1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why Only Women Has To Sacrifice Many Things After Marriage?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by divshiri87, Jan 13, 2017.

1. divshiri87

divshiri87 Gold IL'ite

Dear Ilites,
    This is not a vent just sharing my opinion and need some light on this. Here it goes..
    I am happily married for almost 20 months and ours is love cum arranged marriage. I mean we both loved eachother and told our parents. My in-laws didnt accept in the beginning as we both are from different caste and state. Later on they accepted and happily married. I cannot say there are no problems in our life, there are few but we used to solve it and never took anything to heart. He is such a sweet person, understands me well, loves me, care me alot. I am really blessed to have wonderful person in my life. I have neutral opinion on my in-laws. I wont say they are neither bad nor good. I had few sad moments in and after marriage because of them. Now coming to my issue, i have below opinion.
    My grand father died on the day of navami (in navrathri time) so we don't celebrate navami and will celebrate dasami i.e., 10th day of dussera. My Dh's grandfather died near to pongal (don't know the exact date) before 30 years. So my in-laws wont celebrate pongal. I told my DH that i want to celebrate pongal, he got angry on me and said that they never celebrated pongal because his grandfather died in the sametime.I said there is nothing wrong to celebrate any festival. We celebrated Navami and Dasami eventhough my grand father died on the same day before 30 years. He said you are married and now we can celebrate dussera. I said like your grandfather died on pongal time, my grandfather died on dussera time. I asked him "will my relationship with my grandfather change after marriage and won't he be my grandfather?" to which he didnt reply anything. Actually i don't want to stop celebrating festivals and i want my kids ( i dont have now) to understand the importance of festivals. I really don't understand why women after marriage need to follow only Dh side tradition or culture?
    How can i convey these kind of things to my DH in appropriate way?

Few times even my in-laws told me that i need to follow only their tradition and not my parents tradition because i am married to their son. This really hurted me alot. Should a girl need to leave everything (parents and their tradition) after marriage?Even in this centuray, many guys or guy's side parents think that girl should adopt their traditions. Will guy or his parents change their views in near future?

I understand that many threads would have created on similar issue. Just created this to share my opinion.

indrajaram likes this.

2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

This is not fair. I can't even relate such unfairness with my life, although I am married to an Indian, of course different caste. state, religion, country etc..etc...
    Although their perception and what they want in a marriage remains same. That is a girl should follow the culture, custom, etc..etc... of the groom's side after marriage, since she belongs to the groom's family only.
    This is a crap, a crap followed in the name of tradition for many years. This looks as if a girl is like a sack of potatoes; thus the ownership gets transferred from parents' place to in laws' place. As if the girl has no rights or no ownership about her life. This is ridiculous, followed in the name of patriarchy.

Stay in your grounds just as how I stayed in my own ground.
    Forget about yours or his's grandfather's death, which happened a long before even you or your H were born (I assume).
    Unless you have a close emotional tie with the dead person; thus unable to celebrate anything on their death remembrance day, there is nothing like this to avoid a festival.
    Since both of you are religious, and wants to raise your kids religiously by allowing them to celebrate these functions, I think it it great opportunity for both to start the celebration now.

Apply some tricks though. Don't go for a high end celebration when he is not ready for it. Just start with formalities, and religious way. Visit relatives, and make simple sweets at home. As years go by, you may increase the volume of how it needs to be celebrated at full stretch.

Same applies to the other festival, which you have negative feelings about - due to the death of your grand father.
    Let him take the lead and celebrate, while you maintain a low profile due to the fact of grand father's death day.
    But eventually, you may chose to chime in and make it a full fledged event.

But to answer your question in general, that who sacrifices the most after marriage...
    There is no gender specific answers. The one who wants to work this marriage, the one who is dependent, the one who thinks all about the society, kid's well being, future etc..etc... tend to sacrifice the more.
    Many times it is the women, as the women are dependent and worried much about the society. Since kids are tend to be with them primarily, their worry about their future is much more. That's why the society has made it default, and expect every married woman to adjust and sacrifice as a mandatory.
    But there are plenty of men, who are married to stubborn or not so great wives do the same subtly. Since they are afraid of even to speak about the sacrifices they make at home, due to the fear of being judged as less masculine.
    Again, blame the society.

Now a days, since both parties become stronger both personally and socially, the adjustment has become moderate from both ends.
    A marriage needs big amount of adjustments and compromises to make it a success.

NeetaR, sonal1611 and divshiri87 like this.
  3. divshiri87

divshiri87 Gold IL'ite

Thanks sgbv for ur reply..
    I second you for many things which you have posted.
    Not to debate with ur opinion-
    "Now a days, since both parties become stronger both personally and socially, the adjustment has become moderate from both ends. " I am not totally agreeing with this because many a times only women are adjusting and sacrificing and may be i am also one among them. I am doing this only not to disturb peace in our lives.-
    I am totally ok to celebrate any festival irrespective of both grand father's death which happened before 30 years. My point is if we keep on not celebrating festivals because of someone's death, we many end up in not celebrating any festival which is not fair in my opinion.

