1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Why We Get Fat?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Jey, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Jey

Jey Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I have no clue.

So, let's find out.

This is a question that a lot of us want to know the answer too. Many of us have some understanding on this topic based on videos, blog posts, books, friends etc.

I have my half-baked ideas too, but I don't feel like I have a solution that works. Lets pool all our knowledge to figure this out. But this is not a same-old same-old thread that hashes out what you can get by googling something and reading the first few articles. Let's go into science, history and real-world experiences that sustained.

This is a different type of thread in another way too. I am going to just ask questions. I am hoping that asking the right question is half the answer. Please humor me with answers based on what you know.

This is an experiment. Let's see if something good comes out of it.

kkrish likes this.
  2. Jey

The prevailing notion is that we get fat because we eat too much and exercise too little. Let's take the first one.

If over-eating caused us to get fat, why doesn't under-eating solve it?

3. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

Just heard few days back...the stomach size is of same as our fist however that ***** is quite flexible and has ability to expand ( don't remember how much they can but clearly a lot ! )
    never heard/seen anyone eating a potion of same size as our fist...that's why may be!

"If over-eating caused us to get fat, why doesn't under-eating solve it?"

maybe it can but in my case overeating is always greater than under eating. Always. Basically it our stomach fault not ours. Jee haan.

Jey and kkrish like this.
  4. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

Undereating make us to starve and starving leads to overeating....but its not the other way too....

kkrish and Jey like this.
  5. sahityasundar56

sahityasundar56 New IL'ite

We eat more and exercise less.so obviously weight gains

kkrish, Jey and jaivini like this.
  6. Jey

Our stomach expanded and then we started eating more (or) we started eating more and hence it expanded? Both leads to different lines of inquiry. Throughout this inquiry cause and effect is really crucial.

kkrish and ashima10 like this.
  7. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

Some factors which might lead to weight gain maybe...
    1. Poor lifestyle without any exercise( as simple as a walk for 30mins).
    2. Intake of junk food regularly
    3. Over eating leads to weight gain and under eating leads to acidity.
    4. Read somewhere that midnight snacks also leads to quick weight gain, though not sure...

Jey, Sunburst and kkrish like this.
  8. boons

boons Bronze IL'ite

Harmonal imbalance also makes a person lethargic and metabolism is less. So their energy s not fully spent and thereby result in making them fat. More if they overeat and exercise less.

Jey and kkrish like this.
  9. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

I recently read in toi that the so called superfoods which might help someone reduce weight may not work for other because of some genetic reasons. So eating the same food In the same quantity might work for a person but definitely will not work for the other person.
    Also there are other factors like metabolism. Metabolism slows down with age , lifestyle and hormones. So there are people who eat a lot but don't gain weight while some eat little but still gain a lot of weight.
    For some people even the proper lifestyle does not work when it comes to maintaining weight because of their genes. I am sure there is still a lot of scope of research and simply cutting down on food is nit the right answer.

Jey, Sunburst and kkrish like this.
  10. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

Not sure on that but have heard that it takes a while for body to register whether we are full or not. So eating slowly might help us to eat according to stomch size without having it to increase or decrease.

kkrish and Jey like this.