Why should we not go near God, during periods?

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by sanju, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Re: Y Shoulnt We Go Near God During Periods

Welcome to the evolved thinking dear lalitha...

Yes change is possible though not at the desired pace. (100 years seems to be just a blink when head on colliding with thousand + years old conspiracy to subjugate and dehumanize a natural life giving phenomenon). Hope for the kids would be that they go into like minded homes....

2. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

Dear Ladies,

I would like to quote words from "Deivathin Kural" by Kanchi Periyavar. I have translated the Tamil words to English. Those who can read Tamil please download the pdf file for the contents.

This was already posted by Chithra Madam sometime ago.

Kanchi Periyava's words -

Quote-

Nobody can explain and bring out the ill-happenings in the temple like me in words. Let me explain on my own. Now a days many tourists, pilgrims, college students, training students visit temples in groups by arranging buses. In those, many of them enter the temples even when they have periods. They do not realize or do not know that this is a great mistake or dosham. In olden days women are isolated from their houses during periods. But now they don't even isolate themselves at-least in entering temples.

Some social reformists can say that "There is no "theetu" or impurity for Gods". But I ask them, "When God is everywhere, who doesn't care for theetu or impurity, you all can very well worship Him at your own place. You needn't come to temples to have His darshan".

When a temple is built and the deity is placed by adopting all sasthrams, vedams and many sacred chantings, one has to follow the same sasthrams or rules that is meant to have His darshan too.

Because of violating these sasthrams, people meet with accidents or disasters when they undergo a pilgrimage. Some people even curse the deity for that by saying "What the Lord has done to His devotees who comes to see Him".

I am deeply hurt by their saying. In this case, the Lord even sheds His basic quality of forgiveness and punish us for our ill-doings. He takes the lives of good people by liberating them and punish we people who are still alive.

By this punishment the Lord showers His grace here on us that we should change ourselves and follow the sasthrams.

I pray the Lord Venkateswara to stop all this ill-happenings and shower His Blessings on us.

Unquote

Attached Files:

3. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

Dear Ladies,

This is just an Info-

Have you ever wondered about the connection between your body's 28 day cycle and the cycle of the moon? Here's the theory. In the days before electricity, women's bodies were influenced by the amount of moonlight we saw. Just as sunlight and moonlight affect plants and animals, our hormones were triggered by levels of moonlight. And, all women cycled together. Today, with artificial light everywhere, day and night, our cycles no longer correspond to the moon.

4. anjusuresh

anjusuresh New IL'ite

Re: Y Shoulnt We Go Near God During Periods

Thanks Aarushi....i just logged in after some days...sorry for the late reply....

5. sangs.srinivas

sangs.srinivas New IL'ite

why a girl in brahmins sit aside in the time of menses

Hi ladies,
    I want to know why a girl in brahmin community been seated or kept untouched for three days in the time of menses. And in the olden days they even kept her in a room not to be seen. Why cant they mix those three days as normal days. Is there any specific reason behind that.

Sangeetha

6. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Re: why a girl in brahmins sit aside in the time of menses

Hi,

I belong to the brahmin community too.

As far as I know, and as my little enquiry goes - she is considered to be impure during these 3-4 days. With so much of science and technology around, we fail to accept this. But, there are someother reasons which I feel may be worth a consideration.

It gives a welcome break to a girl. Thinking of a daughter in law, who works all day in a joint family, people may have come up with this "keeping away" thing. we all know, we feel so exhausted during those days, and this was primarily to keep her away,a nd give some rest to her. This is my logical explanation!!

I have also heard that there is a emission of impure air from her! how far this is true, is questionable.

However, all said, i have never understood the "theetu" funda, and why I shud be without touching things!

7. cheers_sunray

cheers_sunray Senior IL'ite

Re: why a girl in brahmins sit aside in the time of menses

Hi,
    as far as Archan ahas said .Its absolutely correct .The basic idea behind keeping separately for those 3 days s to give rest.
    Medically speaking, In the period of menses,lots of blood loss ll be there.not only that, severe stomach ache and cramps,backache are also few signs experienced by women.
    By staying separately one have good amount of rest.
    Dont take it in the point of religion.But for everyone I would suggest to take reats and on eneeds to avoid even lifting one bucket of water also as this causes severe back pain.......
    Need not follow the rules like not to touch anything etc.In old age they have set this kind of principles as lots of Madi ,Acharam used to be there and by asking to sit separately the main intention was to provide rest.They even doesnt allow to use the bed.But I feel the funda behind this s at that time if v lie on floor it reduces the back pain.....
    Even I belong to the same community but I dont follow staying separately.But I does take rest avoid even cooking also.......

8. kellykim

kellykim New IL'ite

Thanks for bringing up this question Sanju, I'm still not convinced. I dont see any logical reason for this.

I came to know from my aunt that during mensus there are few harmones that are liberated through our skin pores and hence our elders ask us not to touch the pickles/oil etc which wud get spoilt due to these harmones. There seems to be a logic in what she said. I was a bit convinced, but the question abt not going to temple during period is still unanswered.

Waiting for some logical answer.... :)

Cheers,
    Kellykim

9. prsnfd

prsnfd Bronze IL'ite

Hmm,

I think all these religious taboos around the periods time were put in to make sure that the women got plenty rest during those 3-4 days ..... as work back then was very manual (grinding, harvesting etc)

And unless there was a god element induced into the belief, there would be no adherence.......and that's the reason god was made a factor...'dont go near god, when you have ur periods'

10. Bhooma

Bhooma Bronze IL'ite

hI

I totally agree with prsnfd...people being not very educated those days wouldnt have understood the scientific reasons .. so the only way to make them listen was the 'fear of god"!!

The woman was in those days a child bearing machine, she had to do the housework, plus help out in the fields too. the three/four days that she had was the only way she could get some rest .. so it evolved as "saami kutham... theetu ..et al

even now wouldnt you appreciate if during your painful periods somebody were to offer to do the house work for you ? probably the thot was from that view point only !!

Cheers

Bhooma