1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why Arjuna was Chosen ??

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Shanvy, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Whenever I see the picture or statue of Githopadesha, this is one question that hits me…why Arjuna, why not Bheeshma or the other pandavas and another question why the battlefield..?

I even had a heated discussion online with Veda(Rant) on the same. So this is how we used the rule of elimination to come to an answer which may be apt or may not be...

Why not Bheeshma... He had already vowed celibacy and beyond human nature, and moreover bheeshma was tied by his own duties..

Then Yudhistir, who, was the embodiment of truth, which was again more a rare character and he followed dharma... Bhima the embodiment of strength, he was rarer again and he did not care for the intricacies of Gita... Nakula knows <st1:place>Krishna</st1:place> inside out… Infact Nakula ties up krishna and finally krishna has to beg him to release him. Sahadeva was too much involved in his astrology…

<st1:place>Krishna</st1:place> could have chosen Arjuna because he was main player in the war. The war will not be over till kauravas killed him. And again it is said only two people can kill him.Bheeshma who had declared that he would not harm the Pandavas and the other one was Karna who will not fight as long as Bheeshma was in the battlefield…<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    So if it was Arjuna, he had many opportunities to teach him the gita.. then why the battlefield… When Arjuna asks <st1:place>Krishna</st1:place> to drive the chariot to the middle of the battle field so that he can 'see' whom he has to fight, Arjuna stands alone on a neutral level with bhagawan krishna as a companion… It is at that moment he realises the enormity of the situation that his relationship with the ones he was gearing to kill and the ones he was defending were same.

It is then Arjuna distraught at the situation, takes shelter under Lord krishna and says I am thy disciple, hence making <st1:place>Krishna</st1:place> his guru… So <st1:place>Krishna</st1:place>, to lift the spirit of Arjuna took this as an opportunity to teach Gita to the whole world through Arjuna… It is more as an upadesam from a guru to a disciple.

If we seriously consider the situation of Arjuna, a skilled archer, brave and adept, he is weakened by the attachment and also blames himself for the situation…<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    So he shows more human nature… Sometimes, we too get into situations where the decisions could be life changing also...At that time, it is better to detach from all things and look at it with the guidance of God.

What is your view on this??.let us share:cheers

<o:p></o:p>

2. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

he was nara, the man with emotion, who would cry when situation called for and was ready to look at reality and plead to the lord for his grace, and i think he was worth every thing here for the lord to choose him to pass on the upadesam.
    His only yoga was striving
    Fulfilling his duties in living
    Yet, it was he,Not Bheema, Yudishtra or Karna
    Who became worthy of
    the Lord’s great song<!--fontc-->
    <!--/fontc--><!--sizec--><!--/sizec--><!--colorc-->
    <!--/colorc-->

3. RamyaVaradharajan

RamyaVaradharajan Bronze IL'ite

A topic to be pondered on dear most Shanthi ma'am.

Arjuna, the Peerless Archer, was very reluctant when his "Sarathy" (Arjuna's Personal charioteer being the Lord Krishna) drove the chariot amidst the warring sides.

Now the question that you have put forth. Let we ponder on the possibilities. The following are my conclusions after a chit-chat that I had with my father. Pl do apologize if I had gone wrong anywhere. Always we can correct ourselves if found wrong !!

Dharmaputra being an embodiment of pure "dharma" and is said to be personification of "truth" itself. Even with such qualities, Dharmaputra failed to use his sense of discrimination when it came to pledging their own selves to the wicked Kauravaas in the game of dice. Dharmaputra always remained calm and patient and hence could not be chosen to represent Pandavas during war.

Bhima, the personification of strength, always wanted to fight out the Kauravaas for what they were. Bhima cannot evolve peace within himself when rage and fury fills him for the unjust behavior of the Kauravaas. Hence righteousness at times fails in his act.

Nakula and Sahadeva were immersed in the art of relating their self to the cosmic activities and they did good to all, irrespective of the goodness or badness in their opponent. Nakula always tried to follow the path of his eldest brother Dharmaputra, and filled calmness and tranquility within himself. Sahadeva was even more calmer in doing his routine astrological works, thereby both the younger brothers went on in an union.

Thus was the state and the "Law of Karma" (do good, get good; do bad,get bad) went beyond the circular motion; thereby called in for ways to solve the problem. The four ways that the Lord offered were:
    (1) Saamam : with piousness, purity and objectivity, a problem is solved
    (2) Bedham : allowing the difference of opinion to creep in, the problem is solved
    (3) Dhaanam : problem is solved by giving away something or sacrificing. In this process we will lose something with the opponent gain over the same. Still a preferred way !
    (4) Dhanda : to fight or to war. When the Lord found "Sarve jana Sukino Bhavanthu" moved its head to the thrash, he spins his coin to adapt to fight the "good" over the "evil".

Divine purpose and plan cannot be altered or affected in any way. Cause and effect are programmed by the divine and are revealed to us by our senses. When goodness is thwarted or challenged God takes his form, to protect it according to the law of Dharma.

Divine power and relation can be felt only if one truly surrenders to the feet of God and this is what was adapted by Arjuna (Shiva's avatar) with Lord Krishna (Vishnu's avatar). Arjuna always left himself with self-criticism, introspection, meditation, reflection and then evolved into a "transformed being" every time he does so. Hence was dear and near to the Lord himself. Arjuna had always had his two edges equally balanced : One edge being "righteousness" in his behavior and the other edge being "to respect divinity". He was calm, compact and practical & was very flexible for the "Dharmic war".

With more introspection and facts I will bounce back ma'am.

You had left me in deep thoughts for the whole day today :):)

Regards
    RamyaVaradharajan

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi sunkan,

thanks for stepping in with you views.

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

ramya,

Though I have come up with a sketchy reply. you have done apt justice with your detailed analysis...

this topic was in my mind for quite some time...

let me see what others have to say...

6. RamyaVaradharajan

RamyaVaradharajan Bronze IL'ite

You had really left me in deep thoughts dear Shanthi ma'am. But the analysis that struck the chord in me, I felt was not coherent enough. Will surely try discussing with my father and get back with even more clean and neat analysis!!

Thanks for the wonderful topic. Hats off to all your blog entries ma'am. Just getting a hint as to my blog articles after going through the "legend's pen-touch: here at IL. Slowly but steadily I will catch upon :)

Regards
    RamyaVaradharajan

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Dear ramya,

My son reads mahabaratha and ramayana so many times in a month,and everytime we get a new story in the process,from the existing.

The season being new year and calendars being distributed by everyone, this is one picture that has made me think,debate a lot.

But my son said why are you so interested in this topic. it is out of line. you write about other stories in general.
    Veda said it is a too dry debate not for blogging..
    but me being me...passionate about my topics,wrote about it here.
    with comments from you it is really interesting.

8. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

A very thoughtful question and no one better to ask it than you Shanthi..and thank God you did the analysis and replied for me.I thoroughly enjoyed your analysis and replies posted here.. I am glad you went ahead and wrote about it..If time persists please elaborate on your line..."he is weakened by the attachment and also blames himself for the situation…"..thank you<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p></O:p>

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

AC,

Now with senthan recommending a book, let me go through that and come back with a better view and let us discuss...

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Senthan,
    Thanks for stepping in....

Somehow missed this book. let me check it out...I have read autobiography of a yogi and his man's eternal quest...

Will get hold of the book and ... called my librarian...he says it is a two volume book...is it true...or do you get a condensed version...

Would have liked a little elaboration by you...