1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why must we be the greatest cooks!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by vmtaurus, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Good thread .. :thumbsup

I remembered an incident when my granny ( dad's mom ) was alive and living with us..
    We were eating something nice and suddenly my granny commented this has too much garam masala " powder " and how during their times they used to grind it manually like all the whole spices together and make curries.. and how tasty her food always used to be ! She smirked at my mom.. I am very pocessive about my parents and so got irked ! Worst thing was , when dad added fuel to fire, loked at me (teasing mom ), saying Yes, Granny cooks well, you know ! That was the last thing I wanted him to say.. I was about 7 years I think..

I looked at granny and said," Maybe I could've believed what you said, if your MIL, my great grand mom said that ! Since you saying.. it must be just a comment. Why dont you start to cook from now on then,
    I asked ! "

My granny was too shocked to answer and looked at my dad ! My mom stood still.. My dad stared at me and said, " Dont talk like that " !!

I curiously asked my dad, " Tommorow if my uncle ( according to me, " my uncle meant " my husband " ! :crazy ) said, that my cooking is not good and his mom cooked better, wont it hurt me ? "

I suppose that was the last day, my dad teased my mom..infront of ANYONE. He realised, his daughter will be married off too someday and he is not setting a good example.. :)

My dad still remebers the incident and tells it sooo often !

So, guess, during our grandparents' generation, the women started to coo quite early because, by the time they grow they will have a sibling to take care.. The moms would just keep giving birth then.. So, responsibilites, sacrifices ( giving up basic education for the brother's sake ) etc came too early for them. So, they learn cooking and by the time they are married, they can easily handle kitchen !

Though it was the same story for our moms, they learnt cooking as well as studied.. and went to work too.. They feel it is a reall tough task since they didnt have domestic help etc and did all the work themselves. They feel, the daughters can take a break and can relax till they were married.
    So, guess, if they encouraged the daughters to do something around and introduce kitchen / cooking, it would be a lott easier for the women to pull off infront of fussy PILs.. One neednt be a master chef, but just to get a hang of what is what, is a good thing to do.

My mom used to not cook during sundays and me and sister used to experiment all stuff. The best part is dad used to encourage his lovely daughters cooking sooo much and used to keep saying " Only my daughters can cook soo well " ! Though it used to suck ! :) But after food.. he used to call each of us and give us personal opinion, and say, maybe the next time you make it add some more salt / spice !

Little encouragement is all that one needs.. :) Everyone masters it in theri own way over time.. :thumbsup

2. vmtaurus

vmtaurus Bronze IL'ite

Great responses and soo many funny incidents!!! :)..Dr.Preethi summed it up so well saying "Everyone masters it in their own way over time"..

:thumbsup

3. luckybychance

luckybychance Senior IL'ite

i agree with shilpa.
    it depends on the person who eats (how much he respects and loves the person who cooked food for him/her)
    As shakesphere said 'beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder'
    what i am trying to say is
    'taste lies in the heart / tongue of person who eats'

bad quote
    sorry guys