Why do we light a lamp ?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Very pretty

Dear Chitra,

I am so touched! Thanks for making the extra effort and posting the wonderful pic of the Jaladeepams for me:) The decoration by The Jalajakshi has added to its beauty manifold!

L, Kamla

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hello Priya!

I am glad you liked it. The same is kept so beautifully & decoratively in Shukra Jewellery that one cannot be, but tempted to buy !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

3. Chitvish

My dear Anjana !

Thankyou for post.
    Need I tell you that you just have to land in Chennai, get in touch with me & we can go shopping enjoyably for all these knick-knacks ? Would just love to.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

4. Chitvish

My dear Kamla !

Thanks for the appreciation. You are indulging in poetry! It was I who decorated it & not any Jalajakshi - ha ha ha !!
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

5. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithra,
    Very good kani for me today. I opened IL and came to this post and what a beautiful sight! The Jaladeepams look very divine and bring a peace to the mind. You are an inspiration to us all to do such nice things everyday. I get lazy sometimes, but when I see the effort you are taking to do such things, keeps me going. I hope I would ctach that habit from you. Thank you Chithra.
    Another qery, is it available in any other metal than silver? If yes, where is it avilable? Suggest some shops for deepam shopping. Mine is somewhat trouble some and I would also like to get different models in brass and silver also. And they are wonderful gift ideas, with Navrathri around.
    With warm wishes,
    varloo

6. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithra,
    the jaladeepams are brightening my desktop also.
    With warm wishes,
    varloo

7. Chitvish

You are so sweet in your words, Varloo!

Thankyou very much. I have put it on the desktop of my computer so that I can feel nice every time, I see it!
    As far as I know, jaladeepam is not available in brass. I buy all my lamps in Mylapore - Indira, Vijaya, Shukra etc. If you PM me your estimate, I can do window shopping for you & inform you. Then all that you have to do is, to come home & we can do the enjoyable lamp-shopping !
    Please go to
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15274&postcount=82
    You can see 2 small copper lamps by the side of the main silver lamp. A pair costs Rs. 50. That is one of my standard gifts. Now that Pitambari is available, maintaining them is so easy. It looks like a rose flower in which deepam is lit. If you want, I can post a photo. I love them !
    Just now got your mail about the desktop. Don't you feel divine on seeing it ?
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

1 person likes this.
  8. Chitvish

Varloo, this is it!

The lamps cost Rs 50, a pair & are very good for everyday use.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  9. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

dear Chithra,
    truly divine. I do not like kanna pinna on the desktop, only nice pictures. So the jaladeepam is a real nice picture. I hope my hubby would be pleasantly surprised when opens the computer in the evening.
    The small deepams are also very cute. I sure want to buy some. As you know, I shall be having the grahapravesam of the new flat and I could present these also. I like to give things, useful things. You select some nice, different ones and let me know, your selection will be good. When the need comes, I shall come over and we can shop. There is no hurry, you can take your own time. (You must be rubbing your palms in glee on hearing the word shopping, am I right? I too love to shop.)
    With warm wishes,
    varloo

10. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

ready to shop for lamps

Dear Chitra,

Such beautiful pictures of the lamps - thank you soooo very much for posting them. I too would like to grab some good ideas from you when I buy things for my puja room. the copper ones look beautiful. why not have copper & silver lamps floating together - there'll be two shades of color & might look good tooo.

Vandhana, thanks for the Blore address. will check it out sooon.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006