1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Will Kids Blame Laid-back Parents?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Rihana, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Laid-back parents are parents who have a more relaxed attitude towards parenting. They do not fret if child misses a milestone that his peers have long accomplished. These parents are fine with child getting average grades. They encourage child to try out new things and to work hard, but do not insist on it.

In the crucial school years of 9th-12th grades when most parents are losing their sanity over coaching classes, college admissions, and worrying about the career child is moving towards, the laid-back parents are there to support the child, but let child do the navigation and leading.

You get the picture - the laid-back parent is the parent that many parenting articles and guides say a parent should strive to be.

Question - if a kid with laid-back parents grows up, and at 19 or 20 or 21 or 24 yrs, realizes he could have accomplished much more, that he had the potential to do better so far, will he blame parents for their laid-back-ness and ask why they weren't a little more pushy?

Can laid-back-ness come back to haunt a parent?

SunPa and sindmani like this.

2. BlackMan

BlackMan Silver IL'ite

This question truly not required, only theory is that if a kid is good enough he will get success.It got nothing to do with parents or any others, if the kid do not show interest in studies he can very well excel in some other area.

Rihana and sindmani like this.
  3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Resist resist resist .... Finally gave up

Very laid back will it haunt me? Will know in a decade....

Rihana, sindmani and Sairindhri like this.
  4. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

A friend once told me, "every good parent worries about his/her parenting style". So every time one worries about it, should have, could have, would have done it , I am already being a good parent, no?

That aside, I guess it depends on the child's temperament. And how you take it depends on your temperament.

Honestly, how many kids dont blame their parents anyway? Almost all I know , especially myself, complain. from something small to big. my list of complaints with my mom - Why didn't you make me more disciplined, why didn't you make me wake up by 6 am every morning, why did you let me snack so much, why did you let appa pamper me so much ( I can't blame my dad for anything)...

and mom would just shrug and say when she another child she will take care of these. And advises me to include those in my parenting so that my children won't complain to me. :eek:

SCk and Rihana like this.
  5. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

If a child decides to blame his parents , then he/she might do it irrespective of how strict/lenient the parents were. So this really has nothing to do with the thought of how will they react in the future.

In general, it is better to mould children in such a way that they realise they are alone responsible for their actions at every step in their life. So guiding and supporting the kids to ensure they make good decisions is crucial.

Indhradhanu, knbg, viki123 and 2 others like this.
  6. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Now as a parent, I too have my share of am I doing it right. While I do my best, sometimes the efforts of fellow parents does make me feel tad guilty,

Actually, I have told my kids - that we (dh and I) do what we think is best for them - within our means, at times even stretching a little more than should. Sometimes, we may be wrong, it may not turn out to be the best for them. It is really up to them to do what they can to improve themselves. DH though is plagued by self-doubt - are we doing enough, is there something we should have done? And picks my brain. My doubts vanish when he does that :p

I have already been blamed by my now 12 yr old ( when he was 8) for not having started him on chess lessons earlier. I enrolled him in chess when he was 6+. That was a 2 yrs too late according to him. I do ponder perhaps a budding Vishy was squashed thanks to my laziness. I told him too bad you got me as your mom, just make the best of it. Now you better work twice as hard to make up for that lost time. But apparently hard work doesn't run in this family. :facepalm:

Rihana likes this.
  7. Rihana

But is it possible that kid will in late teens or 20's, ask parents why they didn't push him a little more.

8. Rihana

: I think the laidback that comes after trying and giving up, is different from the 'organic' laidback. And the former category, is just un-laidback on pause. : )

I won't call myself laid-back, but have definitely backed off. : ) LOL, terms coining themselves by the dozen here.

jskls likes this.
  9. Rihana

I am going to borrow that!
    :)

10. Rihana

True, but there is a difference between an adult child blaming parents for being too strict (happens often), and a child blaming parents for being too easy-going and not pushing a bit more to reach his potential.

That is theory. In their teen years, parents are responsible for what the child does, and how much he does.