Why should we not go near God, during periods?

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by sanju, Dec 13, 2007.

1. geevee68

geevee68 Platinum IL'ite

Frankly speaking, i treat period times are times for rest from your daily chores.These are a good way of recuperating & to quell boredom from the routine activities.
    This is a very natural phenomenon occuring in the human body.Hygiene is very important.:rotfl

2. Ushie

Ushie Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    Before 7 yrs while I visited Thirumala(Thirupathi), I had my period when I am leaving the temple after Darshan. This incident still bothers me. I mentally prayed to Perumal to forgive me.(I will never intentionally visit temple or enter pooja room during period). If any of you know whether it would have affected the temple or people came to have darshan of Lord there. (Some people mentioned here that we will have negative energy when we have our period which will affect the positive energy in temples). thank you

3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Thanks geevee for that information on Goddess Chengnanoor Bhagavathi..

Rightly said, why not take the advantage of those three days and enjoy the free time!

But you know what..nowadays even that free time is not available..:-(

Ushie,
    Don't worry friend, you didn't do it intentionally...let go off that feeling of guilt. Perumal will take care of everything..

sriniketan

4. Ushie

Ushie Senior IL'ite

Hi Sriniketan,
    Thanks for you reply. :)

5. poonamjoshi9266

poonamjoshi9266 New IL'ite

Dear All,

Please tell me after how many days we can start going to temples.

Thanks & Regards,

Poonam

6. ssnivedha

ssnivedha New IL'ite

Dear all,

Actually speaking during those three days you are not allowed to go...

Nivedha:rotfl

7. svb

svb New IL'ite

Hi Dear Sanju,

First let me explain you somethings.You will get your answers automatically.

God or the creator gave this world two different sexes, male and female. In female, he created an organ known as uterus (womb) , with a specific function of receiving and naturing a fertilized ovum (egg plus sperm), which would grow in to an infant in nine months. When this function is not carried out, the womb would shed it's inner coat.

1) If this function is not performed and is considered unsacred , and women select to become pure by adapting modern medicines and getting rid of this function - HUMAN RACE WILL VANISH FROM FACE OF THE EARTH.I am sure God has not decided this.

2) Lord Krishna's mother was a normal human being not God (Devaki/ Yashodha). During their periods did they not not feed a small infant who is actually a God and was incapable of having food himself ?
    Same with God Ram.

3) All the Godesses also had kids and surely go to menstruation.The fads associated with seminal fluids are needless to say, illogical.And if they be so polluting, then what of our female Godesses? Do they too POLLUTE our TEMPLES ONCE EVERY MONTH ? Do we treat them like trash ever.

4)Since childhood some concepts have been put into our mind . If we deviate we feel guilty , and fear of wrath of GOD.The same God who created this for expanding and reproducing the human race.

5)Such ludicrous ideas were perpetrated by the male dominated Hindu society to degrade the women and create a complex that the women are inferior to men.The main perpetrators of this crime were none other than the Brahmins, who until the last century used to shut their women in specially constructed houses within their colonies. During this time, these women are not allowed to come out of their houses. Since they wielded enormous influence over the population in ancient times, they forced their beliefs on other communities.

6) If society considers the blood coming out of a female orifice to be impure, what about the blood coming out of a male orifice? When males have piles ( hemorrhoids) they drip blood from their posterior orifice (rectum). In fact I would consider this blood to be more dirtier and offensive than the menstrual blood because it is mixed with the feces.​
    Yet, the males visit their favorite gods while dripping blood on their undergarments. Cancer of the male genitalia is more common among the Asian men. When you have this form of cancer, you drip blood from your anterior orifice (urethra - tube through which urine comes out) . ​
    In India, this type of cancer is more common among a group of people who are closely involved with the temple activities and it's environments. ​
    Yet, this group is allowed inside the sanctum sanctorum of any temple to conduct various rites for the gods while dripping blood from their anterior orifice. Do we consider this ` male blood 'to be impure and polluting'? Where are the demons and spirits when males drip blood from various orifices? How about the men who vomit blood (Hemet emesis)? Are these men forbidden from entering Hindu Temples?​
    Would say that the women are also partly responsible for the persistence of this appalling ignorance. I am personally aware of many highly educated females , who would not step inside a temple during this time. There is nothing to be shamed about menstruation , because it is a normal physiological process.​

