Why Do Bad Things Happen If God Exists??

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by anika987, May 10, 2018.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I am god fearing..I still am BUT now I feel indifferent...

I am an ardent sai baba devotee and many good things have happened due to the existence of my god and that's what I believe..or is it my positive faith?

Anyways why do innocent kids get raped?why do innocent children gets gunned down?Karma?and take it light?No..

Is there any explanation of why these things happen?

uniquename likes this.

2. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

The soul is indestructible, and the soul cannot be subject to physical hurt.
    The manifestation of physical body and worldly things is a different matter altogether.
    If you don't separate the two and view them as combined, then no explanation will be satisfactory explanation.
    As to whether God is supposed to 'prevent things from happening', I've sometimes wished the same, but I'm not sure whether that's something that's part of His job description, sadly.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    anika987, sindmani, ashima10 and 2 others like this.
  3. ratan

ratan Gold IL'ite

God is ocean of knowledge, love n bliss. We can get all his powers, when we connect to him. To interfere in karmic accounts of humanbeings is not his job. Whatever we sow in present or past's births, we have to reap definately. God can only give us strength to suffer our karma smoothly. We hv to be karma fearing not God fearing. He is supreme soul, father of all souls . How Parampita, paramatma can give us any punishment?

anika987, Ragini25 and messedup like this.
  4. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

you can be agnostic , you can be atheist you can be a believer .
    I m sure god doesn’t care about what you / any individual feel about them.
    It’s your faith and Faith is something beyond logic .

these questions do comes to my mind , the disgust created by humans and we seek answers from the who we don’t really know .Or whose existence we do easily question all the time !
    I get you but i can’t explain .

5. ratan

ratan Gold IL'ite

I agree with you. Faith never can be decribe by words. Its beyond logic.

anika987 and Ragini25 like this.
  6. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

Rapists doing the crime who no doubt are criminals. But what about the politicians who are appointed for the welfare of common person are destroying their rights eating their money without any regret and giving dodgy comments that goes in favour of these criminals.

anika987 and Star25 like this.
  7. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

This question has repeatedly been raised at many points in history. Two significant events that spawned vast literature on the subject are the great Lisbon earthquake of 1755, often interpreted as a turning point for rationalism in the West, and the Holocaust. If you wish to ponder reconciling the benevolence of a merciful God with the existence of evil (theodicy), then those are good places to begin.
    One answer: Facing the Abusing God (1993)

Book Blurb: "In this very powerful book, David Blumenthal maintains that having faith in a post-holocaust world means admitting that while God is often loving and kind, fair and merciful, God is also capable of acts so unjust they can only be described as abusive. Grounding his argument in the scriptures and in the experience of holocaust survivors and of survivors of child abuse. Blumenthal grapples with how to face a God who works "wondrously through us" and who has worked "aw(e)fully against us". Delving into Jewish literary and theological traditions, the author articulates a theology of protest which accepts God as God is, yet defends the innocence of those who are utterly victimized."

Also see: Night by Elie Wiesel

Greenbay, Laks09, joylokhi and 2 others like this.
  8. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Combined with the above.

9. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

True, anika. This is a question that is often in my mind when we get to hear of all the rape/torture /killing of innocent souls such as infants! what did they do to deserve all this? and why is God silent in such situations?
    The search goes on for a convincing answer to date. I am religious enough to visit temples frequently, offer prayers daily and do believe in a supreme being. INspite of this, wish we could get an answer to this. I read up /listen to a lot of talks/teachings of various gurus/sadhgurus, and what i can gather is that what is handed out to each one is not in our hands. All we can and should do is to lead a life where we are truthful to ourselves first and to those around and not knowlngly hurt/cause harm to others.

anika987 and ratan like this.
  10. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Anika,

There is! If you are feeling bit adventurous and serious about it, then do one of those Charles Mathewes's courses on Amazon Prime. It may not eliminate your angst but make it manageable.

This universal speculation on the existence of evil within every religion has greatly been explored, tussled with, and documented that we have much accessible corpus now to examine the study of evil as necessary or inalienable manifestation in humanity.

Usually I recommend syllabic courses to standalone material because a better understanding is developed from chronological inspection on how fallen angels or banal henchmen were perceived and accounted for through the writings of Hobbes, Montaigne, Nietzsche, Camus, Hannah Arendt.

Also, important to cultivate the vocabulary to express our incredulity. Like, your hesitancy on the prevalence of evil is called 'theodicy'. Though the vocabulary is enabling more than essential, as I mentioned, if you intend to dive with an all-out passion to comprehend the unsettling evil amongst us, you better do it with steadfast and earnest intent, because that pursuit is fulfilling over other expedient and low-hanging avocations fraught with emotionally-charged and unyielding palavers.

Thyagarajan and anika987 like this.