Why The Agnipariksha?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by beautifullife30, Aug 17, 2016.

1. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

Maybe not you but there are others who do that without reasoning, questioning - condemn the epic. I was referring them!

vaidehi71 likes this.
  2. beautifullife30

Well I can explain as much as I want but are you ready to accept the reason?

Note that I am not asking you to support Rama decision just accept that he worked that way and then look into the reason of it. His reasoning was different.

Fact is some reasons are unacceptable to me as well but I just accept them as his way of life and his way of ruling.

Why, his own kids couldn't stand the thought of he sending his wife away. Rama just cared for Dharma and didn't bother much about anybody's acceptance of it.

vaidehi71 and SeekingMind like this.
  3. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

how could you expect all to accept your view or those that the myths say?

it is for each individual to decide and not blindly follow what is said, to the limitations one possesses.

forcing ones view is wrong at the same time opposing - a meaningful dialogue with an open mind is what is required.

so i don't think you should give your reasoning with a clause - not subject to dissection.

this is nothing to question your beliefs, i fully respect your views, but i will definitely differ to that.

4. beautifullife30

You are welcome to differ....

Btw sir, my apologies for not being able to post now on this. Will get back tomorrow. At home now and my kids need my attention at the moment.

vaidehi71 likes this.
  5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

OP,There is nothing wrong in your beliefs,your interpretations or your choice to accept without questioning.
    It is between you and your Lord.
    What is wrong is your expectations from others to do the same.
    Your questioning others right to question is wrong.

As far as I know ,blind faith is not what our religion is about. Our culture may encourage blind faith for various reasons,but our religion does not.There is a difference between the two .

6. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

BL, interesting thread, great debate.
    YM, Enjoyed your perspective
    A culture that doesn't introspect, wont find its's weakness. And slowly the rot will settle in.

The Hindu culture has always supported it. After all, hasnt our mythology always encouraged this?
    Words of great Shaiva poet Nakkeerar, who found an issue in a poem composed by Shiva Mahadeva himself and declared to the mighty Shiva,

"Netrikkannai Thirandhaalum, kutram kutramey"
    - "Even if you were to open your third eye, a mistake remains a mistake"

Yes , we should not focus on only this aspect, nevertheless, should certain wrongs be overlooked for the greater scheme of things?

Every time I have heard of the epic from my elders, they have said " appidi patta ramarey ..."
    " even the great Rama made the mistake"

Imo, the shortcomings of our great men should also be acknowledged just we as the virtues of the "villians". Ravana was no ordinary man, he was a great scholar and warrior.

As a woman, I feel, Sita was treated better by Ravana than by her Rama. After for the years of devotion to her husband, what did she get - spending her married life in exile, her pregnancy in the forest, and bringing up her children without their father, only to hand them over to him and depart. At least Ravana knew the meaning of consent.

If anything, our epics teach us that neither life nor man is black or white - but in a million shades of grey, changing all the time.

7. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

hmm i agree to your point totally instead of viewing things in one side you saw it in whole and molded it into a great thread... and ya if he had treated her for just being his queen then its injustice ... i am not saying that what he did was rt but as you said he is king and all should be treated equally... i dont understand akbhar punished his own family member is that wrong??? no he did what is to be done as he is a king ... when people can accept him why cant rama do that... some say ramayan is an imaginary story i dont know its true or false... i like your perspective really you made it strong that
    " My intention for the above post is NOT targeted at anybody or to hurt anybody's feelings. I just wanted to bring out my point of view of certain things. My humble apologies if anybody is hurt after reading this!"
    i dont think the above sentence was also needed i think you should have included ghengis khan also a great warrior though he had negative feedback he is great warrior.. if he is that bad why he is portrayed as god

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    beautifullife30 and vaidehi71 like this.
  8. Rajkum846

Rajkum846 Platinum IL'ite

Wonderful views @GoogleGlass @yellowmango @SunPa . Reading, Analyzing and recommending should have been the idea behind these epics. Grave injustice was done to the wonderful authors of these epics by making them as religious texts. Luckily the religion does not prohibit the followers from analyzing these epics, though practitioners often get enraged when anyone attempts to do that. Views similar to those expressed in Bhagavat Gita can be found in Plato's "Prince". Methodology of writing - "a dialect between a confused person and the enlightened soul" is also same. While Prince is treated as a book to be read and analyzed, Bhagavat Gita is beyond all that because it is considered to be the word of God and lesser mortals cannot analyze, only accept it.

Thanks @beautifullife30 for the thread. Sorry for digressing from the topic.

Viswamitra and yellowmango like this.
  9. Jas82688

Jas82688 Silver IL'ite

Agni pareeksha did not happen suddenly ther r sequences .. Kaika sent Rama to aranya vasa being good son he followed then Sita followed him being best wife .. Then there she asked for golden deer ( forced Rama he refused initially but later went to bring .) it just tells us don't fall for fault things . Then all of sudden sita heard Rama is on problems she asked laxmana to go n save his brother but he refused bcoz Rama asked him to protect her but she suspected him .. Even then laxmana put laxmana Rekha told her not to cross it .. Sita crossed it and taken by ravana ..its a consequence of crossing laxmana Rekha ..It's all happened for reason .. Rama is not just a husband in that yuga they gave more importance for rajya .. When it comes to rajya n Praja they don't care wife or kids .. But we have to remember Sita is not ordinary lady she born from earth finally asked her Mother Earth to take her ..I see only in molla Ramayana Rama was portrayed in negative way ..it's all acceptable as per that yuga nowadays no Rama no sita nothing is practically possible ..but they showed us a way what happens if one tries to take others wife ( ravana life ) end soon .. What happens if one forces husband to follow her given wowes kaika lost her husband .. What happens if one crosses lines Sita took away n had to gone though somany troubles .in every characters they showed good n bad .. Learn from good don't do bad .. In movies when I found Rama sends Sita to forest my eyes tears .. My 4 cents ..

vaidehi71 likes this.
  10. beautifullife30

Good point....Rama was an obedient son, a good brother. Answer this for me though....why isn't his name brought up when we talk about look how good a son should be, or how good a brother should be.

His name keeps popping up most of the times that I have noticed is when agripariksha and woman's ill-treatment happens.

I chose these topics particularly on the above concept seeing people talk about cleaning up our history and culture without even knowing the entire culture. Tell me, how can you claim to clean up something until you know the entire thing.

If you claim to know the whole picture then your views would be accompanied with an explanation...explaining why he chose to do it and the fact that though he chose it, it is not something that you agree with. Just a simple statement of right and wrong can be given by anybody and it holds no value at all when it comes to making claims.

vaidehi71, Caide and sokanasanah like this.