1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why not Grandmother's day

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, May 5, 2011.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Everyone talks about Mother's day, why not Grandmother's day. I dont know whether there is a day for celebrating Grandmothers.
    When a mother is so loving and caring , you can imagine how grandmothers will be. Grandchildren will be ready to celebrate Grandmothers day because I think they have a different love for grandmothers. They can make their grandmothers dance to their tunes whereas with mothers they cant do so. Grandmothers tell them also lovely stories and make yummy dishes. When they do anything wrong , they know when mummy shouts grandmother is there to take their side. They learn so many good things from their grandmother and they also teach the grandmothers the modern technology which they have learnt before their grandmother.

In my niece's daughter's school they have grandparents day where only grandparents should attend. Grandparents will be happy to attend.

2. Sweetynila

Sweetynila Silver IL'ite

Nice idea Viji ma.
    We can have grandmother's day. Now a days most of the children are grown up by grandparents only(at least grandparents will support in the growing of their grandchildren).

3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Ofcourse Vijij aunty, there is a grandparents day!! This link will give you info as how it is celebrated in different countries National Grandparents Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ! I hear a lot about the joy of being a grand parent and know personally the love of grand parents. So here is to all grandparents:cheers

4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vijima,

Good question, but there is already a grandmother's day - this year it is on September 11th. You could get more information on it in here. It is celebrated on the first sunday of september. In the U.S. there is an official song for grandparents' day : "A song for grandma and grandpa' and an official grandparents' day flower - the forget-me-not.

You'll find a lot of information on this if you google "grandparents's/grandmothers' day" and also on wikepedia.

Enjoy reading the articles ma.

5. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

I have a question -
    Do we really need a hubby day, wife day, girlfriend-boyfriend day, mothers day, fathers day, sons day, daughters day, cousins day, bro's day, sis' day? :crazy

6. VLR

VLR Silver IL'ite

Spidey

I can speak for one day in the list..

How else will we convince our DH for a gift if not for these special days :crazy

and just so you know if it is a hubby day the DH can gift DW on that day as well...:biglaugh

7. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

LOL Vidya - thats a good idea :)
    I like gifts too :)

But I think its best done on special days for people - like a Bday, Anniv or something that has a special meaning for the people. Rather than a generic God-knows-who-nominated-it-as Mothers day, Fathers day or Valentines day (V-day also known as Gimmick day :) )

Thats my 2 cents on it. I am not totally opposed to Mothers day etc and in fact there have been occasions I have gifted during such times. But I still prefer the special days for individuals rather than these generic God-knows-who-created days.

8. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Mother's day is celebrated for all the Mothers which includes Grand Mother, aunt, neighbor etc, etc.

When it started in US, the Church wanted Mothers to take rest one day. Now it becomes more commercial.

I would like to change Mother's Day to Woman's Day. There are so many women who don' have children of their own, but support nieces and nephews etc. We should give them importance too.

Happy woman's Day!!!!!

CL

9. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Nila dear welcome to my thread and sorry for the late reply. True there are children who grew up by grandparents and both like each other a lot. So they will be ready to celebrate a special day for them.

10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Srama dear I dont know but I feel very happy to see you in my thread. Glad to know there is grandparents day. Thanks for the wishes , feel happy because I am also a grandparent. Iwill go through that link. Thanks/.[