Why do people in India look down upon housewives?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Prachi20, Jan 12, 2013.

1. coolwinds

coolwinds Platinum IL'ite

poster 'Absum' put out a thought-provoking reply today on the genesis of this tendency. additionally, people also tend to attach more 'respect' to the earning potential of a job.

1 person likes this.
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Can anyone look down on you if you don't look up to them?

Beauty (or ugliness) lies in the eyes of the look up-er ? :)

3 people like this.
  3. coolwinds

coolwinds Platinum IL'ite

it's just a height problem, Rihana!

sorry for the flippancy, OP....

1 person likes this.
  4. TheSahil

TheSahil Gold IL'ite

Absolutely true! I learned it the hard way and after a while.

5. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

You have nailed it. I believe in putting your education to use, being independent and man and woman equality, but in in India it's all about following an order. I belong to the older age group and have worked on and off. 10 years ago when I was not working, no one said anything, it was the acceptable thing. Now, everyone has suddenly started asking me, why I am not working. On my last trip to India, one of our female relatives asked me, if I was working, when I replied in negative, her response was 'all women are working these days, then why you are not', so basically people don't really think about why a woman should or should not work, but because they should do it as everyone else is doing it.

2 people like this.
  6. Prachi20

Prachi20 Bronze IL'ite

Post deleted

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  7. Prachi20

Prachi20 Bronze IL'ite

@ coolwinds

yes,your suppostion may be right.

i guess you are jealous of people who take things easy and like to live comfortably.yes i am one of those lucky girls who has always lived comfotably with no paucity of money.so if i get a person of similar status it will be a boon.

sorry to say,i guess you dont have any good life. so you are out to rant on those who are luckier.

please pray to god that you too get some success in money matters so that you can utilize your time in better things rather than venting out your frustrations in forums,where no one can see your terrible state.

1 person likes this.
  8. Prachi20

Prachi20 Bronze IL'ite

post deleted

9. Prachi20

Prachi20 Bronze IL'ite

Only your dog is left to talk to you.:eek:mg:please get a life! I am sure you will get some frenz in the US if you try.

Dear, I know why you are on this forum...............to kill your loneliness.Your dog taught you barking.So you are barking in IL on those who think differently.

May God help you get a social life soon,and also a job since you seem to be needy kind!:thumbsup

10. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

Do you realize that someone has worked very hard to give you a comfortable life? How about giving something back? Although I agree with your point about excessive societal pressure to work, I believe everyone should take some responsibility in their life. Many people also work because their conscience would not allow them to be dependent on someone. I knew in girl in college who was from a super rich family, owned five cars but she always traveled by bus because she wanted to be independent and not use what her father earned. I have myself not taken a single penny from my parents or husband after I turned 17, although I am also from a well off family.
    It is not necessary to work for money. If you are too rich and don't need to earn money, you could volunteer for an NGO and do something useful with your time.

sindmani, FreeSpirit20 and Prachi20 like this.