1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Why Is it so hard to make indian friends here?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by OCdesigirl, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Pranjjal

Pranjjal Gold IL'ite

Did I say National language??? National and official there is a big difference. Sorry to say but don't try to act oversmart. I don't tell anyone to learn Hindi. And its neither my mother tongue.

2. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

Hi girls,

how was y'r day today?
    leaning to one's comfort zone is one thing , trying to accomodate others in our flock is another . While one is showing immaturity, the other is a friendly , human gesture.

When in a foreign land, u want to transcend all these inequalities [ arising out of one's own stage in life, practices, rituals, .......... ] and try to befriend others. That gives u space to grow , accept , understand people. Had this nature been in the past, we wouldn't have got independence at all. Hmmm.... a lot to learn from our forefathers, who showed what humane is !

4 people like this.
  3. OCdesigirl

OCdesigirl Gold IL'ite

lol this is going too far.. who cares what language someone speaks. My friends talk in their mother tongue in front of myself and my husband all the time either learn it or ignore it, its not that big of a deal honestly I like it and I will encourage my kids (when I have some) to learn as many languages as they can.

4. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Well, I used the term in this thread so I assume it is directed to me. First, I did not complain about ABCD. And lets not be naive there is facts to it.

Anyways, about going back to India to have kids? Why? It's their life and I think they should be mature enough to handle it were they were born ;-)

5. Nandshyam

Well I didn't, but if you think so I can't help it.

You implied about south Indians with your generic statements and that's why I replied how I did and I stand by it.

You did mention that your friends spoke neither Hindi or English and why would Hindi come into this picture when its just another language in India?

3 people like this.
  6. OCdesigirl

OCdesigirl Gold IL'ite

It was not directed toward you, many people use this ABCD acronym. I think we should start calling girls born and raised in India who come to US and still try to make friends of only one community IBCD. From now on I will start addressing people based on their birthplace rather than their personality.

1 person likes this.
  7. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

satchitananda, pranjjal and OCGirl - thx for liking this post.

Ocgirl, sorry for digressing. I usually would like to thank those who like my post , but never knew where or how to communicate. Hence, whenever i'm online and my post isn't old, i extend my thx to them.

Have a good day.

Did any body watch Dhanush's 3 movie? who liked it and who hated it to the core? when is the release of the hindi version? OCGirl. .... took y'r permission to digress and to chill........

8. Nandshyam

no they don't. 41% percent do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_India#Linguistic_demographics

Well this is what you said. What's the worth in feeling proud to argue here. If at all I feel proud its that I am arguing for my language :p

This is the generic statement of yours.

No one here said you were forcing your malayali friend to learn hindi. All we asked is you had the same curiosity and liking to learn her language as you had to learn japanese :p

1 person likes this.
  9. Nandshyam

Let me help you with that. There's acronym for that too ;-) IBCA - Indian Born Confused Americans. I guess it explains, yeah? Want to be traditional and still come out as westerns.. LOL...

It's all funny you know. I guess we should just be open. If you see a person with the same wavelength, great, no matter what their background is, the relationship will work.

10. OCdesigirl

OCdesigirl Gold IL'ite

I am just so thankful that my inlaws have an open mind otherwise my life would have been miserable lol. yes of course people should open their minds to other people , if people start doing that now then it will be better for the next generation.