Why do people in India look down upon housewives?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Prachi20, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Prachi20

Prachi20 Bronze IL'ite

[FONT=arial,helvetica]people often say that women should work to get respect in society.

if they work,then boys wont ask for dowry.

therefore working women feel on top of the world,that the world respects them.

THIS IS THE BIGGEST EYEWASH WOMEN LIVE WITH!

if we put conditions on women,that if they work,then only we will value them,what happens to housewives?what happens to ill or handicapped women who cannot earn for the family?should they be illtreated?

coming to my second point,if a man refuses dowry from a working girl but expects from a non-working girl,it's clear that he is interested in money.if parents of working girls dont give dowry,he eyes her salary.this is why he says no to dowry.he knows he will get her salary all his life.and we think he's a modern man who is against dowry system and therefore respects her.is this GENUINE respect?

i know of a case where a businesswoman earned quite a lot.so her in-laws and husband really "RESPECTED" her.but a disease struck her and she got bedridden.now that her business was shut down,they changed their colours and forced her to leave this house.and got the son remarried.
    is this the respect women want,that they are not respected as a person,but only when they earn and satisfy everyone's material desires?

instead of spreading this wrong notion in society,that all indian women shud earn money to get this so-called respect from others,should we not teach people that they shud respect every person irrespective of whether he earns or not.A person should be known for his good deedsnot for whether he earns or not.

is love and respect to a woman be based on conditions?cant we respect her simply for the reason that she is god's creation?even a jail inmate has the human right to live in dignity.if the police tortures him,he can complain.so why do we judge a woman as modern or backward,just on the basis of her employment status?

and why do we women feel so elated when someone respects us ONLY when we have a job?Did God ever discriminate b/w working or non-working women?So who are we to judge?
    [/FONT]

2. TheSahil

TheSahil Gold IL'ite

I feel it's just related to money. But at the same time I wonder why is it related to money. when I got married to my wife, my in-laws were really happy. After a couple of years, we had a daughter and my wife got a very promising job here in Norway. I could not get a work visa and we decided that i would stay home and look after the house and our daughter. And my in-laws (MIL and SIL) totally changed colors, they became rude to me and acted as if they were royalty. They still do and I hate them. So i guess it's just all about money, forgetting that keeping a house stable requires effort too, sometimes a lot of effort.

sarvantaryamini, kma, mini1 and 14 others like this.
  3. Khanaksmom

Khanaksmom Silver IL'ite

It is all about the difference between being literate and educated. If a man is educated and has his values in place then they do respect women! My husband not only loves and respects me but also gives me the credit of running the whole show by being a homemaker. Says, he just brings the money but I turn it into value by cooking and taking care of the house and our daughter. I have also seen many well educated men think on the same lines. Its important to be educated and not just literate!

Giri12, sandhya2020, sindmani and 9 others like this.
  4. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

Its all about money, honey :) I think it depends on individual only. Most of them are money minded. So yes, the respect only money, not the person behind.

But, Prachi, such prejudices are not only about money. Its about everything. There are many who are education-minded. They will respect only educated people. If an illiterate fellow makes a lot of money through business, becomes successful, they will still deride him saying he is illiterate and wonder about his fortune.

There are those who respect only businessmen. Even if someone earns well in a job, they will taunt him calling him 'a servant, who works for others.'

Then there are beauty-minded. They will respect only when someone is good-looking or well dressed or well-made-up, etc. Whatever be his/her other qualification, they will only praise his/her face.

Lastly there are artists & sportsmen. One may have education, looks, money everything, but they will still ask whether you sing or dance or play (musical instrument or sport, depending) something.

Respect is not about, men or women or about money or education. Sorry for rambling off topic :hide: But, there are so many instances where even well earning women are not respected at all, that my thoughts got off track. :)

6 people like this.
  5. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

god i have been battling myself with the same issue.

i graduated last year, and i am taking a break, not working.

people have made my life miserable, they keep asking why i am not doing anything?

its not like i do nothing, i am learning to do household chores, as i didn't get to learnthis before since i was living in a hostel. i take care of myself, my diet, go for a walk etc.

but people are not ready to accept this answer.

i am willing to do a job when i get some good offer, but till then i am just happy being at home.

my logic is, we women have alot to do- cooking, household chores, maintaining the house and household, taking care of hubby, bearing children, raising kids, taking care of pils and parents, taking charge family functions etc etc.

what do men do?
    they just earn for the family, nothing more than that.
    so if we are also expected to contribute finincially, then what is left for our men to do?

Giri12, kma, Padmash and 7 others like this.
  6. TheSahil

TheSahil Gold IL'ite

not all the men, but i hear you!

1 person likes this.
  7. thegirlygirl

well, it's quite nice of you to be so considerate to allow your wife to move ahead with her career, while you look after the kids.
    it takes courage to do that.

i think your pils are really harsh on you, by changing their colours. they should have been thankful to you, for allowing their daughter to work.
    someone in your place would have got really frustrated for not having a work permit, and that too when the wife has one.
    but you went ahead and took the right decision.

tell themyou look after the house and your kid, so they should not be complaining

6 people like this.
  8. Prachi20

Prachi20 Bronze IL'ite

actually indian mentality is they follow a trend which others are also following.earlier they looked down upon women who worked.now they look down upon those who dont work.now if the trend changes again and women become housewives,they will again start looking down upon working women.our culture is of "sabki haa me haa milao"(do as others do).

we indians dont believe in being ourselves.if we try to be ourselves,this society will bombard us with questions like you faced.even i have faced similar situations when i was not working.people also made ,my life hell,to the extent i started avoiding those who will embarass me with these questions.

Giri12, kma, shellysethi and 4 others like this.
  9. TheSahil

TheSahil Gold IL'ite

It has gone way beyond that in my case but it's cool to hear your thoughts.

10. thegirlygirl

i completely agree.

an example i can give is of racism.

racism is really a big issue in the west since ages, and now they have addressed it successfully.
    there is racism against blacks and also migrants like indians, and others.

so we indians got so inspired we started anti racism campaigns, like calling someone south indian is racism or just plain distinguishing between differnt castes became racism.

can someone please tell these people, south indians, north indians, gujratis, marwadis, marathis, biharis even pakistanis belong to the same race.
    we all belong to the same race.

racism is discrimination on race i.e colour, like between black and white men, not north indian and south indian, that is called regionalism not racism.

so much for getting inspired by the west.

sorry to go offtrack