1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why do we fear death?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sriniketan, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Dear friends,

This question came to my mind recently--- don't think this of a philosophical type.
    These are thoughts, went through my mind while analysing this question.

1. Do we really fear death or is it of an instinct in us?
    2. We fear because, maybe, we do not want to lose the way we enjoy(?) this life.
    3. When we don't know what lies ahead, why fear---it may be an 'upgraded' life than the present one!
    4. Or we don't accept any change quickly or accept that with a suspicion.
    5. Is it because of the thought that Lord Yama will be there with a rope and riding a buffalo and come to catch us.
    6. Or we are afraid to face the penalty afterwards--i.e., on the Judgement Day.

sriniketan

2. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

There are three reasons for fearing death according to me... The first reason is because most of us live for tomorrow and do not enjoy the life of today. We keep many things for tomorrow. And when we know there will be no tomorrow and it is going to be now and forever (death), the fear mounts rapidly as we have not lived life to the fullest.

The second reason, is the fear of going towards that journey all alone. From the time we are born we are used to warmth, love affection and above all presence of somebody in our life, it starts from mother, father, then brothers, sisters, neighbours, friends, lover, husband, our own children as age progresses we turn towards God asking for his company during that fearful journey. The selfish reason for reaching God in old age is the belief that he is going to punish us and we are all desperately seeking his forgiveness and his companionship towards that lonely journey. The fear of being along and away from all our dear ones towards a different path of which nobody has returned and told us about it.

The third reason is the judgement of all the sins in the books of God. As human we are all bound to commit a sin in our life (the least) and the punishment stated in books are fearful. We have to face the consequences all alone.

If we live life to the fullest, pray to god everyday, ask for forgiveness every day, and enjoy life, we will be ready to discard the body and get in to a new one hopefully a better life (as you say)...

These are my opinion, could vary from person to person.

3. Sriniketan

Thanks Mals for your FB.
    I accept what you have written and also second your last para.
    If we follow in those lines, sure we will not fear death.

sriniketan

4. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

I feel most of us fear death because they do not want to go this alone.Second thing is that they like the materialistic things on earth and have become attached to it and they hate losing it.

5. kanaka

kanaka Bronze IL'ite

Looks like some get such phobias.
    Yesterday Shri Srinivasan(Mal.film actor) was one of the judges for the 'Super star Global of Amrita TV.
    Narrated a very funny incident.
    Seems his mother had the habit of opening the obituary page as soon as she starts reading the paper. She would get immersed in those photographs. After watching this for sometime Srini(Humorous for ever) made these comments.''Amma it is not enough you watching somebody else's photograph. Yuo should make some attempts and help us to see you there. Knowing the son well she burst out laughing for 20minutes.This ended her regular 'visits to the obituary column'. kanaka

6. kanaka

kanaka Bronze IL'ite

One of the greatest mysteries man will never solve. The day discovers the reason he will find a way to escape.
    I remember a story told by a lady whom we addressed as"Valiamma".
    It seems God gave man the boon of immortality. The earth was full of old ladies and men in the age group of 100-150. Some had gone blind. Some turned deah. Someothers had become dwarf with the ageing process.
    Earth had become 'A place for senior citizens'. There were no young generation to defend the country nor to protect the age old.
    They decided to propiate the Lord of Death, to relieve themeselves of the misery.
    This was to tell us how important 'Death" is! A thing which grows will decay and decay it must for further growth.

I was surprised to hear yesterday from Mamooty that Karna lived up to the age of 150! Appears he fought the Mahabharata war at the age of 150. kanaka

7. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

hi sriniketan,

at times we hear from people saying,"i have completed all my duties and have lived up to my satisfaction, so i do not worry about my death. even if it happens at this moment i welcome it."

what do we understand from this saying? once we are relieved from our duties and desires, we are ready to accept death. this is one strategy.

on the other side, we see few people suicide themselves out of depression, failures etc. in this case, the people desires or possibility to live fades out as they face problems.

so, in both the cases, the desire and satisfaction are the two major factors for anyone to face death.

if you take myself, i really fear death at present, since i have my duties to perform. i have to settle certain issues. have desires too.

generally and finally everybody aspire for a peaceful death which is again an eternal desire and therefore we continue to fear death.

only great saints who have left desires do not fear of death. moreover they know their date, place and time of death.

8. Sriniketan

It is true Kanaka Raghavan, that attachment to materialistic things and 'going' alone make us fear death.

sriniketan

9. Sriniketan

Funny indeed Kanaka, about the conversation of the Malayalam actor with his mom.

It is true that we don't appreciate the value of a thing until it is exhausted or it is scarce.

As Yugas passed, the life expectancy for the humans decreased, which they now say it as 120 !

sriniketan

10. Sriniketan

Hi Vidya,
    I like the word 'acquired fear' in this context.
    Thought of leaving behind the loved ones, truly is fearsome.
    But the world moves on, in spite of our disappearance, eventhough memories doesn't fade away for the loved ones.
    truly said, faith in God comes into existence at this point.

sriniketan