Why should we not go near God, during periods?

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by sanju, Dec 13, 2007.

1. GeethaMR

GeethaMR Silver IL'ite

Very well said!

This is also true. In Sanatana Hindu Dharma, there are no, absolutely none , not a single definitive text which PROHIBITS women from doing her duties. In fact the universe is a divine manifestation of the divine male and feminine.

By separating the divine from us, we are separating the God from within us and acting like faiths where there is a STRICT separation of the human and th divine elements!

Geetha

2. Swethasri

Swethasri Platinum IL'ite

i really appriciate that many of the ladies are thinking forward which is a good start to change the society and also in our family.

3. Mini1979

Mini1979 New IL'ite

Hi ladies,

I am reading all your comments and I feel very glad that you are taking on this subject so much.
    I had one incidence when I was very young means 1-2 years having my periods I went to my native place and got my period there and it was so frustrating for me that every body telling me dont touch hear don't touch there. I was near to cry. Then my mother told me don't get angry and be cool. These are old people they do like that. And she told me that in villages all ladies are working in fields and do work at home also like cooking, cleaning every thing. So it's a compulsory rest for those women not to do anything.because in those days she need rest, some ladies has painful periods and verious thing and those days we dont have sanitary pads also. So it like some privacy and rest to that women.
    But most of the time main reason of that thought go way very behind and generation to generation some thing different thing was came. That is happens to this also I think.

And concern about this "not go near god", scientific there is no reason. Nothing happens when you do that, but finally it's your belief what you think. If you are not comfortable don't go if you are you can.

Regards,
    Mini

Regards.
    Mini

4. abalu

abalu New IL'ite

hello,
    My grand mother used to explain me that ladies have to take care of all the activities at home from morning work to sending kids to school, husband's work etc. almost like a machine & men don't realise what pain women take in the process. Only if women sit, men are forced to do things they will realise the importance & the pain women take. During these days as women get tired easily & are very uncomfortable physically and mentally....... its the right time for women to give body rest & men share some work. But we modern women by the name of shy & equality, we do lot more work & don't take proper rest & give chance to men at home to do the entire work & responsibility as we women do. I personally feel we must give rest to ourselves & our spouses do the household things atleast 3 days in a month. I don't follow all the olden rules but i make sure to take complete rest for 3 days....... I don't enter the kitchen & puja room. Make sure i take proper physical rest & let my husband do the entire work.

5. Littlerose

Littlerose Silver IL'ite

Dear All,

Well.. nice reading the comments.... Actually, the impurities are in the mind which we need to remove inorder to see the god within..... nothing else... But, why they kept as not to enter the temple is, every vibration has an effect... some are more powerful, be it positive or negative.... the energy through the vibration which they created by chanting regularly will be disturbed by this natural energy... coz, it's all they gathered through chanting, not happened automatically in that place, if it happens naturally, this natural energy can do them nothing..... That's the reason, we are asked not to enter the temple and not to go near during menstruation....

Actually the god is within us, it's uncomparable, the impurities are in our mind due to the karmas held by each of us, have to clear that alone to see the light within, the god within...

So, there is nothing wrong in praying within yourselves at any time, coz, God is Vimalan, meaning, without any malam(impurities). No impurities can do the greatest powerful one anything...

Impurities in heart is to be removed and that is enough for praying within us (Manasa Pooja, which is 1000 fold powerful that praying outside and doing all other external pooja).... when god is inside, why ruining time in arguing with outer world issues? Kindly understand....

The temple is a structure to show all these are inside us and they made it to make us search that inside... but we left that important message, we are going to temple, praying and started thinking it is seperate from us...

Going to temple by us with menstruation but with good heart cant make it impure, but the energy created there through chanting can come down due to this natural menstrual energy.... what we dont know doesnt mean that really doesnt exist and we cant tell that it's just a taboo... For example, if we go near some plants during menstruation, it's growth is visibly affected, it's all just a transfer of certain energies, that's is all.... no pure or impure.....

That's the reason, we are said not to enter temple, that doesnt mean we are impure, we are the most positive energy being feminine, creation is only through us, only if menstruation comes, we mean we are pure, coz, otherwise we are pregnant... This is told by Great Siddhar Sivavaakiyar also in sivavaakiyam....

He had said that the whole creation is in thoomai, menstruation, the maya is the thoomai, without maya, nothing can exist... all seems to exist, that's all... all is because of maya... there is no reality outside, reality is within us, whatever we see outside is just a reflection of what is inside and it done by maya and it is thoomai..... so where is purity when everything is within impurity.... God is itself within that thoomai only inside us, said by Sivavaakiyar, any more explanation needed to say that thinking about god n praying by ladies is wrong?

But, energies matters... understand.... they said scientifically before, but left without explanation that created unnecessary addition as with time n now seems to be a taboo now....

So, be clear that we can pray within ourselves, coz God in true is within each of us and our duty is to find it and be one with it for which we are born...

There are many stages is self realization, from bhakthi, (Sariyai) to Pure knowledge(Gnanam). So, praying inside comes in gnanam, once you do that all else will be known that everything is within us, so arguing for worldly things are in the beginning of the stages..... try to come out of those....

