Why do we light a lamp ?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Aug 16, 2006.

1. BhargaviChakravarthy

BhargaviChakravarthy Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for explaining the significance of lighting a lamp.As lamps indicate brightness it symbolises to drive away fears,ignorance .It indicates positiveness.More over when speaking or diccussing abt important things in life,we switch on the light (day time) to generate positive waves.Just lamps moves out darkness let the same destroys the darkness in our life.

Regards
    BC

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear BC,
    Thanks for joining us here. You have understood the concept right - the FB says it all!
    Thankyou.
    Love,
    Chithra.

3. UshaV

UshaV New IL'ite

Dear Chithra m'am,

I have been going through your articles in religion and spirituality forum all along. It is like atchaya pathiram, the more we take the more we keep getting from it. I take this opportunity to convey my heartfelt thanks for enlightening us on such valuable topics.

I feel, getting to know about good things is itself a "praptam". Registering with IL and more so all your postings has given me that praptam though late than never and also has proved a point to me that "kodukara deivam kooraiya pichundu kodukum".

Kudos to your selfless service of imparting knowledge!!

Regards,
    Usha

4. Chitvish

Dear UshaV,
    Thankyou for the lovely post.
    I dedicate this tribute & praise completely to IL - who would know me, but for IL ?
    IL is the plan of the Universe, to unite us all in a web for the benefit of eachother.
    The best is yet to be.
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. pavithrasriram

pavithrasriram Bronze IL'ite

hi chithu,
    i know this must be a late feedback on this write up for you.but remember i said i am going to look into all your previous threads!!!!
    well what a great explination you have given,its very nice to know about the meaning about the little things we do in life daily....you have decorated the lamps so well with flowers. it looks like uruli,flowers and lamps are something you like and form a part of your gifts also!!!!
    regards
    pavi

6. Chitvish

Dear Pavi,
    Thankyou very much.
    I am a great lover of our old tradition - so uruli is my most favourite!
    Not that I don't like crystalware!:hide:
    I love them too! :)
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. prb16

prb16 New IL'ite

What a wonderful writeup Dear Chithra. Lighting the lamp is something we do every day - yet your significance makes the process even more beautiful! The closing wisdom of Chinmayanandha and the wisdom of Chithra makes it a wonderful write. Will surely read the others - one at a time.

Regards,
    Priya

8. Chitvish

Dear Priya,
    It is very nice to receive a FB to a post, made almost 2 yrs ago!!
    Please read all the culture posts, ofcourse, one at a time so that you can chew & digest the beauty of our tradition.
    Thanks for the appreciative words.
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. VLR

VLR Silver IL'ite

Chitra mam
    Wonderful post.
    While coming to US, I never brought any lamps from India. Just brought some photos of God. I had wanted to purchase a lamp for a long time and finally I bought a pair of electric lamps as I was able to get hold of only that here. So something was better than nothing :-(

When I was with my parents my mom would ask me to light the lamp on some days. In my in-laws place its my mil who always lights the lamp. I used to love the way the cotton wicks burn and the electric lamps dont come any where near to those. They give so much peace and calmness to your mind..

I will remember your post whenever I switch on my electric lamp :)
    And btw, the floating lamps look awesome.I should definitely get those when I visit India next time.

Thanks !

10. Chitvish

Dear VLR,
    Thanks.When you write

I used to love the way the cotton wicks burn and the electric lamps dont come any where near to those. They give so much peace and calmness to your mind..

I wonder why you did not take any with you when leaving India??:idea
    I love lighting lamps & keep 2 in the foyer in the evenings as well!
    Love,
    Chithra.