1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

why does one get obese upon aging ?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by indianguy2010, Nov 23, 2010.

1. indianguy2010

indianguy2010 IL Hall of Fame

Hi friends,

I wanted to start a discussion here, which is intriguing many members' minds........why does one get obese as age increases ? It sounds as if we ate only one cup of rice ten years back, now also we eat the same amount, then why the hell, this body goes on increasing in weight ?

Let us have a discussion on this context. First , I would like to hear your ideas. Then, I will discuss, the technical rationale behind this phenomenon and the ways of dealing with it, later. The phenomenon does not apply to Radha and Sulakshana only, it applies to all. Probably, if Radha and Sulakshana were aware of the biology behind this phenomenon, they would not have become obese. Now let us forget them and start talking about ourselves. Right ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010

2. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Let take this oppurtunity to reply first here...

in just one simple statement , you put on weight because of slowing metabolism associated with health issues.

3. indianguy2010

Thanks for dropping in , Puni.

You are partly right. It is due to slowing metabolism. We will discuss more about it in detail, later. Got to go now. Soon, I will be back again.

4. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

My opinion:

• Probably , our body parts also age.
    • Also , as we age we tend to restrict our physical activities and mobility.
    • Digestion process becomes slow.

5. kirti251

kirti251 Senior IL'ite

May be you more active before (before 10 years ago),Now you become lazy like me.
    Before u don't have any responsibility & live freely so u can take care about your diet & u can spend sufficient time for your workout.
    Metabolism also.When we live lazy life (not exerciesing) our metabolism going down day by day.
    Balanced diet & exerciese is the key for keep metabolism up.
    I believe in Ramdev Baba's pranayam also.It regulate all our problems.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

IG,
    you have left out nalini from the examples

My take.

metalbolism slows as we age.

our dietary restrictions are poor..all the control that we did have goes off the window in some cases.. (like nalini said in an interview, she was forced to starve so much by her mom, and when ramarajan proposed to her, she asked if he will give her full means..)

Genetics too play a role.

Priorities change..as we grow old, our priorities, to make a better living standard, earning more shifts the perpective of looking good or being healthy to the bottom of the table..add to it the stress. we never learn to stop and take a check..(it took me a long time to realise and take that check)

in case of few ladies, after marriage and kids, some of them believe it is not necessary to look good..(I find that view point changing in my generation..i am nearing 40.)

A lot to do with our attitude is my pov..

7. indianguy2010

It seems, all of you , who have dropped in know the concept of metabolism getting slow with advancing age.

That is right. In a simple way, Basal Metabolic Rate (B.M.R) means, the average calories , the body burns, per day , WHILE AT REST.

This slow, continuous and sustained release of energy (burning of calories) in this RESTING STATE, is sufficient only for the functioning of the vital organs only.

This B.M.R becomes slow as our age advances. Suppose, there is an individual, of age 20. Let us imagine, for his / her B.M.R, she burns 1800 kcal / day, in resting state. It will be 1500/day, when she reaches 30 and it will be 1200/day when she reaches 40. (men and women have slightly different B.M.Rs, but, for simplicity sake, I am not going into those minor details)

That means, the expenditure of energy in resting state goes on getting redced considerably, as explained above, with advancing age. But, our food intake remains the same. We ate four chapatis when we were 20. we ate four chapatis when we were 30. And , now , at 40, we are eating the same. The catch point is...........the appetite , in most , remains the same. If appetite goes on getting less with advancing age, then, the phenomenon of age related weight gain would not occur. But appetite remains the same. Hence, food intake also remains the same.

On one hand, the body expenditure of calories at resting state, goes on getting lesser and lesser , with advancing age. On the other hand, our food intake remains the same. So, naturally, the extra calories of food , starts getting deposited in our body, mainly in the form of fat.

Do I make sense, till now, friends ? Let us talk about the solution, a little later.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  8. indianguy2010

Hi Shanvy,

Yes, you are very much right. I left out Nalini. The serials she appears now, have to be made in 70 mm, to accomodate her, it seems.......! :rotfl

Your answer shows your perfect understanding. All the four points you mentioned are right. They do play a role in age related weight gain.

But, let us restrict, our discussion in this thread, to the issue of.......... how to address the issue of age ralated fall of B.M.R only.

Let us talk more soon.

9. indianguy2010

yes, Bhuvnidhi,

Reduction of overall physical activities with advancing age is also a contributing factor.