7) Menstruation is a normal physiological process. This was created for a specific function in women. Hence, there is nothing wrong or to ashamed when women go through menstruation. It is utter ignorance to consider the women to be impure and polluting during this time. It is ludicrous to believe that gods do not want them to come to their abodes - temples- during such times.Pollution and pureness does not depend on the blood that any person sheds from his or her orifices. It depends on your speech, action and deeds. In Hindu philosophy , the main purpose of the soul is to attain liberation. This primarily depends on the karma that each soul has committed. Liberation of the soul neither depends on the sex of the soul nor on the blood that the - temporary - physical body sheds. It does not matter to God whether you are either ugly or 'impure' physically .God will accept any one as long as their minds and actions are pure. After all it was Lord Shiva who gladly accepted meat from a low caste hunter- Kannapa Nayanar- at Kalahasthi. Lord Ram ate berries from Sabari .I am absolutely convinced that it would not matter to God whether one is menstruating or not.
    Let Hindu women take a firm stand on this issue and give up the ignorance that menstruation is awful. Let us make sure that the men do not dictate terms with the female anatomy and physiology. Let the women of Eelam take the lead on this issue and openly confront this ignorance by going to the temples during this period. Only then the 'Creator' would smile upon them. ​

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  8. arshiya201

arshiya201 New IL'ite

Re: Y Shoulnt We Go Near God During Periods

dear sanju,
    i dont know in hindu relegion why we shld not go to temple when we were in periods.But as per our relegion ISLAM i have a reason to explain u.in ISLAM GOD told us (females) that when we wre in periods just take rest.ALAAH explained in his verses that its a pain its a discomfort its a matter of swinging moods for a female.ALLAH told the mankind to take care of the woman during that time.HE told the man to care for his wife to give extra love during that time.HE told not to seperate their wives with them during that periods.ITS a SIN in ISLAM to seperate females from their rooms during periods.In ISLAM being a muslim one has to offer prayers 5 times.But during periods ALLAH gave us a chance to quit prayers.ALLAH forbiddedn sexual activity during periods.ITS A SIN HAVING SEX IN PERIODS.WHY because allah told the mankind that its a discomfort to the female.BUT allah never tells that its negative r bad thing.
    ALLAH always given equality to the women in ISLAM
    If u have any doubts pls feel free to ask me
    thanks

9. bchandra2008

bchandra2008 Bronze IL'ite

Let us consider one question??

Why all of us go to temples??

The reason is that we feel a calm and peaceful atmosphere there !

How this is created??

By the worship continously for many days according to prescribed rituals in various religions a place with excess of positive vibration is created

The place of worship is emitting a lot of positive energy; you place yourself there and feel at peace with yourself; your family members ; your husband /children/parents whoever goes there should benefit if they go there

My opinion is a women during those three days are considered to emit energy which is probably considered negative; if she goes there she is cancelling the positive energy prevailing there;

Let us say all woman decide to visit the temples during those three days ;
    they will collectively inject so much negative energy such that when their children. , husbands , other family members go there next time they may not experience the same amount of peace

The more scientifically inclined among us may ask for proof for this because the education imparted to us by the westerners as trained our mind that way

The very same science has not invented a measuring device to measure that positive energy in the same way that there is no instrument for many of human emotions like how much happiness somebody feels, how much love , unit of measurement of happiness , love etc

Till that time we have to rely on our experiences and the wisdom of our ancients

MNR likes this.
  10. thisissripriya

thisissripriya New IL'ite

It is nonsense to disallow chanting of the Lord's name or visit temples during periods.
    When Draupadi was being humiliated by Dushasan, she was wearing a single cloth. This is the attire worn by women in those days when they were quarantined during their periods. Well, Draupadi called out to Krishna at this time and he came immediately to rescue her. He didn't say "Sorry lady, you are not pure now. Call me the day after tomorrow.".
    In olden days when sanitary napkins were unknown, the quarantining or seclusion was basically practised for just 2 good reasons:
    a. treat the woman with care and ensure good rest for her
    b. ensure hygiene and cleanliness
    So if the lady with periods feels sufficiently healthy and clean, she can go anywhere she pleases.
    God never said to woman, "Don't come to my temple when you have your periods."
    This rule of staying away from temple during periods was just created for good reasons and twisted and mis-interpreted for the wrong reasons.