Why Lord Krishna didn't marry Radha?

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by rajiravi, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hi Radhi,

I also have not read the original poem. It runs 58 pages and is beyond me. It was set to music by M Jayachandran and first presented in Mohiniyattam by HH. Gopika Varma, Princess of Travancore.

I read that Sugata Kumari has researched deeply into Radha before writing this poem. But where does the spiritual evidence stop, and the poet's imagination take over- that I dont know.

My mom will search for the Jyotisha Ratnam (Guruvayor Special) and I will give exact details on Radha Sannidhi in Guruvayoor. But I know for sure that it is not called Radha Sannidhi. I think the Bhagavathi there is Yogamaya, a sannidhyam of Radha.

Another opinion is that the Yogamaya is Durga Devi embodying Radha's Bhakti. And this Yogamaya was the one who was replaced for Baby Krishna. Kamsa tried to throw Her, and She assumed Her divine form and vanished.

I too am just an interested reader in the concept of Radha. And am just putting what I read, in this forum. But none of this is original.

2. radhikrish

radhikrish Silver IL'ite

Hi Vidya,

I have also read in the book ' Krishna' (by ISKON) that yoga maya or vishnu maya is the female potency of Krishna and is created by Lord Narayana before he takes the Krishna avatar , as the girl child of Yasodha and nandagopar. This child only was taken by vasudeva back to show to Kamsa , replacing Krishna near the sleeping Yasodha. This vishnu maya is nothing but what we call Durga/parvathi etc and that is how, parvathi came to be known as Vishnu's sister. Even in Lalitha sahasranamam, Lalitha is addressed as Padmanabhasodhari(Padmanabha's sister).

However I dont know about any connection of Radha with Vishnu maya. . Like you said I am also fascinated at Radha and why she didnt marry Krishna. In jayadeva's Gita govindam, somewhere she is mentioned as Krishna's aunt by nandagopar , where he calls out to Radha and tells, it is going to rain , you take Krishna to safety by carrying him (child) on your hips .

But again in ashtapathi, by the same poet, he talks in various chapters the incidents leading to the union of Radha-krishna - Krishna enjoying with other gopis, radha's jealousy and possessiveness, krishna coming to meet her, she sending him back due to anger , their separation, radha sending sakhi as messenger to Krishna, finally culminating in their gandharva vivaham , union and ecstacy there of.

Good topic, let more thoughts keep coming

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  3. bars62

bars62 Senior IL'ite

hi ami

that is a really thrilling piece of news. flute also have lot of inner meaning. some say nine dwarams in our body is represented by flute and some say it is chakras .

whatever it is we are all dolls in his play and HE SETS MUSIC for all of us:bowdownand HE IS THE MASTER .

BHARAATHY
    bars62

4. rajiravi

rajiravi Bronze IL'ite

Dear Friends,

Thanks a lot for keeping the thread going.... I read some information about Radha Krishna ( I rightly mentioned here radha's name before krishna.....:))

"There are so many temples of Radha-Krishna temples, especially so in Vrindavan. Everyone calls the various names of the deities beginning with Radha's name, for example, Radha-Govinda, Radha-Ramana etc...

The other queens of Krishna are married to Krishna and they considered themselves as Krishna's servant.

But, Radharani is the real queen since Krishna himself considered her to be his master and he her servant. Therefore, Radha's name always comes first before Krishna's name. Krishna didn't want to give Radharani a mere one among 16, 108 wives position. Radha's position is much more exalted than the numerous queens.

Padma Purana states that Radha is the best among everyone."

When I started this thread, I never expected that so many information about Radha and Krishna will pore in like this.....I really glad to read the interesting info about radha and krishna......

Thanks a lot friends.... Let us keep the thread going....

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  5. drjp

drjp Senior IL'ite

Interesting and informative thread!
    drjp

6. leelagk

leelagk Gold IL'ite

yes very interesting thread.....want to know more abt radha....the explanation of dhara i liked very much....thanks for the info....
    BTB north indians r always chanting name of radha than krishna where as south they r calling krishna...am i rt?any reason?

7. ganaka

ganaka New IL'ite

jai ganesha

amazing!

i feel really blessed to read such on Sri Hari during ram navami.

Thank you

8. shrujal123

shrujal123 New IL'ite

Lord Krishna couldnt marry Radha because they both had to go back to Goo loko. and they had a srap from one Rushi Muni that they will have to live without each other for certain period of time, in order to follow that srap of that Muni Lord Krishna had to take a birth for the 7th time in which he had to marry Rukmani and the other Rani of Lord Krishna

9. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

Hey even I grew up listening that even though Lord Krishna and Radha were in deep love, they were cursed by some rishi muni prior to that birth... and hence couldn't marry... also that it shall always be such that Radha's name shall be prefixed to Krishna's for any temple or mention.

10. rajiravi

rajiravi Bronze IL'ite

Dear shruja & shilpa,

Thanks for stepping in.......thanks for the information.....i never heard about this before.....thanks for sharing....