Why do we do Namaskaram to God and elders ?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Sep 7, 2006.

1. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

very neat and informative

:clap Dear chith,
    I read and re- read your post and in spite of explaining a simple act it was very compact and informative.the reason you gave why the ladies should do only panchaanga namaskaram is new to me. Also it is elevating the status of the hindu women.WHY should we talk of equality for women when we are by creation the better halves of a home.Kudos to you. I feel very happy. I have a small doubt.If you are forced to do namaskaram to a person against your wish how do we handle it. I sometimes get very irritated of course i dont show it.
    Regards,

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

It is quite simple, Meenu !

When you have to do namaskaram to a person against your wishes, forget that it is to the individual. Remember you are doing to the Divine power or Lord residing in every Jiva or individual. Then you will feel happy in your mind.
    When I post the significance of " Namasthe", you will appreciate this better.
    Thanks for the beautiful F b . The significance of Panchanga namaskara was explained to me by my vedanta teacher.
    Love & regards,
    Chith.

3. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

true enlightenment....

Dear Chitra,

Everytime I read your post in this thread, it brings so much joy cause, every week I get to learn something about our culture & unfortunately, its all new to me. better late than never. the different namaskarams & why we women do it differently - look at me, I never even realised it till I read your post. Yes, we do do it differently and the explanation was enlightening. till now, namaskarams were just a casual act for me but from now on, my Namaskarams will have the depth and meaning.
    thank you sooooooooooooooooo much for sharing such an enlightening post.

Love & regards,

4. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear chitra,
    Am glad i logged on today to read ur weekly posting......very nice explanation on an act which is slowly getting extinct. Forget about namaskarams, and surrendering egos or getting blessings from elders.....nowadays the youngsters hardly are aware of such things , nor are they made aware of their significance......very timely writeup!
    I hope we can start inculcating this in our everyday lives as part of our culture!
    Keep it up....looking fwd to ur next week posting!
    ( still recoverng from my sickness, should i call HOME sickness!:tongue )

5. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

My Namaskarams to you.

Dear Ms C,

A very beautiful explanation on namskarams. I have heard that doing the panchanga namaskarams also helps strengthen the pelvic region and make it more flexible for the women. I think our forefathers were indeed people of very superior intelligence.
    Thanks for a beautiful explanation.

Vandhana

6. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

very interesting article

Very informative, Chithra. You know, In malayalam we call our five times of prayers as namaskaram..It is complete surrender to God , mentally and physically and I do not feel any hatred against anyone who has done harm to me..
    thank you,

7. Chitvish

My dear Meena !

Just a suggestion because you like to learn !
    Start the day in the morning with a namaskaram in the puja room & end the day the same way. When I leave Madurai after a stay, I do namaskaram to my mother & then only leave.
    In our families at 5.30 PM , my mother, MIL will all start saying " Vilakku aethi namaskaam pannu". This is a mandatory routine.
    Do namaskaram meaningfully. You will feel light both in body & mind !
    Thanks for the F B .
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

8. Chitvish

My dear Sudha,....

you are not only home sick, were you I L sick also ???? Anyway it is great to have you back !!
    You are right, the youngsters should be asked to do namaskarams regularly.
    I like very much the way Vaishnavites do the same 4 times. It looks very graceful & nice.
    Next week is likely to be a cedanta posting - have'nt decided, still.
    Continue with me, Sudha.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

9. Chitvish

My asirvathams to you, Vandhana !

Yes, you are right. Namaskarams make us very flexible around the pelvic region. The way panchanga namaskaram is done, I feel, makes a woman look very graceful !
    Thanks for your F B.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

10. Chitvish

Welcome back, my dear Seena to this forum !

I thought you call it namaz ! When we pass through masjids, watching people do namaz is so nice to see & I like the qoran which is played then !
    Please stay tuned, my friend!
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.