Why Hindu-vadu Kick Potful Of Rice?

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Thyagarajan, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: WHY hindu-VADU KICK POTFUL OF RICE? :hello:

upload_2021-8-10_15-20-43.jpeg

That is ok.
    But then what is the significance of kicking with right leg of the potful of rice inwards at doorstep before the vadu (married girl just a day before) enter home of her PIL?

Only God as Vamana has put His leg on Mahabali and that gave him moksha. In our Tamil culture the groom holds the bride’s foot and moves it during marriage.

Perhaps the bride carries an oil lamp with both hands and can't bring abundance food grains into the home (with a couple of extra hands as the case with goddess Lakshmi), they must have made use of the leg (right toe?) to scatter the food grain?

weird and wild imagination!

Anything done by hand is intentional. It is inadvertent or accidental when the leg trips over an object. By inadvertantly kicking the pot she pushes rice ( symbol of prosperity) into the house.

To signify her entry to house brings prosperity
    never knew this and used to hate the bride kicking the rice 'kalasa' while entering the groom's home, as depicted in Movies.

For the very first time, I understood the significance of kicking the rice (or paddy) vessel by the newly married bride entering the groom's home. I knew that in some traditions that the groom is considered as the 'bhagavan' during the marriage rituals and after the marriage, now I understand that the bride is considered as Lakshmi entering the home of the groom bringing prosperity & light.

It is presumed photo above befits this post.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    messedup likes this.

2. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

I too did that ritual... :blush:

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

The very act must have handed you a delectable thrill that must have haunted you for long!
    God Bless

messedup likes this.