Why do people in India look down upon housewives?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Prachi20, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

personally I feel no one & I mean NO ONE can make you feel inferior /small without yourown consent..........

many a times our own inferiorities make us see Taunts in peoples harmless words.......

and if there is obvious insults on our decision to stay at home or work we should have guts to tell the speaker to mind his/her own buisness.......

1 person likes this.
  2. SaleemaRex

SaleemaRex Gold IL'ite

Sorry to say one of things I don't like in India is the way we treat different people differently (not claiming other countries are superior in this regard). There is nothing high or low about any work (including housework), we are all equals no matter what we do and how much we earn.

1 person likes this.
  3. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

i respect both working and non working women.

the concept of sahf is emerging fast, and i support it, it should be left to the partner, which of the two wants to be the sahp.

BUT I PERSONALLY FEEL, however much we try to equalise between the genders, we really can't go against nature.
    nature has given women the ability to bear and rear children, and likewise to care for the child in the early years.

can a sahf become pregnant, give birth and feed the child?

so ultimately it is left to the woman to do this.
    then i think she should be allowed the liberty of being the sahm with respect, she should not feel guilty of using her dh's mony and people should not see her as a burden on her hubby.

have you seen small girls play? they always play mummy mummy, or with cooking set, with doll's becoming their mum, or at most teacher teacher.

have you seen any girl play CEO CEO?

no, because women are made like that by nature, every woman wants to make her happy nest, it is her ultimate hapiness.

i know my views are a little traditional, but these are just my views, i respect everyones opinion and don't mean to hurt anyone. but this is how i want my future life to be.

1 person likes this.
  4. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Pratchi- You seem to either have misunderstood me or I may not have correctly put my thoughts. Since I seem to have hurt your feeling I will try once more. I am not sure if you are married or not but from the topic, I think not.

My point is first and foremost, dont care about what people will say. People always say something whether you stay at home or are career oriented. I said right in the begining- that kind of decision is to be made between spouses. So if you the "arranged" route to get married, talk it out with you prospective groom. If a guy doe snot like your thoughts, move on to the next one. Basically marry someone who shares your ideas.

You cannot be wrong about my thoughts of "homemakers". My mom is a homemaker and I dont think there is anything more noble or hard (and thankless) than being a full time mom. Its a job for every day of your life until kids are old enough (18 in my books) and I have nothing but absolute respect for people who choose that life.
    My husband earns quite well and if I choose to, I have the luxury of staying at home. I am young and my child is not here yet so I like going to work, meeting people, having challenging assignments and accomplishments, dressing up every morning etc. But I/ we have already considered that I would want to stay at home to take care of my baby when it gets here. So you cannot be wrong about me.

My point simply was the Indian marriage market is all about what each one wants. You may have specific needs and wants and similarly you may have to respect that a prospective groom may have his needs and wants.

I wish you good luck that you find what you are looking for.

1 person likes this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Why do people in India look down upon housewives?
    Because they look down upon househusbands too. They are Equal Opportunity Look-downers. :)

kma, kylie, Anitap and 7 others like this.
  6. Endlesshope

Endlesshope Platinum IL'ite

Lol Rihana, How you crack me up !!!

2 people like this.
  7. coolwinds

coolwinds Platinum IL'ite

prachi, i suppose this sentiment quoted above is what you meant when you posed your question in the thread title.

anyway, i think rihana answered it best!

1 person likes this.
  8. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

think your pils are really harsh on you, by changing their colours. they should have been thankful to you, for allowing their daughter to work.

TRUE

someone in your place would have got really frustrated for not having a work permit, and that too when the wife has one.

Actually someone else in your place (going by the dumb males described in the married thread and In-lwas thread) would not have allowed his wife to chase her dreams the way you have. INdeed it takes a lot of courage.

tell themyou look after the house and your kid, so they should not be complaining[/QUOTE]

Absolutely!!

1 person likes this.
  9. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

10. aminroop

aminroop IL Hall of Fame

what is lacking in India is concept of 'dignity of labour'! that any kind of 'work' is dignified - be it that of a doctor, engineer, ca, a manual labourer, a bus driver or a housewife - is just beyond the comprehension of an average indian.

sindmani, kma, mimi76 and 3 others like this.