1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Will Gandhiji's Words become true some day ??

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by manasa_gs, Mar 25, 2009.

1. manasa_gs

manasa_gs Senior IL'ite

Hi ladies,
    I remember reading somewhere that Gandhiji had said that we get true independence only when our women can walk safely in the nights.
    Do you think this will happen some day??

I have started this thread just to let out my outburst. Why is it that we are taken for granted by men. Is it just because we are women, have they themselves considered that we have to undergo such things.

After facing so many bitter experiences, iam really furious and irritated. Well, let me tell you an example, iam sure many of you here would have faced similar situations.

I had gone to an exhibition with my parents, there was guy, iam sure he must have been in his college, tried to capture me in his mobile, i was alert and i just snatched his mobile, and made him delete my picture. Similar incident happened when i was travelling in a share auto. That guy was really looking decent(Only externally)....

Dont i have any other job, other than looking around for people who are taking my pictures. This is just an example....other than this, there are many more incidents.....u know it pretty well...

I have read an article published in a Tamil Weekly (Snehidhi) , it is wriiten by a doctor who says that Men are supposed to look at girls, and that is very natural. Well, i completely agree...let them look...
    But who gave them the rights to disturb us emotionally......Did WE??????

I dont say taht all Men are like this, i do have many friends, infact very close friends, they themselves warn me not to talk to few people....

anyway I just wanted to share..my thought..with all of you.

2. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear manasa.
    your question is correct. but it is quite natural. age is the main factor. they get a cheap thril by doing this. girls should not take this to the heart and feel. in that case their goal is achieved. so what you can do this, ignore not out of fear but for the peace. if you do not mistake me, shall i say one thing. not only boys, there are some girls also who all get thrill by teasing boys. i am not saying this to offend anybody. but it is happening. so the best way is to ignore this kind of things.
    with love
    pad.

3. dhivya rangarajan

dhivya rangarajan Bronze IL'ite

Dear Manasa,

To answer ur question first thing, NO. Never in India can a woman walk alone in the middle of the night with jewels on.

Why do men do it? As Padmini pointed out above, its because they are MEN, the opposite sex and so naturallly feel attracted. But, its not the natural attraction / curiosity that you are irritated about. Girls / women, generally like to be admired. But only if its harmless admiration! So, to be clear, why this -
    - harrassing attitude..
    - emotional intrudence..
    - cheap thrills by physical touching / grabbing..

In the society where you and me come from, women were conventionally looked at as property of men. Not that it was the case all along. In the SANGA KAALAM, and the CHOLA period, women were great scholars, king makers and masters in varios feilds. But somewhere along the way when Women were intellectually better than men and men realised it, they couldnt handle it, they supressed it. My study of the Aryan invasion, Dravidion evolution and women status accross various dynasties, gives me this idea.

And till the last few generations, women took it in. Now, they have started recieving educaiton, stepping out of home and taking a chance with trying to ride along with men, the men are not able to cope with their attraction, and at the same time need to overpower. Thats when the attraction emulated insulting behaviour. Its like insulting a person for being attractive. Think abt where the phrases like "she deserves it / she dressed like she invited it" came from?

Secondly, comes this OBJECTIFICATION of women. The term is self-explainaratory. Its the attitude to look at women as objects, and remove emotions from it. When you like a lolly po you just suck it up - without thinking abt how it will feel abt being stripped in public and sucked out. I know - its a gross comparison, but thats how it is. Thats is the attitude also from where, women also get sunk into impressing men, with painful high heels, uncomfortably tight tops and other pains like waxing, which a sane man otherwise would think is crazy.. how else can you explain pouring hot wax into armpits or crotch, stick paper and rip off the hair from the root?! :D

On a lighter vein, ||I think that is the way we shd take it. I used to literally boil at all this ogling, clicking pics, touching, moral policing stuff... Just laugh at them because they are insufferably insecure and have no positive coping mechanism.. The are SCARED of us :)

India is the capital of hypocrisy really - a country where women are the goddess and matha, and also where the capital city records the maximum no. of rapes in a day in the continent!!!

So laugh off, and stay away from that sort of environments..

P.S : Once my frined went through something horrible in a crowded bus. She demended a scooter from her conventional parents to go to college. Than since she ssved a lot of time in that travel, enrolled in a air ticekting class in the spare time! She then found a job in the line and now is in a wow position. Something totally away from the BSc physics her dad pressured her to studied!!!!

There, you have a silver lining!! Thank the opressor cos he just made you stronger!

4. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear manasa,
    I agree it is disturbing to see women being used as chattels. The fb from dhivya and padmini gives all the answers.

It is not only in India, every where we notice rape and robbery are norms of the night.

Just keep away from these elements, as a duty we need to insill good values in our children, make them respect every human being.

Jaya

5. manasa_gs

manasa_gs Senior IL'ite

Hi Divya,
    wat u said was very true. Thanks for the reply. i usually take it very light, but in dont know y, few incidents really irritated me.....and here all my friends are there with whom i can share anythg right...

6. manasa_gs

manasa_gs Senior IL'ite

yeah jaya , that is what even i have been thinking, we need to instill very good values in our children...