1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why I Hate This Hype Around Women's Day Celebrations??

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Myliltwincesses, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Myliltwincesses

Myliltwincesses Silver IL'ite

Thanks for your detailed reply..I understand that you are so connected to this day..

I wrote this post as I feel that there is some unnecessary hype around this day..It doesn't mean that I don't acknowledge contribution of women in this world..It means that just one day isn't enough for women.

I have seen many celebrate women's day just for sake of it..Next day, they forget whatever they praised about the same woman and start judging her for whatever she does..

I know, it would take time for this society to change..I wrote this post so that we understand what ground reality is..

I plan to tell my daughters' about contribution of women more often and not on a single day.

I believe both men and women are equal and I don't believe in celebrating women's day.

I am happy that you celebrate women's day but I don't for the said reasons above.

Thyagarajan and kkrish like this.
  2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @Mistt .
    I am glad this helped you calm your mind @Mistt .

Mistt likes this.
  3. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

Your reply no doubt puts this entire women's day or for that matter any other day's celebrated with reference to something specific in perspective. But more than that I wanted to say that I have come across and read about many such inspiring women only after looking at their names pop up in your posts - this and many others ( i remember there was a series where you would explain in detail accomplishments of such women.) I appreciate knowing them through you.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2020
    Thyagarajan and kkrish like this.
  4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

@Myliltwincesses
    I get where you are coming from. I agree. It is true.

Unfortunately, that is the case in most/all such events.

People pray in temples and commit atrocities the next day. We cannot say prayer/temples is a hype because of this, can we?

When about 1000 people celebrate woman's day, it may hit only one person and trigger that person to do something about improving the state of women. That one person is who matters.

If we did not observe woman's day, society will lose even that one person.

My organization chooses a STEM day every year to go to the local area schools to demonstrate how interesting science and technology are. The mission behind it is to spark students' interest in STEM. Do we think all children will choose science? No. But we hope a handful will.

Though we do it once a year we hope the spark grows into a flame the rest of the school years.

One day of dedication is to ignite the compassion of some who may be changed for the rest of their lives.

That is what these types of dedicated days are for. There will be a majority who do all this for show. It is the minorities that need to be considered.

I believe in this too. However, many are still not treated that way. Your opening post is testimony that more, a lot more, has to be done to bring awareness to the gender bias and gender exploitation that is still prevalent.

Until we reach that day when all women are treated with respect, and when men believe that we have brains too, this day should be observed to act as a reminder and a reinforcement that women should be treated with equality.

Just a slight variance in the way each of us look at this day.

Thank you @Myliltwincesses for this thread. You gave me a platform to express my views. I may appear to oppose your views but I understand your stance and respect that and you too.

Mine was just from a different perspective.

Hope I live to see the day when your daughters will be great leaders because I know they are blessed with a strong person as mother who will guide them well.

Best wishes

5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @Caughtinbetween
    I am glad my articles helped you get to know about the many women who beat the odds. They were posted in Interesting Shares.

I am grateful for these days because through them I have learnt about many people and their great contributions to society.
    Yes, African-American month, Hispanic month, Asian-Pacific Islander month.. have all taught me about various people and how they changed society. If not for these dedications I would not know anything about those folks who made my world better than what it was when they lived.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  6. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

This!
    Loved this post so much! A thousand likes !

It is we who should turn this day to make a difference, to start a conversation, to reinforce the good we already do. If we can do it more often then great.
    @kkrish, admire your "keep calm and carry on with your ideals " attitude. Something worth emulating.

7. Myliltwincesses

Thanks for your wishes..Though our views may differ, I enjoyed reading your reply..You have expressed your thoughts nicely..

Thyagarajan, kkrish and Induslady like this.
  8. Myliltwincesses

I believe that men and women are equal..
    I too know that gender bias and discrimination still exist in this society.

But I feel, this belief is fully needed for all to fight against this gender difference.
    We have to deal with this every day..It's an ongoing process and not just a one day show.
    I feel it's not like any festival celebration - for a single day.. It's a way of life.
    It's difficult to achieve, but I hope we achieve it soon.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

@SunPa
    True words yours.
    "To start a conversation"... is crucial in solving many problems even before they turn into one.

Thank you for your lovely words.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

I wish that there is a choice...one like is equal to 100 likes. I would have ticked that.
    Thank you KKrish for the wonderful perspective.
    Syamala

Cheeniya, kkrish, Anusha2917 and 2 others like this.