1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why Do Some People Always Want To Get "compliments"?

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by anika987, Sep 13, 2020.

1. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

@anika987 Do you think you over think and over analyze people's casual remarks and attach unnecessary meanings and emotions to it, even if that is not what people intended at all? I am beginning to get that feeling, seeing how almost everyone you interact with, be it friends or family, always has something ridiculous to say or do!!

Do you not meet normal people at all?! In my close to 15 years of living here, and in my over 30 years of generally living in this world, not even once have I encountered the kind of people you claim to meet.

Dynamite, SGBV and anika987 like this.
  2. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

that was my aunt.We meet a lot coz of family getogethers.

I think less compliments coZ I feel as we age,we get comfortable with ourselves and emoitonally mature and less craving for approval.thats why.

3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

well The above honestly did happen and hence this thread.

First is my aunt. second is my hubby's friend's wife and we meet and third is a friend from next community.

true I do analyze but I cannot deny these things did not or do not happen.So was just curious and hence just a sunday thread:)

4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

well said and the last sentence...so true!

5. Sreevidyaa

Sreevidyaa Silver IL'ite

Not encountered such people personally speaking but one thing I noticed is people on social media wants more attention. That’s the general trend there. If they post any photos or anything, they do so with the expectations of us liking it or commenting about it. If one doesn’t do so then in due course one can expect to be alienated and someone who regularly gives likes comes closer. It all comes down to how many likes and who sort of liked it and maybe they get excited and expect the same in real life, not sure.

anika987 likes this.
  6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Strange.... But I am very happy for you @peartree

In my life, I've encountered several people like the ones @anika987 has mentioned here and in her other threads. But they are relatively very very small in numbers compared to the number of people I interact on a daily basis.

I too believe @anika987 is over analyzing these things; hence they become a concern. In my case, I brush off these kinds of comments, and never take them seriously.
    Because it is their problem after all, what else I could do????

7. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

Hey!
    Honestly I think you need to change your perspective in the title line.
    Industries after industries only thrive on this 'Compliment' business... think social media, think luxury , think retail .... think ..etc etc
    So the best bet is for you to be sure of not falling in the trap as frequently as possible, ; for other times yaar... 'I am human too ' should work!!