Why do we celebrate Deepavali ?

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Chitvish, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

I was content:)

Dear Chitra,

Followed your puja instructions, followed your recipe instructions, remembered your words on kolam....all in all, we had a lovely Deepawali, thanks to you. I was content! I am sure your pandigai was highly lustrous, what with all your IL gang thinking of you and enjoying all the bakshanams made as per your guidance and lighting the lamps as per your instructions.

L, Kamla

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Welcome back after Deepavali break, Sujata !

I am glad you had a lovely pandigai, with bakshanams, puja etc, besides a lovely Miru Papa, to share your joy.
    More than our own individual families, this year, I had the additional pleasure of my I L " vasudaeva kutumbam" ! It was a real pleasure to be wished on P M s by many I L ites !
    My "personal horizon" has grown so much & I thank God profusely, for the same, Sujata !
    Thankyou for the F B .
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

3. neelakrishna

neelakrishna New IL'ite

Ganga Snaanam

http://www.ramanuja.org/sv/bhakti/archives/nov96/0046.html

http://www.boloji.com/culture/014.htm

Tips from sages on oil bath:-

Bharadvaja says :- Oil bath should be taken on the tithi and the days prescribed. Then it gives strength and health. Children, the sick people, and elders should take oil-bath and regular bath in warm water, at a convenient time. They are exempted from the rules.

Deepavali Bath

In the dark fortnight of Ashwina month, on the fourteenth day, early in the morning, oil should be applied on the body and bath taken in warm water. This is Deepavali bath.

When ashwaja krishna chadurthasi [Narakachaturthi day] falls on a Sunday when the star Swathi is ruling, scented oilbath should be taken early in the morning by those who wish for prosperity. Take bath in warm water. On Deepvali day, Lakshmi lives in oil and Ganga lives in warm water. This bath removes bad luck. After the bath, wear new dress and jewels.

The rationale for oil bath:-

Usually thaila snanam (oil bath) is supposed to make one tired. There are days prescribed in astrological texts for taking thaila snanam, so that the person will not become weak or tired after the snanam.

First of all why should one get tired after oil bath? It is said as per Ayur veda that the vital energy in body such as vatha, kapah etc must be balanced for good health.
    Ayur veda treats a person on the assumption of disturbance to any one of the 5 vital elements in the body and making correctives to them. It is said when one takes oil bath, the balance of these is upset in the body. One can feel it also.
    Usually after an oil bath, one will feel sleepy.

Sleepiness is associated with planet Saturn in astrology. The day of Saturn is a day to take rest. It is ideal to have weekly holiday on Saturday and not on Sun day. (Sun day will make one fully vigorous and active like the Sun. The days were named only on the basis of the attributes of the planets that influence the day by rising as the first hora at sunrise)

Taking oil bath on Saturday best suits the nature of the day influenced so, by Saturn.

As per astrology, chathurthasi is ideal for oil bath.
    In a week Saturday is ideal for oil bath for men and Friday for women.
    It is also said oil bath in the afternoon of Fri day is good.
    One commonality in all these is that Saturn, the ayush kaarakan is ruling Chathurthasi (rikhtha thithi) and saturday.
    Friday is ruled by Indra which also benefits one with chiranjeevithwam.

So the days chosen for oil bath are those ruled by planets that give long life, to offset the supposed fall in the balance of vital energies of the body.

Ref: http://jayasreesaranathan.blogspot.com/2008/01/why-oil-bath.html

Decorated wooden plank (manae) is placed in front of the decorated alter. New clothes which have to be worn after the Ganga Snaanam is neatly piled up on it. A big bowl of Gingelly oil (sesame oil) warmed up with a little Omam (Thymol, Ajwain) is also placed on one side. Just like Ganga is in the bath water, Goddess Lakshmi is supposed to reside in the oil. All the family members wake up well before dawn. The eldest lady of the family performs the 'ennae shastra' – by applying the sacred oil on the head, for all family members. After good oil bath, elders present the family members and all dependants with the new clothes and bless them.

Enney Shatsram:(Pooja for Oil Bath):

For men the names of Seven achievers to be recited are as follows :

" Ashwthamo, Balir Vyaso, Hanumanshcha, Vibhishanaha,

Krupaha Parashuramashcha,Saptaite Chirangivinaha"

For women the five names are as follows:

"Ahalya, Draupati, Seetha, Tara, Mandodari Tatha,

Panchakanyaha Smarennithyam Mahapataka Nashanam"

Reciting as above, the oil from drops set on the arm, is taken in the fingers by the lady and applied to the head, cheeks, shoulders, waist, knees and feet, repeated three times. It is Ashirvadam for the youngster to live long and prosperously.

Now is the time for the Deepawali Marundu or Lehiyam. At least ¼ teaspoon of this marundu (medicine) has to be swallowed by every one before binging on the elaborate sweet spread. This marundu contains all the ingredients to protect one from colds and coughs, indigestion and biliousness

4. shel_28

shel_28 Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitvish,
    Thanks for sharing beautiful stories of the legends.
    After reading it, I could remember those stories. Nostalgia. :) When I was a Kid, I've watched all these stories in the TV.
    Now Ramayanam is going on. At home, everyone would like to watch it. I like the title song.