1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why dont guys were a thaali (mangalsutra)??

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by stranger127, Nov 27, 2013.

1. stranger127

stranger127 Silver IL'ite

Hi all elegant ladies,

I know my query is out of norms but still wanted to clarify...

Everywhere there is a disparity betweeen male & female..It does not stop with the society alone, even god has been very partial to females giving her the extreme forms of pain to take forward her generation..:bang

Yesterday was having a healthy argument as to Why is that only a girl wears a thaali (mangalsutra), metti etc to show her marital status whereas a guy has none?? Is there any sensible reason for the same? :idontgetit:

looked into wikipedia & it says Three knots symbolize three different aspects of a married woman - the first knot represents her obedience to her husband, the second to his parents and the third represents her respect for God. Some how not convinced :notthatway:
    Shouldnt a guy too have a three knot mangalsutra then so that he respects her, her parents & god too??
    ideasmileythinkingsmiley

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
    11 people like this.

2. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

Yes they should have some symbol to show that they are committed to someone else...

6 people like this.
  3. adinil

adinil Silver IL'ite

very well said

4. WorkingWoman

WorkingWoman Gold IL'ite

They can wear at least 2 knots for parents and god :) They would definitely not like to wear the 3rd one laugh1smiley and family will also not allow that.

I have several such things in my mind... need time to pen down waitingsmiley

6 people like this.
  5. stranger127

Ya generic..We do exchange engagement rings with our name's first alphabet inscribed in it..But I think thats not enough..:)

6. stranger127

WHYYYYYY?? To love his wife he should first respect her else why marry?? If he cant respect her first how ll he ever respect her family?

7. Visu2k

Visu2k Gold IL'ite

I wear my engagement ring always, is it good enough?

3 people like this.
  8. Visu2k

Visu2k Gold IL'ite

The best thing a man can wear is being honest about his commitment to someone else. Same goes with women. For that matter, even a mangalsutra is worn mostly hidden by most married women.

1 person likes this.
  9. Bavishya

Bavishya Platinum IL'ite

Very well said dear

10. jeera2013

jeera2013 Silver IL'ite

DH and I wear rings with our names engraved in it. That symbol is enough to say that he is committed

My mother used to say that wearing metti has lot of reasons. It seems that there is a accupoint in the place where you wear the metti. That point when activated prevents any miscarriage during pregnancy. That's why newly weds are asked to wear metti. I dint do any research to know whether it is true. As I found it very fashionable, I like wearing it.

Regarding mangalsutra, nowadays many women have switched to the chain type thaali. Most of the young women dont wear the knot type thaali which you have mentioned.
    There are lots of accessories accompanying the main thaali (south indian type). As I'm financially dependant on my husband now, I find wearing even those accessories very useful. In case I'm in any financial crisis where I have to manage alone, I can sell one of those unnecessary accessory and save myself.

4 people like this.