1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Will ever daughter-in-law becomes equal to daughter in mother-in-laws view ?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by bhavatarini, Nov 5, 2012.

1. bhavatarini

bhavatarini Silver IL'ite

Will ever daughter-in-law becomes equal to daughter in mother-in-laws view ? Is this possible ? how ? any success stories ?
    I feel a daughter or son caring or doing service to parents is not big deal ... because its their duty .. but a daughter-in-law being born to someone else , leaves everyone behind and does 101 things to make in-laws happy and at the end of the day , MIL says daughter is special , need to treat her extremely well.. etc ..while DIL still slogs at home and office and not even a single good comment on behalf of her? dil is treated with anger , rude comments and complaints ? when will this change ? At work place we are on top of the ladder but at home we are not even treated equal to maids! very frustrating!
    A daughter has so much influence that her visit for few mins can disturb the balance in daughter-in-laws relationship with in-laws and husband. They hold so much power and some SILs misuse this affection and creates disaster!
    There are good sils who are very supportive and use this influence to make dils life beautiful sharing their own experience with their mothers..
    So if at all daughter and daughter-in-law were to be treated equal ... who must take the call is it mother-in-law or daughter ? or is daughter-in-law is to just to suffer in silence! And husband is someone who never understand such sensitive issues .. and wife never complains fearing hurting husband ..
    Can you ever satisfy your sil ? Why does sil always have to tell her mother that dil is not taking good care of her .. why does she talks all sugar sweet talks , mesmerize mil and leave .. and DIL has to bear the results for next few months .. probably years .. and why does it hurt so much ? why do I love my mil so much ? why is that I want to be treated nice too ? when does this pain subside ? and what if sil starts this all over again in her next visit ? whats the solution ? why am I in this situation ? :drowning is there no live happily ever after ?

1 person likes this.

2. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

Sils in my opinion become insecure of their position in the family once the brother gets married. The joint family system only makes things worse. Don't know if and when things will change.

1 person likes this.
  3. MaritalBliss

MaritalBliss Platinum IL'ite

Don't treat mil like mother as they Will never treat u like daughter. Own daughter is of course more close to them since blood is thicker than water. Sils feel insecure and instigate their mils. Mils must have their own mind. Sometimes they can't balance also as their daughter will complain they give dil more importance. My sil is one Such person. It does not bother me anymore as I try to be emotionally distant to them. It's easier since I don't stay with them.

4. Topaz

Topaz Silver IL'ite

It's like asking when and where will two parallel lines meet :)........

2 people like this.
  5. bhavatarini

I live day in day out with my in-laws I like them .. but this SIL episode keeps repeating and have lost hopes!

6. iyerponnu

iyerponnu Gold IL'ite

Sadly for this to happen, it will take years... Two people totally not related to each other living under the same roof (in some cases), will take a while to adjust. Add to this equation, attention of one person on the two of them; insecurities from either side complicate issues. My mom says that for an in-law to fully understand her daughter-in-law will take at least 15 years.. even then, her own blood comes first. Just like how we cant always consider our in-laws our own, they cant too!!!

Mythili

1 person likes this.
  7. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Answer is No. They could love you closer to their daughter, not as much as their daughter. Just like how we could love mom-in-law close to our mom, but can not equate them to Mom.

Thing is, there would always be a glass-line which we can never cross. I can just make a face at my Mom, and throw a tantrum (for fun), and just impulsively hug my mom if I want to... can I ever do that to my Mom-in-law even though i love her so much ? Answer is No, I can not.

So, the answer is No.

2 people like this.
  8. caty45

caty45 Bronze IL'ite

Hi, the answer is No..... You can never ever compare yourself with sil. Also you cannot annoy them as well. But no matter how much you do it will remain the same. I have a dominating co-sister in-law who behaves exactly in the same manner and on top of that my husband too sides with her with rest of my in-laws. The only reply you can give to your sil is that I try to do whatever I can and then vanish yourself completely from the situation!!!!! You need not to do anything for your in-laws because no matter whatsoever you do for them they will always criticize you and their expectations will increase further.
    So DON't DO ANYTHING FOR THEM!!!!!! At least your feelings will not get hurt.

By the way what reply you give them when they criticize you?

1 person likes this.
  9. Tashsin

Tashsin Gold IL'ite

101% true... I feel same..I don't hv any SIL...but as a sister/daughter I feel same..now my both brothers.. are unmarked but whenever we talk about there wedding I feel..that this relation is going to change after his wedding
    Like now we talk daily we chat on Skype.if I say anything to my bros they are ever ready to do any thing for me but after wedding wife will be important to them..
    And as DIL I feel am other can forget all faults done by daughter but when DIL do same she remember her time how she was treated so...the fight begins....haha I feel same...

10. bhavatarini

Caty45 .. I dont reply or react but it hurts .. Sometimes I feel I should write a mail to my SIL ..but well I dont want to. It gets very complicated .. she is an angel to my in-laws what ever she speaks is golden words and any small comment towards her makes my MIL's blood boil .. she comes once in two weeks shows extra extra sympathy without doing any work just sit on the bed chat endlessly , criticise on how myself and my hubby are treating them etc etc and my mil is all upset .. my mil is the one who runs the house finances etc everything is taken care by her , I dont interfere or say anything against their intentions, fearing that it might hurt.. she loves to cook and I try to do as much as possible , and when I am out working , there is a maid to take care of house work ..but still my SIL says we are not taking good care of them. I am very upset!
    It is as though she gives me performance rating every now and then!