Why do Hindus wear religious marks ?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Ms C,

I endorse Kamla, need you ask?? Please you just lead us and we will follow. I would definitely love to read more in depth about the Vedanta philosophies.

Vandhana

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

You are very smart, no doubt!

My dear Kamla,
    I tried to avoid the term "vedanta", which I thought, might scare people away from my forum! You are quite explicit, now.
    The general thinking is, vedanta is for old age, post-retirement etc. Not at all!!
    Nothing like, knowing the fundamentals at a younger age and start thinking about the values they instill in us.
    I thankyou for promptly promising to continue with me.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

3. Chitvish

I am overjoyed, Vandhana!

Your post arrives as I am replying to Kamla.
    That will give me a wider scope of topics to write about. That will be the best Guru Dakshinai, I can think of offering my teacher Swami Paramarthananda, the chief disciple of Swami Dayananda.
    Thanks a ton, my dear Vandhana. I am blessed to have such enthusiasts with me in this forum.
    I promise, I will offer in as simple a platter as I can.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

4. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

We all should be overjoyed!

Hi MRs CV,

i have been saving each and every single topic you have mentioned in this topic for my daughter .Tomorrow if she is going to ask me "Mom why should we go to temple?", "why should we apply bindis" etc i can answer her with confidence. When you are going to enlighten us more on such topics, who would say no?? Just cant wait till next thursday!!!
    WOW!

Purni

5. Chitvish

Thankyou, Purnima!

You must also read & familiarise!! Saving for future alone is not enough.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

6. Surya

Surya Senior IL'ite

Dear Chitra,

last week i was taking care of my neighbours baby who was ill(they both are working) and last week itself i read your post,but only once and had no time to reply. To grab the full essence, i need to read it 2,3 times.
    so today only got time to read again and reply......

I wear vibhuti daily, but i don't know the real meaning...i was thinking that it is to get god's blessings. i used to wonder why vaishanavites wear namam. you clearly explained both. And regarding bindi i have heard that
    nobody can hypnotize or mesmerize if we wear bindi.

regards,
    surya.

7. Chitvish

My dear Surya !

God bless you for taking care of the child, thereby helping the parents.
    Bindi covers the ajna chakra, thereby protecting it. Hence no harm can be done - this answers what you have mentioned!
    Thanks for the F B.
    love & regards,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  8. Deepa

Deepa Senior IL'ite

Wonderful post!

Dear Mrs.Chitra,

Just now got to read this thread. You have explained the most incredible subject of hinduism in a wonderful manner. Living here in the USA, I come across several people that ask me about the significance of the "red dot" I wear. I do explain about our bindi to some extent with my limited knowledge but now you have explained in great detail via this thread which will definitely be helpful to all of us.

Thankyou so much!

Regards,
    Deepa

9. Chitvish

Dear Deepa !

Thankyou for being so regular in sending me the F B s in both my forums.
    I am glad you enjoyed my post.
    It is because we must know the reason for " why do we....", that I am writing these topics. Now you can explain to them clearly !
    love & regards,
    Chithra.

10. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

About a woman who have lost her husband wearing pottu and poo, I too think that the habit should be stopped. I mean, women must wear their pottus even if their husband is not alive.
    But that is their choice also. One of my friend's periamma used to be always well dressed- kancheepuram simple pattu saree, with matching blouse, hanky on the left hip, good amount of gold and diamonds. But her husbad died suddendly of cancer. On the 10th day, she relinquished all these and took up the attire of a sanyasin. She even gave away all her sarees to her daughters and dils. When everyone protested, she said she did all these dressings for the sake of her husband, for hi to enjoy. Now that he is no more, she does not wish to continue. She was so attached to him, she did like that. It is a way of leaving the desires of the world also.
    The same friend's mother also did the same after her husband's death. She was a majestic lady, tall and wellbuilt and very beautiful. And the personality also matched the physical appearance. But she is a poor and shrinking image of herself now. But she is living a life of contentment with her children.
    So it is one's choice. But women should be encouraged to be their own earlier self even after the departure of their husband.
    And, I guess that the women of the Aiyangar sect wear the red namam even when they have lost their husband. They believe that only the Lord Mahavishnu is male in this world, all humans are only athmas who take different roles in the earth.
    With warm wishes,
    varloo

Last edited: Aug 29, 2006