4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

As I said, the one who doesn't wanna disturb the peace (not the real peace though) in their marriage, for whatever the reason (vulnerability, dependency, social reasons etc) would sacrifice, although they are not in terms with the sacrifices. Chances are high that their sacrifices may never be recognized. So, after certain amount of unrecognized sacrifices, these people tend to blast one day like a volcano.
    Again no gender difference here. In your case, it is you who is worried about the above things. There are many women as you are.
    But it is not limited to women only. Some men too suffer silently as you. Sadly their issues are unreported.

divshiri87 and SRK123 like this.
  5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op....you don't have to do something just because they say so.
    Do you stay with in laws?
    If not....just start small by doing puja and making a festive dish.
    If he objects tell him it has been 30 years and it is time to let the grieving end.Even the dead don't want their families to grieve forever.Ask him if he wants to raise children who remember their greatgrandfather as someone because of whom they can't celebrate pongal like their friends.
    or you could tell him you want to visit your parents during pongal.
    You also should start celebrating the life of your grandfather on navmi instead of grieving.Would you want your children and grand children to stop celebrating festivals after you are gone?

You make the first move. This navmi,you celebrate the life of your grandfather.Pray for him,have a feast and set him free from the long grieving.

As for mil's comments....tell her that if you have a daughter,you will not raise her with the traditions of your marital family because what is the use of doing that...after all she has to undo and restart all over again when she gets married.

6. dsmenon

dsmenon Gold IL'ite

exactly what @yellowmango said.

You don't have to follow everything your in laws family does. Marrying doesnot mean you have to change . If they say something tell her you want to do it this way. or may be just don't have to say anything. just keep doing what you do and ignore any comments.

Fortune1 likes this.
  7. bruised234

bruised234 Gold IL'ite

I think there is something wrong in your tradition. If a person dies, the concerned family mourns for a period of one year and at most they hold a ceremony for a few years. No body stops celebrating a festival their entire life mourning for a family member ( someone they haven't even met) who passed away. It is another matter if it is a personal thing, but traditionally nobody is required to mourn every year.

KashmirFlower and blindpup10 like this.
  8. dnormx01

dnormx01 Gold IL'ite

No it's not so. There are families that stop celebrating a particular festival if any such untoward incident happens during that festival. Like the OP's family.

What is beyond comprehension is the husband's grandfather was gone around this time and not on that day. So why'd they follow it?

OP, I guess change sets in gradually. This time you gave in. Slowly, over the years, with kids and new friends and Changing lifestyle, your husband will also change. How much and how long depends on a lot of things. First few years are always tough. You already have an identity but have to strive to make another. Fit into somebody's expectations with total non accomadating people who keep judging you for everything. I guess this is the biggest compromise and adjustment any girl goes through with marriage.

divshiri87 likes this.
  9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Here's an alternate view:

Even in this century, your family has not celebrated Navami for 30 years. Even in this century, his family has not celebrated Pongal for 30 years. So, you both come from families who practice certain traditions, even though from different states and castes. The idea of the woman following the man's family's traditions goes hand in hand with such traditions, like it or not. In other words, you both come from traditional families. Agreeing to the inter-caste marriage was probably a big change in itself for his family.

The change you want is a good one. Not celebrating a festival due to great-grandfather's death is carrying that tradition too far ( when you have kids). You can start off by celebrating Navami, then slowly observe Pongal on a small symbolic note, slowly adding celebrations to the observing. You still have some years. Children begin to understand the significance of festivals etc. only when they are 4 or 5 years old. There is time enough to bring about the change slowly.

Do it gently, casually, and without making it a "why women have to follow husband's family traditions" issue. You want to celebrate festivals; you don't want to argue about women's rights and force him to agree that traditions are unfair to women. Such agreement never comes without associated unpleasantness. So, celebrate festivals in real life and save the women's equality discussions for here in IL.

anupartha, Amica, radv and 2 others like this.
  10. divshiri87

divshiri87 Gold IL'ite

Thanks all for your replies..
    As you said, even i started celebrating Dussera ( navami and dasami) for last two years. That doesn't mean that i dont have remembrance of my grand pa. So i said to my husband that we will start celebrating pongal this year but not grand celebration.
    @Rihana, "Agreeing to the inter-caste marriage was probably a big change in itself for his family. " Not only in his family, but also in my family (my parents).
    @yellowmango, i have sil. This happened one day which disturbed me alot.
    On one day, something happened in some way then i said @ my parents home we dont do that way. I told her just like that and she immediately told, we wont do as per your parent's way and we will do this way and you also need to follow only our way but not your parents's. She told me in bossy tone.Then i asked her "doesn't your daughter follow your traditions sometimes? Will she follow only her in-laws traditions?".I know that i wont get reply from her.This hurted me alot and i shared to my Dh.I told him that i would have replied to your mom but then i didn't because i don't want to spoil my DH relationship with my in-laws. He said dont take it to heart and do as per your wish.
    Anyways i am not here to debate or fight for women's equality.