Why do we light a lamp ?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

My dear Varloo !

Even in T N temples, eg: our Meenakshi Amman temple, only oil lamps are lit inside the sanctum sanctorium. Only that gives a nice devotinal mood, I feel.
    Thankyou for your enquiries about Chitru. I do hope that surgery gave you complete relief. That is what I want for Chitru - poor girl, has suffered a lot because of sinus.
    Thankyou for your post.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

2. Priya Amarnath

Priya Amarnath Bronze IL'ite

Silver floating lamps

Dear Chithra

Nice to know that your dil is recovering from her surgery. Good to hear that we get nice floating lamps in Chennai. Pl do post the photo at ur leisure.

Love and Regards
    Priya

3. Chitvish

Done, My dear Priye !

Jala deepam is my daily routine & hence I did not have to wait !
    Thankyou for your enquiries about Chitru.
    Love & regads,
    chithra.

Attached Files:

4. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Dear Chitra ma'am
    Great to hear that your DIL is doing fine now.Thanka a lot for your clarification and PM as well.
    The photo looks amazing... Where are these (shops) floating lamps available in Chennai?Any specific term to be used to enquire about them?

Thanks in Advance

regards
    Sowmya

5. Chitvish

hello Sowmya !

I am glad you liked the photo.
    These jala deepams - I bought in Shukra. I am sure they are available in silverware shops in T . Nagar as well.
    There are 3sizes - mine is the middle size. In the mornings, I keep with flowers & in the evening, plain, in water.
    Chitru conveys her thanks to everyone of you.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

6. Priya Amarnath

Priya Amarnath Bronze IL'ite

Amazing

Dear Chithra

The Jala Deepam photos looks GREAT. U have nicely decorated it with pink and white flowers. The Deepam decorated with flowers floating in water in a visual treat for us. I apologise for my delay in replying since I checked the photograph only today.

Thanking u
    Love and Regards
    Priya

7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the light:)

Dear Chitra,

My appreciation of your posting on Lighting Lamps is overdue. With so many things happening at the same time, I got distracted. Once again, a lovely article and explanation by you. All the time, I had to think of you as the Deepam who is brightening all our minds and hearts with the glow of knowledge and tolerance:)
    The pics of the Deepams were beautiful. I liked the brass one a lot. The floating lamps are not clear to see. Do you also get the floating candles in India? They make a very beautiful and attractive centre peice on a table, esp during the winter months here.

L, Kamla

8. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

All your lamps are visual treats

Dear Mrs C,
    That was a very beautiful explanation with slokams. You have compared it very well with knowledge and ignorance. You have summed it up very well with Swamiji's verses. I think lighting lamps and drawing kolams are two unique features in Hindu culture apart from other things. Hope you dil in doing fine.
    Can't wait for next week.
    Love,

9. Chitvish

My dear Kamla !

Thankyou for the F B .
    The first lamp was also silver, not brass. I shall post another photo with 4 jala deepams which can be clearly seen.
    Yes, floating candles are available here. But our jala deepams give a typical Indian touch.
    Please, my dear frend, go slow in appreciating me - I am blushing, can you see ?
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

10. Chitvish

Hello, dear Anjana !

I cannot help appreciating your getting back to sending me F B s in both my columns, as soon as you return from holiday! Any amount of thanks is not enough.
    There are many more unique features of our culture besides kolam & deepam, which will appear every week.
    I only hope you all have the patience to continue with me!
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

1 person likes this.