Why do Hindus wear religious marks ?

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Aug 24, 2006.

1. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

Applause!

Hi Mrs CV,

beautiful description of marks on forheads. I had an idea about bindis, but what u wrote about Naamam, Vibhuti etc is certainly worth an applause. Even i used to wonder sometimes...after all vibhuti is ash and why ppl apply it, that too for religious purposes. NOw i am very clear! also i loved your writeup abt naamam. Lakshmi in the middle etc.. Beautiful! Thank you for such enlightenments!

Purni

2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

I am taking the plunge!

Dear Meenu,

In response to your question about women who have lost their husbands wearing a bindi, I totally support the Idea. I know a lot of ladies who have lost their husbands in recent time who do wear a small bindi ( usually black or deep maroon) . And also keep poo. I don't see anything wrong in this. If only Married ladies are supposed to wear bindi, then how come we allow all unmarried girls to do the same? I do not know the reason for which our ancestors made up a rule that all widows should not wear "poo and pottu". In this day of widow remarriage etc.... this stigma that widows should shun bindi etc... should be removed. I think if a proper period of mourning is observed for the departed soul , then what the women does is her business and she should be given the option to choose how to lead her life.
    So that opens the discussion on this topic. Ms C should we start a separate thread for this?

Vandhana

3. shubhavasudevan

shubhavasudevan Senior IL'ite

dear chitra

i read your explanation abt the tilak and bindhi. I wear a small bindhi (sticker) everyday I go to work and all the kids (I work in day care centre) are facinated by that.Almost everyone of them will ask me what it is. For slightly older kids I tell them it is our cuiture but the small ones around 2 to 3 yrs of age think it is an injury and ask abt it in their words. I tell them it is not and make them touch it and feel it. I am so proud of our culture and try to follow it wherever I can.

IThank you for the information which is hard to get these days.

With Best regards
    shubha.

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Meenu..

All our lives, we women dress up and look a cetain way. Wearing bindi and flowers and bangles become a second nature to us women and most of us use makeup in various degrees. How harsh is it to deny her all this because she has lost her spouse. Not only is she deeply distressed at the loss of her life partner and soul mate, she also loses her identity and sense of normality if she is not allowed her usual attire. I totally oppose this practice. It is solely upto the woman to decide how she wants to present herself to the world. My own mom wore flowers in her hair and a big kunkuma pottu every day of her life. It was impossible to imagine her in any other way. After my dad passed away, both my sister and I have encouraged her to keep on using bindi and she does that..although it is a little smaller in size and a sticker bindi.

L, Kamla

5. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shubha!

In a different society, we, Hindus, look different with these marks. It was with the idea of making everybody realise that it is not just decorative but has a deeper significance, that I posted this at all.
    Thankyou for the F B.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

6. Chitvish

Dear Vandhana & Kamla!

I totally endorse your views. We were born with all these " adayalams". So there is no reason, why a woman should give up, when she loses her husband.
    But at the same ime, I wish to make one point clear. It should be left to the individual to take the decision and others should not force their ideas on her. They can coax her, perhaps even plead with her, but ultimately the final decision should be one's own.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

7. Hopefloats

Hopefloats New IL'ite

Dear Mrs CV

I have been following this thread very closely and I was totally immersed today when I read about the topic on "thiru neer".....we want you to know that we totally appreciate you taking efforts to research a topic and then post it in such a way that it is simple and plain and thereby captures our interest. Thank you.

Regarding the question raised by meenu, like vandhana, a part of the present generation does not mind if widows wear "pottu and poo", but in reality i see that the person in question minds a lot thinking about "what others will think of her".....so the thought that comes to my mind is - let us live for ourselves - so lets begin at home. My cousin sister aged only 29, who is divorced, attended her own younger brother's engagement without poo and a small black pottu. It was a horrible sight for me. I was not able to enjoy the engagement but kept thinking about her. She says somehow she associates poo and pottu to a happily married lady - sumangali. I could not explain it to her then.....but for my cousin brothers wedding i think i will succeed with the help of the tips I Lites have provided.

hopefloats

8. Chitvish

Thankyou, Hopefloats!

More than only appreciating the post, you have been kind enough to appreciate the efforts I put in - a big salute to you, my dear Asha! ( I do not know your name, but I am just translating your name!) Waiting for your "Who am I" to know your " hidden name".
    For each topic, I start preparing a month ahead, grab all the literature I can get (which is never so easy) and note down main points. Then I put it in my words, in as simple a language as possible. But believe me, I just love and enjoy every minute of this procedure. I also learn so many things new!
    Honestly, I am more than amply rewarded when I get such enjoyable mails that you learn a lot about our culture from these postings.
    Please continue with me, my young friend.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

9. Chitvish

My dear Friends, who visit this forum!

I am just thinking loudly, please share your thoughts with me.
    My Vedanta teacher says, besides explaining social customs like " Why do we....", I must introduce the elementary abstract principles in our religion.
    He says, ultimately that will take us to a higher level of thinking.
    So, next week, I plan to post " what are human goals according to Hindu religion". Ofcourse I plan to alternate light & heavy topics.
    Friends, please be patient enough to read them, 2-3 times which will help you understand better. The jargons should not scare you away. I assure you, I will gather all my ability to present the topics in as simple a manner as possible.
    I want us all to elevate our levels of thinking slowly and steadily to higher planes in life.
    Your ideas are welcome.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Need you ask?

Dear Chitra,

Whatever you have suggested seems good to me. You now know the pulse of this group. You are catering to our best interest and knowledge. Also, altering heavy and light topics is a wise idea.

Here I am, sitting in the comfort of my own home and you want to offer Vedanta in its most simplest form which will appear on my screen at the click of a button. I will be the most unfortunate person to refuse such a holy luxury!

Thanks for being such a gem.

L, Kamla