Just keep in mind, everything exist only to show us that it's inside us also... Have a nice day.

Thanks and regards,

S. Sriumadevi Srinivasan.

2 people like this.
  6. Archies123

Archies123 Bronze IL'ite

It's not only puja room, my mom says in yester years ladies were forbidden to enter in the kitchen also. According to my mom this could be ......to give little rest to ladies.

7. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

my mum treats me like dirt when i have my periods. i just started mine yesterday, and she has started again. she will not touch me, if i am passing by, she will move sideways sothat i don't touch her by any chance.

she was not always like this, i think post menopause, women completely lose it, they feel we reproductive women are dirty, and they are some godesses, like they themselves never had their periods.

this time, i got a little pissed by her comments, and hence have decided since yesterday, to not enter the kitchen at all, and let her do all the work on her own, she is not liking it, but can't say anything.

i say, if i am so dirty right now, then obviously my presence in the kitchen is also going to contaminate the stuff in it, not just the temple and deities, after all we offer the food to god first.

i even refused to take the clothes which were washed and fold them, are we not going to wear those clothes when we do puja.

i refused to clean the kitchen counter, i refused to arrange the utensils in the cupboard, i refused to do all my daily chores.

4 people like this.
  8. WorkingWoman

WorkingWoman Gold IL'ite

Re: Y Shoulnt We Go Near God During Periods

Even I have heard this logic and find it convincing. The ladies would do lot of hard work whole day and these days were kind of allocated to them for relaxing. They were labelled as ineligible to do most of the things so that they can take rest. Offcourse some ladies have physical problems during this time so it was a requirement for them.

Probably with time the main purpose of this custom went in background and people added some undersired do's and don'ts to it. Like treating those women like untouchables, giving them just a rug to sleep on floor..etc.

9. Angellic

Angellic IL Hall of Fame

Our ancestors were never wrong, its our misconceptions...

Women who are having their period, can go to the temple or do any other prayers etc.

In the olden days they did not allow the women to go to sacred places (temples) because there was no proper sanitation practice.

This whole thing about Women not allowed to go Temple and all are NOT found in our Vedas.

This practice was something completely man-made and it was something accepted by society at a particular period of time & place, not by force, but BY CHOICE.

It mainly started off as a hygiene practice. Temples were places where many gathered. Temples were used in many ways and NOT ONLY for prayers in those days(unlike today). Temples, basically with sand covering the floor, it was hard to wash away any form of stains etc completely. As such, hygiene was important...

Blood on sand would attract pests and diseases. As such, women, with social responsibility, took the initiative to not go Temples during certain periods of times. Men too were not going Temples when they had any wounds or blood stains on them. Also, woman is also highly susceptible to any infection when she is in her menstruation phase.

Also, during those days ladies would have their bath either in the river, pond or near the well. During the time when the girl would be menstruating, it would be awkward to bathe together with the rest of the ladies as you would probably 'pollute’ the water. So generally they dont bathe, and since the ladies did not bathe and there were no bathroom facilities for the rest of the day during the menstruating period, they would naturally be termed ‘unclean’ during that time. Hence, their being barred from the clean’ places in the house, namely the prayer room or the kitchen.

This is, as far as the physical aspect of being (ashudha) unclean, goes.

However, when the scriptures spoke of ‘ashudha’ they may have not only meant the physical aspect but the mental aspect as well.

Science talks of the menstrual syndrome, i.e., a woman is more irritable during those days because of a hormonal imbalance. Psychics claim that there is a different aura around a menstruating woman, maybe again a chemical reaction. Segregating to pray requires a positive attitude and people tend to respond to the negative vibrations of a person standing with you; maybe that was the reason why a woman was barred from public places of prayer during these days.

Women were not allowed to enter kitchen or cook food when they are in periods,that was bcoz in those days, cooking with its attended tasks of powdering, grinding and serving were all physical exertions, but they helped them have their regular, daily exercises. Apart from these tasks, women in the past used to sweep and mop the house, wash the clothes and dry them out in the hot sun, and with all such tasks also take care of their family comprising their husband and children. Such exertion is totally avoided during the menstruation period, giving the woman complete physical and mental rest...

So it is not an insult to women. The prescriptions are based on their health, body conditions and mental frame during that time as the primary reason....

2 people like this.
  10. Visasri

Visasri Platinum IL'ite

Hi I like to add one more thing with an example.

Temples and any religious place is the storage of positive energy that is why we feel light when we go there. Compare these places to a DVD. The vibration of women is equivalent to a magnet on mensuration days. So, the positive effect is reduced or destroyed, like magnet damages DVD. it is for the greater good. And also women need good care on these days for a better reproductive life. that is the reason those 3 to 4 days they are kept apart form normal life. It is proved that your kitchen is the best way to retain health. Studies prove that rice cooked with good intentions are good and vice versa. Even water in religious places have excellent pros. So, women with mensuration actually may spoil the good effects without knowing.

But god never lets you down because of this. Even in Mahabaratha, Krishna comes to aid of Draupathi when her periods is on.