Why should we act ? – Gita’s answer.

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ansh
    You have raised a very pertinent and interesting question. Before I attempt to answer it, I would like to draw your attention to an advertisement about Rediff Mail is doing the rounds in TV channels. I do not know if you have seen it. It goes like this.
    A young boy watches some thugs indulging in eve teasing in a public place. He confronts them by trying to prevent them from teasing the girl and in the process gets severely beaten. He goes home, writes about this incident and forwards it to all people known to him by Rediffmail. In the next scene, we see a big crowd turning up to bash up this gang of thugs.
    I mention this ad to highlight on what it really means 'to act against injustice'. Acting against injustice is not necessarily getting physically involved. It may not be possible for every one to do that but there is something that every one can do against injustice. A great example in the modern times is the war that Medha Padkar is waging against the powers that be to ensure that the people who get affected by the project gets a fair deal.
    You must have heard of the story of a tiny squirrel helping in the building of the bridge to Lanka in its own way and how the Lord rewarded it. Participation in a good cause or raising against injustice is all subject to one's own limitation. There is some little thing that every one can do about it. This is what is emphasised in the Gita.
    Sri

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear ansh,
    First let me thank Cheeniya for giving you a very practical reply.
    Remember, it is not in us to tolerate injustice against ourselves.Very often, circumstances prevent us from acting the way we want to and fighting tooth & nail aginst the act to get justice.
    But, we must express our strong protest and communicate to those concerned that we do not appreciate what they are doing..
    This is bound to get registered in their mind for their future interaction with us. They must be made to realise that we will not take everything, lying down. But do not go on & on, also.
    I hope we both have been able to help you with our answers.
    Love,
    Chithra.

3. ansh12

ansh12 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chithra Ma'am

My concerens are same as that of Vysan.

How can one forgo incentives, rewards and appreciation for work?

If the sincere act is not appreciated , one doesn't become insincere but there is a loss of enthusiasm

Best Regards
    Ansh

<xml id=yoombaxml></xml>

4. ansh12

ansh12 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya Sir

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have watched the ad and I do like the inspiration one gets from it.

But, I was saying in different context. Context pertaining to marriages or for that matter place of work. Life is not fair always for everyone and at times one has to make compromises. How does GITA address this issue?

I don't remember exactly the words, but Shri Krishna told Arjun that before going on war with Kaurvas try to establish peace, as peace at any cost is always cheaper than wars, but when Kauravs didn't understand the importance of peace and did do justice, Mahabharata took place.

So, should one always stand for ones right?This is not possible in practical life,as it may lead to bitterness, so sometimes one has to put up with a wrong treatment.

Secondly, if there is no motivation, can there be Karma, as pointed out by Veda

Please, help me to understand these things , as my knowledge is superficial and knowledge in GITA is unfathomable, so I tend to get confused

Thanks for your words of enlightenment
    Ansh

5. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ansh
    I do understand the import of your question and its implications. This question vexes every one of us at some stage or other. It becomes even more complicated when it involves our family or our job because the freedom of action gets severely curtailed in these vital areas. When Krishna extols the virtue of Nishkamya Karma, that is performing our duties without getting attached to the fruits thereof, He forsees similar predicament in every one of us.

Let me start with an example. When we perform our allotted duties in our profession on a day to day basis, we experience no difficulties or pressures but when we are asked to appear for a test and interview in connection with a much sought after promotion, we become nervous which in turn affects our performance. It is because of the apprehension and anxiety that the fruit of this action in the form of promotion may elude us. It is a psychologically established fact that when our mind gets weighed down with the thoughts of the fruits of our labour, we find ourselves a bit cramped. That is why we are asked not to place too much emphasis on the results but merely concentrate on our labour. This is a sound advice particularly in the modern age when rewards go more to sycophants and not performers. The vital question here is why should we penalise ourselves more with the self destructing ruminations on some worthless person getting rewarded for our work?

Your question about family situations has also to be understood in this context. But the point to be understood is that in family matters, no one works for a reward. Every task here has to be understood in the context of Nishkamya Karma. No one expects a reward for discharging his duty to his family. If at all, peace of mind is the biggest reward. Having said all this, there is still the problem of our being misunderstood for what we do in the best of our intentions. This is where, Gita assumes the greatest significance!
    Sri

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  6. ansh12

ansh12 Bronze IL'ite

Thank you Cheeniya Sir,

My confusions stand resolved.

The example of appearing in the interview clarified all my doubts.

Thanks again

Best Regards
    Ansh