this it will eventually have to deal with civil war.

9. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

Founding fathers of what true leadership is when you realize your mistakes and be ready to make a change. It was easy to make decisions when the whole country was going through chaos without knowing what ALL the people of India wants

10. Laks09

I didn’t say anywhere that India isn’t. India is a melting pot of cultures. I think Indians should understand where Hindi came from. It came about to instill Indian-ness in the constitution which English would not have provided. I have opined only about the official stance of writing the constitution in Hindi and hence it being the official language of communication for the central government.